LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just bought a 1997 LS400 with 111,000 miles any maintenance advise to start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 11:54 AM
Colington
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one can tell me weather or not the timing has been done fur sure. I've called both local dealers to see if a record exists and pulled the carfax for further insight. I'm leaning towards doing it to be sure. As tommy0tool said, a grand is expected on an older car. That being said, Amazon has the whole kit (water pump, tensioner, belt, etc) for $150-210 ish depending on brand. "Asin" seems to be the favorite. Does anyone know the right part number for my 1997? And is it a good idea to buy the parts and ask someone to just instal them?
Old 01-22-14, 12:44 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Aisin TKT-030

Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump

kit Includes: AISIN Water Pump, KOYO Idler Bearing, NSK Tensioner Bearing, NTN Hydraulic Tensioner, Mitsuboshi Timing Belt

Aisin is a large division of the Toyota group, as is Nippon Denso

these two companies made most all of the critical and important parts of your LS400

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 01-22-14 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 01:45 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

LScowboy- You're a great asset to this club. I can tell you love your 96 LS very much. It probably in great shape & deserved to be loved as it's a wonderful machine. I still have my 97 LS, bought it when it was only a year old so it has been with the family for 16 years now with practically zero defect. In facts, my kids grew up with this car & my wife still prefer to drive it over my 08 Z51 Corvette & 04 Stang. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-24-14, 09:01 PM
mbonne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I would do the following:

● go to local Lexus dealership and give them your VIN and they will
give you a record of all maintenance that has been done (timing belt,
etc.) - if the timing belt was over 90K or more than 10 years ago, I
would have it done now.

● read the LS400 FAQ here on Club Lexus

***● replace caps, rotors, plug
wires and plugs (genuine Toyota on caps & rotors, OEM Denso or NGK is
fine on plugs & wires)

***● replace Engine Coolant Temp
Sensor (ECTS) with genuine Toyota part (big difference in mileage and
power)

***● fix your power steering leak
(you very likely have one and it will kill your alternator!)

***● clean throttle body,
especially butterfly area

● replace air filter and PCV valve

***● replace strut bar bushings if
this has not yet been done

ECU
capacitors
(future very likely problem area and

Pure BS, no real way of know one way or another: you get free
low end power now and even nicer shifting)

● change oil (use a name brand full synthetic 5W-30 such as Pennzoil
Ultra or Platinum, Mobil 1, etc.)

***● change tranny fluid (do NOT
have tranny flushed, just changed like the oil, use only genuine
Toyota T-IV fluid and a new drain bolt and gasket)

***● change differential fluid

***● change coolant (be sure to use
genuine Toyota long-life red)

***● consider a new fuel cap, new
coolant reservoir cap, and new positive battery terminal (use Toyota
parts on all 3 of these)

***● four wheel alignment

● a set of one of the following three sets of tires: Michelin Primacy
MXV4, Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, Bridgestone Turanza
Serenity Plus

● inspect condition of main drive belt, all fluid levels and condition
of all hoses

● inspect brakes

if you do these things, the power will be back, and you will have a
reliable daily driver!

genuine Toyota parts are available online for ~25% discount from
online dealerships such as Lexus of South Atlanta, Park Place Lexus,
Lexus Parts Now, Sewell Lexus, etc.)

on outer tie rod ends, the Toyota ones are cheap enough at discount to
go ahead and use those, on inner tie rods ends, I would probably save
the money over the very pricey factory parts and use Raybestos Pro or
possibly Beck-Arnley
Items marked *** are a total waste
of time/money/parts/labor/etc, etc.

