LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

99 ls400 wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-13, 06:35 PM
Sally97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 ls400 wiring harness

I'm sorry if this has been in a previous thread, but I've never quite gotten an answer to the question. Does anyone know the wiring harness for the 99 LS? I am trying to install my aftermarket stereo, but I cant find the wiring harness to match.
Old 12-26-13, 07:24 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Do you have the Nakamichi radio?
Old 12-26-13, 07:49 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have the "Lexus (Pioneer) Premium Sound" system, the appropriate (and only) wiring harness to use would be the Beatsonic SLA-22AD, but you lose the fader controls. Alternatively, you can just bypass the factory amplifier altogether by wiring the speakers directly to the harness that came with your head unit using this wiring diagram, but you will lose your subwoofer (it is very easy to simply install an aftermarket one). If this is the case, feel free to send me a private message. I installed a JVC Double DIN head unit in place of my standard one, wired the factory speakers directly to the new stereo (I plan on installing new ones down the road), and installed an amplifier to power the new subwoofer.

If you have the Nakamichi system, the wiring would have to be custom. A member on here named Kansas had his Nakamichi head unit replaced with a unit from Kenwood, so I would recommend messaging him about it, if you do have the Nakamichi system.
Old 12-30-13, 11:31 AM
Sally97
Driver School Candidate

I ended up taking it to a good audio shop in town and they're charging me 115 for a complete rewrite and double din stereo install which I thought wasn't bad at all. And I'm 16 so I don't know if you are the youngest on this forum
Old 12-30-13, 03:15 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Sally97
I ended up taking it to a good audio shop in town and they're charging me 115 for a complete rewrite and double din stereo install which I thought wasn't bad at all. And I'm 16 so I don't know if you are the youngest on this forum
we have an age competition!!

not sure how the audio shop plans to get your factory sub working without the $300 Beatsonic box that Sc0pe mentioned! - maybe they have one of those wizardry magic wands like Harry Potter?

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-30-13 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 05:24 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I now can't believe I was starting to believe the crap information that has been posted over and over on this forum that kept saying that an interface harness - Beatsonic or otherwise - was needed or that major rewiring was required in order to install an aftermarket head unit .... and that even then the fader and subwoofer might be lost. I was starting to think there was something mystical about the audio systems in Lexus cars.

There isn't. An interface harness isn't needed whether you have the Pioneer or Nakamich system like I have unless you want a quick and dirty install with marginal results. It's no different than back in the 60's through 80's when I did these types of installs myself.

As I recently posted in the LS400 audio forum my new Kenwood double-DIN head unit works perfectly with the OEM Nakamichi amplifier in my 2000 LS400. The fader on the new Kenwood works fine as does the OEM Nakamichi subwoofer. The install cost $125 and I watched the installer take nearly 3 hours doing it. Not a single wire was cut and the original Nakamichi could be reinstalled in maybe 30 minutes with absolutely no evidence left that an aftermarket head unit had ever been installed.

I don't know if I would call my installer a "wizard" but I could easily tell after interviewing him before he did the work that he was unusually knowledgeable.

Last edited by Kansas; 12-30-13 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-15-14, 12:12 PM
900kLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
If you have the "Lexus (Pioneer) Premium Sound" system, the appropriate (and only) wiring harness to use would be the Beatsonic SLA-22AD, but you lose the fader controls. Alternatively, you can just bypass the factory amplifier altogether by wiring the speakers directly to the harness that came with your head unit using this wiring diagram, but you will lose your subwoofer (it is very easy to simply install an aftermarket one). If this is the case, feel free to send me a private message. I installed a JVC Double DIN head unit in place of my standard one, wired the factory speakers directly to the new stereo (I plan on installing new ones down the road), and installed an amplifier to power the new subwoofer.

If you have the Nakamichi system, the wiring would have to be custom. A member on here named Kansas had his Nakamichi head unit replaced with a unit from Kenwood, so I would recommend messaging him about it, if you do have the Nakamichi system.

So, for my 1996 LS400, if I want to install an Alpine head unit, I can't just find a regular harness adapter like everyone else?

Currently the OEM radio is working, but I wanted to add BT and iPod connectivity, I thought swapping head units, but keeping everything else the same would be easy...

Apparently not????
Old 12-15-14, 08:09 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

yep our cars are not that easy. you will need the beatsonic box if you want a true plug and play. there is a thread recently created that shows how to tap into the factory harness to make everything work (usually the sub is bypassed if you using a typical metra/scosche harness), however this is only for folks with the factory Nakamichi system.

if you don't have "Nakamichi" on the factory headunit, you have the standard Pioneer sound system. both systems have a factory amplifer located under the pass side seat however they have completely different wiring schematics and functions. someone has yet to figure out how to wire a non-nak system w/o using the beatsonic box.