LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

new here, whistling noise, HELP

Old 01-02-14, 09:36 PM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here, whistling noise, HELP

okay, so i bought this beautiful lexus, dark forest green, mint, no rust, needs a fender, and I'm hoping thats the way it stays, but it probably won't. okay so the day after i bought the car(12/29/13) i noticed this low, lulling, whistling noise(sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car)sounds like mind you i could be wrong) around low speeds like 20-24mph. the next day, (12/30/13) i hadn't noticed it until around 45-60mph. next time i drove it (1/1/14) i noticed it at both speed ranges, and again around 45-60mph i noticed it sounded like it was going around or in a circle or the sound was circulating or there was a system to the madness. and this afternoon m dad said we should check the tranny fluid, it was low, like low on the bottom bracket, so we filled it up, i went to work i hadn't noticed the whistling noise around 20-24mph but i did notice it around 45-60mph. i got home tonight, i checked the fluid, I'm back down to the bottom bracket again. so i placed some cardboard underneath the car to find where the leak is emulating from. so i guess what I'm asking for here is if anyone can point me in the right direction or even give me an answer and for some forgiveness for i am new, I've searched for a thread pertaining to my dilemma already, and found nothing. so please help me out. thanks in advance, cole.

i hope i gave enough info to conclude an issue.
Old 01-02-14, 10:56 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by croachv2
okay, so i bought this beautiful lexus, dark forest green, mint, no rust, needs a fender, and I'm hoping thats the way it stays, but it probably won't. okay so the day after i bought the car(12/29/13) i noticed this low, lulling, whistling noise(sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car)sounds like mind you i could be wrong) around low speeds like 20-24mph. the next day, (12/30/13) i hadn't noticed it until around 45-60mph. next time i drove it (1/1/14) i noticed it at both speed ranges, and again around 45-60mph i noticed it sounded like it was going around or in a circle or the sound was circulating or there was a system to the madness. and this afternoon m dad said we should check the tranny fluid, it was low, like low on the bottom bracket, so we filled it up, i went to work i hadn't noticed the whistling noise around 20-24mph but i did notice it around 45-60mph. i got home tonight, i checked the fluid, I'm back down to the bottom bracket again. so i placed some cardboard underneath the car to find where the leak is emulating from. so i guess what I'm asking for here is if anyone can point me in the right direction or even give me an answer and for some forgiveness for i am new, I've searched for a thread pertaining to my dilemma already, and found nothing. so please help me out. thanks in advance, cole.

i hope i gave enough info to conclude an issue.
Have you tried seeing if the "whistling" increases/decreases with RPMs?
Old 01-03-14, 01:53 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

are you sure you are always checking the transmission fluid with transmission quite hot from extended driving, on very level ground, while idling in Park?

the correct level is to the top of the HOT area crosshatching
Old 01-03-14, 07:51 AM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

It increases in intensity the faster i accelerate, but i always notice the whistling between 1k-2.5k rpms. Ive been consistent with how i check it, i placed the cardboard underneath last night and i noticed nothing, im curious, i know some cars powersteering rack is included in the transmission unit? But it turns on a dime no effort. Ive looked alittle more into the problem ive heard people suggest bearings or vaccum leaks.
Thanks cole.
Old 01-03-14, 12:39 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

How many miles on car? I suspect that the fluid loss is not related to the noise. This is serious if the fluid is dropping like that. Most usually you'll find fluid streaks where the fluid is escaping.

Whistling is typically some object protruding into the air stream of the car. Check the engine undercover, grill and rear section of the car. As well trim pieces on the body that may be loose. Windshield wiper arms that may be bent or resting into the airflow of the hood cowl.

Check the serpentine idler pulley. Remove the serpentine belt and spin it to check for any bearing noise.
Old 01-03-14, 04:44 PM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

It just turned 154,xxx. I havent noticed any fluid leakage, ill park over the cardboard again and look in the morning. Ill check for loose trim, the trim around the windsheild is alittle bad ill try tinkering with it some.
Old 01-08-14, 08:19 AM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

Okay. So i havent gone anywhere since this past friday, its been really cold. They actually shut down our schools in minnesota cause it was too cold, and i didnt have anywhere to go. This morning i started it, it started like a dream. I was really impressed. Most of my vehicles wouldnt have. After it warmed up to operating temp i backed away and moved over a parking spot to look for leakage or drip on the snow, nowhere, i mean absoulutly nowhere did i see any fluid. I checked the fluid level and it was at the top of the crosshatched HOT section. Its still making that wistling noise around 20-27 now and from 45< so. I think ill try masking off my antenne(cause the antenne whole is open) and the trim along the top of the windshield. My fingers are crossed. Could it at all be the bearings? Or would that be more of a wherrrrr or a grinding noise?
Old 01-08-14, 09:51 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

since you mentioned the fender being bad, do you have a inner fender liner in there? lack of said liner will cause whistling due to turbulent wind under the car and around the wheels.

the antenna hole is a possible culprit but not likely since it's so far away from your ear, and the trunk is actually enclosed behind the rear seats. for process of elimination, cover it with masking tape and test.
Old 01-08-14, 09:22 PM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

ill try masking off in the morning. its too late now for me, its still fairly consistent in where it occurs, it seemed a little louder. tonight, i opened the front and rear windows in town at opposite times the front seemed to be louder or maybe emulating from the front. I've located a fender, and some air rams for the hood. those went bad lol. i checked the tranny fluid, hasn't changed, i did check the oil. that bothered me a bit, its down about a cm or so since i bought it, any feedback on that? that a fairly common thing? i would think with 32 valves for christ sakes.
Old 01-09-14, 11:43 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i wouldn't be concerned with being down a cm. it could be as simple as being parked on a different incline, or you did not wait for all the oil to drip down and settle after turning off the engine.
Old 01-12-14, 05:23 PM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

I wonder if the extremely cold temps had something to do with it. Cause now the past 4-5 days we've finally been above 15degrees. And its completely gone away. Not once do i ever hear it. I have some questions concerning suspension setup. Between now and the end of march, i will have squerriled away enough money some decent coilovers. It there anything else that would aid me in going lower? Ive been trying to search for stuff but the app is too slow and glitchy for me. The top 2 pictures is about how low id like to go. The 3rd one down is where im at now. Idea? And after i get this going ill start a build thread too.
Attached Thumbnails new here, whistling noise, HELP-http-3a-2f-2f25.media.tumblr.com-2ftumblr_mcbnmiglzu1rqn2czo1_1280.jpg   new here, whistling noise, HELP-forumrunner_20140112_192139.png   new here, whistling noise, HELP-forumrunner_20140112_192158.png  
Old 01-12-14, 07:23 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

If you want a nice drop, and soft, factory-like ride, get Megan Racing EZ Street (15 levels of damping/rubber mounts) or Street LP (32 levels of damping/pillowball mounts). If you want to something stiffer, and/or the ability to completely slam, check out BC Racing/Function & Form/D2 Racing/GodSpeed Project.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 01-12-14 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-12-14, 08:16 PM
croachv2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Is there a good place to get stuff like clear front lenses or other "jdm" stuff?
Old 01-12-14, 09:52 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by croachv2
Thanks! Is there a good place to get stuff like clear front lenses or other "jdm" stuff?
For your car, eBay has literally everything you'd need. For anything extra, PM Dranom on the forums. He can hook you up with the mad tyte JDM gear you crave.