LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rear speakers not working after new head unit install

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 02:34 PM
Jordanf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear speakers not working after new head unit install

I just installed a Clarion CZ-702 head unit with the Metra wiring harness on my 1991 LS400 and only the front tweeters work (front woofers and rears are silent). The unit powers on and seems to be fully functional otherwise. I switched between the 'normal', '2-way' and '3-way' setup options, all of them were still front sound only.

The stock system that I'm trying to replace is the Nak system which had all 4 speakers and sub in working condition before the install.

I pulled out a the entire CD changer system - which appear to be aftermarket way back in the day. This consisted of: CD changer on the trunk roof, with power and signal wires running along driver side of car to a CD control box that was loosely resting on top of the steering column just above the pedals, which led to a handheld controller (to select CD's). The 2 power wires were tapping into the 12v power and accessory (red and orange wires in the stock harness). I cut and insulated the ends of these as they are now dead ends.

Car is completely stock otherwise.

I am planning on installing my new speakers and sub/amp , but wanted to tackle this problem before I get into that.

I checked over my wiring and they are all color matched and in good condition.
I swapped in the factory Nak again and once again only plays through front tweeters.

What could be the problem?
Old 12-23-13, 04:38 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordanf
I just installed a Clarion CZ-702 head unit with the Metra wiring harness on my 1991 LS400 and only the front tweeters work (front woofers and rears are silent). The unit powers on and seems to be fully functional otherwise. I switched between the 'normal', '2-way' and '3-way' setup options, all of them were still front sound only.

The stock system that I'm trying to replace is the Nak system which had all 4 speakers and sub in working condition before the install.

I pulled out a the entire CD changer system - which appear to be aftermarket way back in the day. This consisted of: CD changer on the trunk roof, with power and signal wires running along driver side of car to a CD control box that was loosely resting on top of the steering column just above the pedals, which led to a handheld controller (to select CD's). The 2 power wires were tapping into the 12v power and accessory (red and orange wires in the stock harness). I cut and insulated the ends of these as they are now dead ends.

Car is completely stock otherwise.

I am planning on installing my new speakers and sub/amp , but wanted to tackle this problem before I get into that.

I checked over my wiring and they are all color matched and in good condition.
I swapped in the factory Nak again and once again only plays through front tweeters.

What could be the problem?
I'm not sure whether this is the case for older models, but on the 95-00 LS400s with the Nakamichi Audio system couldn't be upgraded without a full audio system overhaul because of the way the speakers were amped, or something along those lines. Are you sure your harness wasn't for the "Lexus Premium Sound" (Pioneer) system?
Old 12-23-13, 06:08 PM
Jordanf
Rookie

I believe there is only one type of harness for this gen on ebay or amazon regardless of oem radio option. I'll just try installing all of the speakers and new sub+amp and see if that will do the trick
Old 12-23-13, 06:19 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

I believe there is only one type of harness for this gen on ebay or amazon regardless of oem radio option. I'll just try installing all of the speakers and new sub+amp and see if that will do the trick
Yeah, that'll work, no problem. Just make sure you run your RCAs/Power cables separately so you don't get any odd whining issues.
Old 12-24-13, 06:34 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
I'm not sure whether this is the case for older models, but on the 95-00 LS400s with the Nakamichi Audio system couldn't be upgraded without a full audio system overhaul because of the way the speakers were amped, or something along those lines
Not true. My double DIN Kenwood DDX470 works great with the Nakamichi amp and all the original speakers in my 2000 LS400.
Old 12-24-13, 01:52 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kansas
Not true. My double DIN Kenwood DDX470 works great with the Nakamichi amp and all the original speakers in my 2000 LS400.
I probably should have worded that differently, but I was referring to using a "harness" like Beatsonic, or similar. Anything is possible with custom wiring.
Old 12-24-13, 04:28 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
I probably should have worded that differently, but I was referring to using a "harness" like Beatsonic, or similar. Anything is possible with custom wiring.
Really? You said " the 95-00 LS400s with the Nakamichi Audio system couldn't be upgraded without a full audio system overhaul because of the way the speakers were amped, or something along those lines."

Please stop posting inaccurate information on this forum as you have done over and over and over.
Old 12-24-13, 07:31 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kansas
so did I

My upgrade is here
Old 12-25-13, 02:15 PM
Jordanf
Rookie

I removed all of the stock speakers and replaced them with the aftermarket ones and they all work now
Old 12-25-13, 03:30 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

I removed all of the stock speakers and replaced them with the aftermarket ones and they all work now
Good choice How's it sound? I'm thinking about changing mine out soon. Front passenger speaker is starting to sound fuzzy sometimes and one of the rear ones is completely shot.
Old 12-25-13, 08:23 PM
Jordanf
Rookie

Sounds really good nice improvement over the stock ones - I went with 6.5 components and 5.25 coaxial
Old 12-25-13, 08:31 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Nice, think I will just replace mine with the original size ones.