LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

96 LS400 Power Steering Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 03:02 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i replaced my rack boots a few months ago and now i see them leaking out with fluid. what's the fix? new rack?
just new oil seals, Toyota p/n 90310-26016, but as I have preached above, just make sure this is really where the fluid is coming from, as a great deal of the time the PS fluid has migrated there from a leaking hose, reservoir o-ring etc.

PS fluid is very sneaky and will fool ya about its source!
Old 02-20-14, 11:34 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i replaced my rack boots a few months ago and now i see them leaking out with fluid. what's the fix? new rack?
pull the boots off and you'll see if they're full of fluid...

There's a place in socal that'll rebuild your rack for pretty cheap, pm me if you need contact info.
Old 02-27-14, 01:18 PM
jscoda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeok18109
hell im attempting to delete the ACV now. I removed the PS pump/red and alt from vehicle (92 LS). The Attempted to stuff a drainplug/bolt with same thread pitch as the acv itself. teflon taped the crap out of it but it doesnt get "tight" . dunno what to do. when i bought car the pump/res were already reman and it was a new alternator. im hoping it wasnt leaking on it too long. there is some residue on the shiny alt but with some brake clean/air gun hope to clean it all out and dried out.
Went to Autozone to see the Toyota Tech who works there and he told me to use a oil pan plug. Works perfect without teflon tape. Get the short plug and it tightens snug.
Old 02-27-14, 01:24 PM
jscoda
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
better do it soon, I waited just a few weeks to get around to it, and it cost me an alternator!!
Hey Cowboy....remember a few weeks ago someone said they pressure washed their alternator and after drying it works again. Guess they washed away the ps fluid. Was it pressure wash or de-grease or both? I have the same problem now with the o ring leaking and the alternator decided to quit working and since am doing the o ring replacement thought I would pull the alternator and give it a "bath"....lol. What do you think?
Old 02-27-14, 01:33 PM
Aeok18109
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i managed to find the plug and sealed that port off. capped the 2 vacuum line ports on the intake and manifold. refilled everything with the universal ATF drum from work and bled system. been driving cara few days now. still have to get it washed thoroughly and look for leaks. i see a puddle here and there of atf/PS fluid so im sure its run off from spillage. still whines a bit but sooo much better. at least i can turn the boat now.
Old 02-27-14, 01:47 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

it's much easier to tell if you still have a leak, if you will remove the plastic under shroud and leave it off for a few days - and it is perfectly fine to leave it off for a while
Old 02-27-14, 03:15 PM
Aeok18109
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car doesnt even have one of those. im not even running the top of engine plastic covers over the timing belt and other stuff. gonna leave it like that for a few days till im sure all the bugs are worked out of getting my pile running again
Old 02-01-16, 08:30 PM
gngai
Driver School Candidate

Hey All, my 97 has a PS leak and I'll be trying to locate the source of it. Appreciate the info. I may just op for replacing with an aftermarket PS pump. Does anyone have particular experience with a good brand/model number? I've heard some "guaranteed to fit" pump actually Don't or fail soon afterwards. Thanks.
Old 02-01-16, 08:35 PM
gngai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jscoda
Went to Autozone to see the Toyota Tech who works there and he told me to use a oil pan plug. Works perfect without teflon tape. Get the short plug and it tightens snug.

Hi, do you have a specific description for the "short plug" Seems like a nicer option. Cant believe it works without the Teflon or thread sealer. Thanks.
Old 02-02-16, 06:39 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by gngai
Hi, do you have a specific description for the "short plug" Seems like a nicer option. Cant believe it works without the Teflon or thread sealer. Thanks.
id the same thing when I replaced mine. I had several old oil plugs lying around(I put in magnetic plugs in all my cars) and one of them fit perfectly.
Old 02-02-16, 03:08 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

yes - all years, that is pretty much the order of things, occasionally the problem is in low pressure return line or even pump itself, and I have never seen an LS400 rack that was truly leaking (more than just the slightest seep, which is a "who cares?" )
the rack in my ucf20 is truly leaking. bad luck i guess. and its really really leaking
Old 02-04-16, 05:04 PM
sndlight
Driver

I thought mine was leaking but it is just the ps pump pissing everywhere
Old 10-23-18, 10:50 AM
magnificen
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch. I am in the same predicament as we speak. My alternator went out after replacing it just two years ago. At the time, my PSP was leaking but did not have the funds to fix the problem. Now that my alternator is gone for a second time, it looks like i am going to take care of the leak and the alternator all together. I would like to be able to do the power steering myself but i don't exactly have a mechanic's shop in my garage (lack of tools).
better do it soon, I waited just a few weeks to get around to it, and it cost me an alternator!!
Old 03-20-19, 01:47 AM
2ndGenLS
Driver School Candidate

would you happen to know the part number of the high pressure hose? the hose that's connected to the PS pump and connects to the rack. I have replaced the o ring, crush washer and idle up valve only to find a pin ***** hole in the hose next to the valve half way along that hose. any info appreciated.
Old 03-20-19, 08:25 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by magnificen
Ouch. I am in the same predicament as we speak. My alternator went out after replacing it just two years ago. At the time, my PSP was leaking but did not have the funds to fix the problem. Now that my alternator is gone for a second time, it looks like i am going to take care of the leak and the alternator all together. I would like to be able to do the power steering myself but i don't exactly have a mechanic's shop in my garage (lack of tools).
I did the entire PS Pump with 3/4" tekton tool kit ($40 on amazon), a breaker bar from Harbor freight, Torque wrench loaned from AutoZone. Sure its going to take time but possible.

Quick Reply: 96 LS400 Power Steering Fluid Leak