My 1995 LS400 is now at 280,000 miles, factory ATF, diff'l fluid.
Coolant would in all likelihood still be factory except for timing
belt change (~$500, third party) first at 180,000 miles, second just
recently when I put it up for sale. Water pump was replaced during
second belt change.
Old 01-25-14, 04:07 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey i bought a '94 LS 400 and it needs about the same things your car does! I got the Aisin timing belt kit for $205, need to fix the power steering leak (easy job), and also replace the ECT just to improve power.......the threads in this club is GOLD like my LS400!
Old 01-25-14, 07:54 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mbonne
Items marked *** are a total waste
of time/money/parts/labor/etc, etc..
LOL!!

please ignore any new forum members that will try to tell you that standard maintenance items that have been shown on this forum to prolong the life of your LS400 or save you money and hassle down the road are "pure BS" or "a total waste"

for example,

● if you ignore your power steering leak, you get to buy a new alternator as well!

● if you ignore alignment, you get to spend en extra $500+ on tires prematurely for no reason

● if you ignore your coolant, you will by buying an expensive radiator and possibly a $2000 heater core job

● if you ignore engine coolant temp sensor, distributor caps. rotor, wires, plugs, ECU caps, etc then your LS400 is not getting anywhere near the mileage and power it did when it was new, and failing ECU caps will eventually corrode the main circuit board of your ECU to the point where you will have to replace the entire ECU as well as the caps!

● if you ignore your strut bar bushings, you have a possibly unsafe situation in the from suspension as well as an annoying clunk

● if you ignore the transmission mount, you will have needless vibration inside the cabin!

● if you ignore changing the transmission fluid and filter, you likely take 100-150K off of its life expectancy not to mention shift quality, just ask Aisin!

all of these things are cheap, and the smart people will spend a little now to save a lot of heartache and expense later!

Last edited by RA40; 01-25-14 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Pic removed
Old 01-25-14, 10:51 AM
mbonne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
LOL!!

please ignore any new forum members that will try to tell you that standard maintenance items that have been shown on this forum to prolong the life of your LS400 or save you money and hassle down the road are "pure BS" or "a total waste"

"New" member, yes. but with driving/maintenance history going back to 1950's farm tractors, plus one "farm" Jeep of WWII era. No less than 6 LS400's "under my belt", 90, 91, 3 92's and the current 95, plus 2 RX300's, '00 & '01 (still have the '01, AWD, pushing 100,000) and a 2000 GS300. the 91 and one 92 still in the family, both also with over 200,000 miles.

for example,

● if you ignore your power steering leak, you get to buy a new alternator as well!

I have repaired and/or replaced several LS400 PS pumps, and/or DIY blocking of the idle-up valve. Only one Alternator replaced. That was due to copper slip rings having worn down to the bare metal of the alternator shaft. Yes, the leaking PS pump will often cover the PS pump, but will not cause subsequent failure. But like replacing the water pump with timing belt job, replacing an alternator awash in ATF is a useless waste of money.

Mechanics with a need to pay an offspring's tuition will have an easy job of convincing mostly unknowing, inexperienced, customers of the need to replace a perfectly good, fully functional, alternator.

(St,D)ealer mechanic/technician: "Just look at it's (external) condition".

My bet would be that you could soak, fully soak, an alternator in PS fluid for 10 years and the PS fluid would not be corrosive enough to do damage.

● if you ignore alignment, you get to spend en extra $500+ on tires prematurely for no reason

How many sets of tires do you suppose all those LS400's went through during my ownership, being the primary driver? Wheel alignment = NONE. I did have to replace one wheel barrel (BBS 3-piece) due to a deep pot hole encounter.

● if you ignore your coolant, you will by buying an expensive radiator and possibly a $2000 heater core job

[B]What might be my guess as to the MINIMUM number of miles I have driven, aggregately, those LS400s. 500,000 miles, easily. On the other hand I suppose someone might mistakenly use/add the wrong coolant, one that is corrosive to the coolant system in our LS400s.

