LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Recently acquired LS400 ~ some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-14, 07:57 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

all fluids on the car are checked with car off except for transmission fluid, although on some, it will be the same level either way. (for example brake fluid)
Old 03-21-14, 07:29 PM
kevvo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wrong thread?

Hiya Cowboy, was that answer meant for this thread?
Old 07-23-14, 09:21 PM
kevvo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Codes B2798 and P0135

The mechanic plugged his scanner into my '99 LS400 before and the codes B2798 and P0135 came up. There were no warnings in the dash before reading for codes. Since I've had the car I've never disconnected the battery and have never had dash warnings. If the battery was disconnected for a time before I bought the car, would doing that clear errors from the dash? Surely there would have been an alert in the dash about these codes at sometime?

The engine was at operating temperature when the scan was performed.

http://engine-codes.com/b2798_lexus.html

B2798: "This code is stored in the memory when a key that does not have a transponder chip is inserted or if communication between the key and transponder key ECU assembly is impossible".

I have previously used a buttonless key to start the car
The immobilizer is disabled (or doesn't work??). I only have one 3 button remote master and am hesitant to try to activate the immobilizer before getting more remote keys. The 3 button remote I have lock and unlocks the doors and boot.

When I get the extra keys and program them to the car, including the immobilizer, should this error code disappear for good provided that I don't insert a buttonless master key?
On the other hand would there be steps needed to be taken to clear this code permanently, i.e. disconnecting the battery for a little while?

http://engine-codes.com/p0135.html

Possible causes:

- Faulty Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit fuse
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit open shorted to ground
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

Which particular bank is bank 1 sensor one? (It's a right hand drive car).
I don't know the car's fuel economy.
When I start the car and hop out to close the gate behind me there's quite a "fuel smell" from the car. I don't notice the smell when the engine is warm. Is the smell at cold normal?
Where would I find the circuit fuse?

Initially, the mechanic said there were "problems" (?) scanning for the codes, but it came good.
The mechanic tried to clear the code(s) and it (they) came right back. The mechanic in referring to the P0135 error said he was getting "minus" (?) readings. I don't know what that's about and am curious to know.

The car starts very easily, right off the bat; it idles well when it's hot, cold or in between and performs very well throughout the rev range. There's hesitation when I floor the throttle from low revs in economy mode, as if the ECU is having a bit of a think. I haven't tried flooring the throttle in power mode so I don't know how the car will perform. Is that hesitation in economy mode when flooring the throttle par for the course? To me it seems a bit odd if it is.

I'm hoping that someone can offer me further insights or suggestions of things to try regarding the above error codes. I imagine that I could be up for a new sensor but I'd like to check the fuse first.

Thanks in advance.