LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Profiled again?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 10:29 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Profiled again?

Since I was given some crap about my last video from SC. I decided to be nice and give way too much info and roll down my window all the way. I could have left my window down to my ear and said I dont answer any questions and said am I free to go or am I being detained. He would have had to let me go since he had no legitimate reason for pulling me over. He didn't have to follow me almost 9 miles to the street I live on to say I can't read your plate. At least he said sorry to bother you.

Attached Thumbnails Profiled again?-followed.jpg  
Old 01-17-14, 11:21 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

may be time to go back to the stock tag lighting, just to avoid the hassle!

I do not like being pulled over!!!
Old 01-18-14, 12:34 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

My cousin was behind me with her mom. following from the restaurant and went the back roads route as soon as the sheriff pulled out behind her.. not sure if its in the youtube clip I might have cut it out she drives by. When I got to the house my mom was laughing at me. Step dad isnt to happy about bring followed and pulled over for nothing. The way the sheriff pulled out on to the street from an old gas station I knew he was coming for me. Theres retired folk that drive exotics and classics around here I dont see why big lip chrome and lowered says drug dealer to them.
Old 01-18-14, 01:08 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I go bone stock on my LS400 - can't get more classy, and so low profile that cops do not even see you!
Old 01-18-14, 07:03 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by dengman
Theres retired folk that drive exotics and classics around here I dont see why big lip chrome and lowered says drug dealer to them.
My take is that "big lip chrome and lowered" absolutely screams that you are likely between the ages of 16 and 30 years old which I'm betting is within the age range that authorities profile as most likely to be involved with illegal drugs.

I don't think you are going to find "retired folk" driving "big lip chrome and lowered" vehicles.

Not that you are doing it but I have to say that I am amused when people do illegal mods - especially excessive window tint and blinding aftermarket HID - and then complain about getting pulled over by police.

I'm convinced that one of the best "mods" for preventing getting stopped by the police - particularly for DWB - is to have a veteran's license plate. Here's mine. Just don't get your *** shot off earning the right to have one.
Attached Thumbnails Profiled again?-license-plate-frame-2.jpg  
Old 01-18-14, 11:24 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That is the drill for having a modded car.
Old 01-18-14, 11:29 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

I turn 29 in April. but from what i hear 40 is the new 30. If I get a new toy I'd put my 17s back on and raise it back up some. The LS is my current toy and the MDX is the driver.

Last edited by dengman; 01-18-14 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spell check phone autocorrect sucks.
Old 01-18-14, 01:45 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Why wouldn't you roll the window down all the way or give him too little info? Ha ha! When people do stuff like that, you are just asking for them to dig deeper! Its all discretionary, and little traffic stops like this are how they caught people like Timothy Mcveigh!
Old 01-18-14, 02:06 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He had a valid reason to pull you over---he couldn't read your plate. I wouldn't test your theory that he "had to let you go" too often. He sounded very professional to me and he didn't write you a ticket when he certainly could have, but you are still complaining?

And this business about you being followed, do you think that all the other cars around you think they were also being "followed" by this same officer?

I think I heard you say your family owns a restaurant? Do you enjoy people that are pr#$ks and a$$holes at your business?
Old 01-18-14, 03:26 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
Why wouldn't you roll the window down all the way or give him too little info? Ha ha! When people do stuff like that, you are just asking for them to dig deeper! Its all discretionary, and little traffic stops like this are how they caught people like Timothy Mcveigh!
I have nothing to hide. I play by the books. Straight as an arrow. Ive had my time of stupid before I turned 18.

Originally Posted by midwest2
He had a valid reason to pull you over---he couldn't read your plate. I wouldn't test your theory that he "had to let you go" too often. He sounded very professional to me and he didn't write you a ticket when he certainly could have, but you are still complaining?

And this business about you being followed, do you think that all the other cars around you think they were also being "followed" by this same officer?

I think I heard you say your family owns a restaurant? Do you enjoy people that are pr#$ks and a$$holes at your business?
The last time I was followed by unmarked county sheriff vehicles from when I got on the highway to the gas station and as soon I got back on the highway I was followed again to the private street I live on. I'm aware of the vehicles around me when I drive. I emailed the Sheriff at the county about them following on that particular evening. No response.

Last night he played it cool because I played it cool. If I was more serious he wouldnt have been laughing. I was never followed by this deputy before. But I have seen him at a random check point that the State of NC allows.

This is small town friendly area. Where people retire and have Online businesses. Its so small town friendly I'd say theres a few folks in the witness protect program.

As for the restaurant if there was ever the case of dbaggery I have the right to show them the door. If they want to pay me all in pennys I have the right not to accept their pennys. No shoes no shirt no service.

Theres 6 agencys within 20 mile radius from where I am at. NC/SC bordering town agencies, sheriff agencies, state agencies. Any time any deputy follows a car theres more pressure on the driver. The ones that tend to get pulled over are inexperienced drivers or someone with something to hide.

I was followed for 9 miles in the boonies. " I didn't follow you because of your car". It took him 9 miles to tell me he couldn't read my plate?
Old 01-18-14, 04:21 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I thought the cop was actually pretty respectful. To be honest cops pull lots of people over for less than legitimate reasons and can get away with it but as long as your not doing anything illegal and your license/registration are good it should not be a problem. Unless it's the same cop then just make a complaint.
Old 01-18-14, 06:16 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cop was respectful and had a decent although not great reason to pull you over..... Don't get bent out of shape about it, because you weren't doing anything wrong and only lost 2.5mins of your life to a honest sounding guy just doing his job. that said, you were being a bit of a **** about how you were talking to him and were obviously irritated by the pull over. As a general rule, that is a good way to give a cop a reason to flip the switch and BE a **** to you. Also, it's best to ask all of your questions before you hand over your license and registration. I have a bunch of customers who are cops up here and all of them get really annoyed when people stick their heads out of the car to ask more questions as they are walking back to the squad car....

And for the record, I was pulled over A LOT as a youth.... You can flex your rights all you want but you still have to be polite and courteous, as if you were talking your girlfriends parents/grandparents for the first time!
Old 01-18-14, 06:53 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

my car is modded to death..lowered..tinted windows beyond legal..sound system..chrome wheels and low profile tires,angel eye headlights,chrome grille and I never get hasseled so don't tell me its expected. maybe u were profiled maybe not but looking at ur car it doesn't scream gangsta to me..and btw a stock LS is a boring LS!
Old 01-18-14, 07:10 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Last night he played it cool because I played it cool. If I was more serious he wouldnt have been laughing."

I'd hope so, it's called training.

BTW, why IL plates (unreadable ones at that) in NC?
Old 01-18-14, 11:49 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by midwest2
"Last night he played it cool because I played it cool. If I was more serious he wouldnt have been laughing."

I'd hope so, it's called training.

BTW, why IL plates (unreadable ones at that) in NC?
I live in Illinois. Visiting family in NC. for months at a time.

I haven't had a ticket in probably over 8 years is my guess. If I was speeding or didn't use my turn signal I would have owned up to it and would have been completely nice and wouldnt have said much or asked questions because I would have known I broke the law and there wouldnt have been much to say. I was actually sitting there for 12 minutes. The video was edited.

The whole plate light thing from two different stops just blows my mind.

http://www.theus50.com/licenses-state.php
no plates look remotely the same. He said he tried two states. In those nearly 12 minutes of following me Im certain he could have tried at least 8.
Attached Thumbnails Profiled again?-20140117_225122.jpg  

Quick Reply: Profiled again?