Keep the factory coolant, no opportunity for someone installing the incorrect coolant.[/]

● if you ignore engine coolant temp sensor,

Yes, if you ignore that engine coolant temperature guage, forever FIXED into a 45% position, absent a some sort of failure, sensor itself, or engine related, you might well end up with a CEL. Lexus self-checking diagnostics are pretty extensive, even 'way back in 1990.

distributor caps. rotor,

The current LS, I replaced the distributor caps/rotors in an effort to alleviate what was later to become known to me as the "throttle shock" TSB. Once you get to the point of inspecting the caps/rotors there is no reason not to replace. In my case I'm rather sure that I could cleaned up the factory rotors and caps and they would have been good for another 200,000 miles.

wires, plugs,

With the technological advances of the automotive ignition systems, inclusive of plug gap metallic, of today spark plugs are no longer the "wear" item of yesteryear. ~200,000, yes, replace them. Wires...?? No, again, technologic advances, high voltage wiring insulation in this case. In yesteryear open the hood at night, put the engine under slight torque (TC stall speed works) and watch the light show, corona discard all over, throughout the HV wiring harness.

Same technique, even the early LS400s, no "light show" (remove the HV wiring harness covers to really check).

ECU caps, etc then your LS400 is not getting anywhere near the mileage and power it did when it was new, and failing ECU caps will eventually corrode the main circuit board of your ECU to the point where you will have to replace the entire ECU as well as the caps!

My career in electronics begin in the USAF in 1958. The company that my wife and I founded in 1972 is still in operation today, building processor systems for the real-time process control environment worldwide...TFL "tube" train control, Melbourne city rail, to name just 2.

Yes, there was an episode of faulty electrolytic capacitors shipped from a single manufacturer in the mid-90's time frame. My company happened to be one of the "victoms". There are 2 visual failure, or "pending failure", symptoms for these capacitors, ANY electrolytic capacity, actually. With external (climatic) HEAT AND internal HEAT due to functionality, the capacitor case will begin to bulge/balloon, indicating an impeding failure. If overstressed enough the pressure relief technique(***) will open and you end up with liquid electrolyte covering surrounding components.

Unlike the electrolyte in your lead-acid battery, capacitor electrolytes are not corrosive enough to damage electrical components or PCBs.

*** physically large electrolytic capacitors would in all likelihood EXPLODE with fairly great force were it not for the build-in pressure relief rubber plug built into the case. Smaller electrolytic capacitors will have the metal case "etched" (think pot-top soda/beer cans) to weaken it.

The PRIMARY purpose/use of electrolytic capacitors is to stabilize the supply voltage, act as a "sink" for voltage excursions outside the design "norm".

So a failed, or even a failing, electrolytic capacitor can have, MIGHT have, adverse effects upon the ECU operation..

Failures likely much more prevalent in "Cowboy's" HOT climate and with a dark interior.

● if you ignore your strut bar bushings, you have a possibly unsafe situation in the from suspension as well as an annoying clunk

Yes, under hard/sudden braking efforts there is a definite "CLUNK". Unsafe? I haven found it so...

I have had a set of front bushings on the shelf for many months now, delaying due to the serious level of DIY labor, that. Shock absorber top cushion/mount is also a common source for "clunk", mostly going over speed bumps.

● if you ignore the transmission mount, you will have needless vibration inside the cabin!

In the process of chasing the "throttle shock" problem on my '95 I replaced engine, transmission, diff'l , rear strut mounts/cushions but noted no vibration issue before or after, no notable vibration to begin with... But I did get somewhat reduced "throttle shock" events/effects.

● if you ignore changing the transmission fluid and filter, you likely take 100-150K off of its life expectancy not to mention shift quality, just ask Aisin!

IMMHO you need to have some design flaw (as is obviously the case with the RX series transaxle) or otherwise failure inside the transmission in order to compromise the factory ATF so as to not be good for the life of the vehicle as stated in the owners manual. I admit to being quite surprised, but pleased, at the pristine condition of the '95 LS's ATF at 280,000 miles, given my '01 AWD experience, dark, dirty, burned at 40,000 and then again at 80,000 miles.

