LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1st Gen Interior Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 01:59 PM
Michael
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gen Interior Lighting

I don't know if interior light brightness has gone down with age or is this the way it has been since the day one. I've had the car since new but I cannot recall if I had this as a problem when the car was new.

I can live with current intensity of the interior lighting but this is one of the things in my wish list to brighten up the light intensity of interior light.

Anyone feel the same way and did something about it in most efficient way? Now with LED lights availability, I am sure there is a quick fix on this.
Old 01-05-14, 02:11 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

I did all of my interior lights with 5000k LEDs and its cheap and easy to do! Did all the map lights, dome, door, and foot lights. Ordered all of the through VLED and my only problem is my front corner on the exterior has a flicker but I just haven't gotten around to checking it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...questions.html

Get all of the bulb information from the FAQ and its really easy to order the ones you need.
Old 01-05-14, 10:16 PM
Michael
Driver

Originally Posted by dc893
I did all of my interior lights with 5000k LEDs and its cheap and easy to do! Did all the map lights, dome, door, and foot lights. Ordered all of the through VLED and my only problem is my front corner on the exterior has a flicker but I just haven't gotten around to checking it.

Get all of the bulb information from the FAQ and its really easy to order the ones you need.
dc893

Please guide me through in little more details. Do I go to the link and look under UCF-1X bulbs -> Interior to identify the bulbs. Then go to http://www.vleds.com/ to order those bulbs?

I've heard LED bulbs are not direct replacement. There has to be some type of conversion that has to be done. Is this true?

To replace all of interior bulbs, how much are we looking at in ball park figure, since you've done it.

Also, I am sure you know, but your front corner light (front parking light) is a halogen bulb. I do not know if that will make any difference in your flicking problem.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 01-05-14, 10:40 PM
Michael
Driver

Originally Posted by dc893

When you say 5000K LEDs, did you mean 5K White LEDs? What is 5K LED means? Sorry, I am a novice at this....
Old 01-06-14, 05:31 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

When i did my interior the cost was around 40 or less. Not sure now but not too much. The only ones that are a pain are the front foot wells. They don't like to stay in the socket so after awhile they fall out. I am guessing someone around here has had better luck than me.

But all the rest look great. You can check out my profile for pics.
Old 01-06-14, 06:55 AM
oldyota
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Click here to find the bulbs in your car.
http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...s/lrgmain.aspx

click here to find the bulbs to buy
http://www.superbrightleds.com/

amazon sellers also have great deals on LED's. thats where i found a great seller.

colors are just like headlight colors. 4500k, 6k, 8k etc

Dont F up your car by yanking on stuff to install.
good luck
Old 01-06-14, 11:10 AM
Michael
Driver

Default LED bulb Quality

It is difficult finding a right LED light for my LS interior.

I have a friend who owns a sign company and the sign lighting has been completely converted to LEDs. At the beginning, he has used China made LEDs. Bulbs may last long time but as time goes on, the intensity drops slowly. He ended up dropping the signs to replace LEDs within a year. Now all he buys is Korean made LEDs and they seem to be working up to his expectation.

Whenever a new technology is introduced, consumers become the alpha tester. For that reason, I have a tendency to wait couple of years before it comes more widely used. I am not sure if LEDs are being used for new car manufacturer....

Price difference between Korean made LEDs and others are almost 10 fold. I am leaning towards to you get what you pay for.

Any experience with LED bulb conversions?
Old 01-06-14, 06:28 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

I am very happy with my interior and I've had it converted over for about a year. It is very easy and all were a direct replacement. I did mean like 5k which is going to be white. The ones I ordered for my foot wells were the most difficult to get in just because it was a tight fit but they do look good.
Old 01-07-14, 11:37 PM
Jordanf
Rookie

Anyone have any issues with the bulbs flickering? I replaced all door lights and foot area with the ones from superbrightleds, and on some days the door LEDs will flicker and sometimes they are fine. I even pushed the socket connections closer together for a tighter fit but didnt really do much
Old 01-08-14, 09:06 PM
aomdedude1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I have this issue, but for me it is the door jamb switches. The switches get sticky over time. The lights only flicker slightly and if you touch the door jamb switch it will work fine again.

I'm going to have to spray them with silicone lube or just replace them because it is highly annoying to not have your lights come on at night as you are trying to get in the car.