"...Aisin..." Yes, I would truly like to ask them about my '01 AWD RX300's transaxle design flaw...

all of these things are cheap, and the smart people will spend a little now to save a lot of heartache and expense later!

in other words, don't be like these guys:

[/IMG]

Last edited by mbonne; 01-25-14 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-25-14, 11:34 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

you might want to educate yourself on the reliability and service history of the LS400 model, after many millions of posts here at Club Lexus, we pretty much know anything and everything that fails on these cars, and in what frequency, you can start with learning about the prematurely failing strut bar bushings as well as the whole issue of failing ECU capacitors - two example issues that are at near epidemic levels.

and I can't even calculate the number of LS400 alternators lost on account of power steering fluid leaking on to them reported on this forum, including MY OWN '96 at 110K miles

so you are making yourself look ridiculous, we know precisely what fails on these cars, because we troubleshoot and repair them, every single day, here on the world's largest Lexus forum, so sit back, and pour yourself a drink, and do a lot of searching, reading and LEARNING!

I would suggest a great place to start is the LS400 FAQ for your generation!

PS - your post has a lot of hilarious whoppers of misinformation! - like this one for example:

Unlike the electrolyte in your lead-acid battery, capacitor electrolytes are not corrosive enough to damage electrical components or PCBs.
would you like to see a whole photo album of LS400 ECU main circuit boards that have become ruined due to corrosive electrolyte leakage?

in fact, there is so much silliness in your statements, I am about convinced this is one of the other Lexus experts here just pranking me!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 01-25-14 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-25-14, 01:07 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

did you try clicking the links I provided?
Old 01-25-14, 10:16 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Toyota/Lexus has recommended service intervals for their cars. Owners can elect to follow them or not. For owners who decide to drive them long term the maintenance is a step towards them running well.

mbonne, since yours has not required the additional service, yours is a fortunate example of how well built the car can be. Others may not be as comfortable exceeding what the manufacturer has outlined. Parts wear out and in such cases, they will need to be replaced. With all this, YMMV and some do very well while others may have issues to handle.
Old 01-26-14, 08:32 PM
Colington
Driver School Candidate

It would seem there is a clear dichotomy in terms of those who believe in what you can get away with, and those that feel like it's better to spend some money to avoid the what if... I probably fall into the latter. LScowboyLS is by my count a very well regarded forum pillar. Bonne: my question to you is why have you has "at least 6 LS's"? Is it perhaps because you choose to pass on routine maintenance in favor of relying on amazing engineering? I a use my 1993 suburban like none other, but it's not my daily driver, the LS is. I commute 81 miles a day and have a 1month old that needs a safe car. I still need to address the suspension and a leak or two. The "make it perfect" stuff can and likely wait.
** thank everyone for the input. I learn more with each post.
Old 01-26-14, 08:42 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

if people want to ignore their power steering leak, or leaking capacitors, or fluid levels, or coolant condition or battery age or whatever, they just get to spend a lot more money later on, and possibly be stranded on the side of the road!

I think the old mechanic on the TV commercial for FRAM filters in the 1970's said it best:
"You can pay me a little now, or a lot later!"
Old 01-29-14, 09:12 PM
Colington
Driver School Candidate

It's official. I've decided to pay to do the timing since it's unknown if or when it's been done. Tell me if this sounds like a good deal?

Timing belt
Water pump
All belts and tensioners
Drain and fill on tranny fluid
Full synthetic 5w30 and filter
Tune up
Wires, dist cap, plugs
Rad hoses top and bottom
Valve cover gaskets and clean up on nasty leaks.
** all genuine Lexus parts at a certified independent shop

$1600 out the door.

Keep in mind I can't do any of this myself, so while it may be an afternoons work for some/most of you, it's paramount to have it done for me.

Last edited by Colington; 01-29-14 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-14-14, 03:07 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i replaced these parts on my recently purchased 1994 LS400 with 199,000 miles on it.......CAM SEALS, CRANK SEALS (took care of major oil leaks), TIMING BELT, WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT, AIR FILTER, PVC VALVE. For the power steering leak i simply PLUGGED the AIR CONTROL VALVE. Replaced the coolant with Toyota Red Coolant and a full synthetic oil change with Bosch Filter.....IT RUNS LIKE A CHAMP!
I used all geniune factory parts also.....except the air filter, pvc valve....

Last edited by OMAHA; 02-14-14 at 05:04 PM.