LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Audio ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-13, 07:33 AM
Ef8people
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio ?

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have a 98 ls I want to put in a new cd player. Is there anyway my stock sub will still work? Is there a wire harness I can buy so I dont have to cut and wires, and also how would the car sound like with out the sub. Thank you all
Old 12-01-13, 08:04 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Where did the urban legend about having to cut and splice wires, needing an interface harness or losing the sub woofer start? As I reported in https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8219167-post329.html , a "Geek Squad" installer installed a Kenwood double-din in my 2000 LS400 without cutting and splicing and without using an interface harness. The subwoofer still works fine. The installation is easily reversible. If I can fix my Nakamichi headunit, I could remove the Kenwood and slap the Nakamichi back in myself in about 10 minutes. The "deal" with Geek Squad even includes reinstalling the Nakamichi at no extra cost if I wanted to take the Kenwood to another car.

And do you really mean "cd player"?. My Kenwood has a CD/DVD player but all my music is stored on my phone in a format less compressed than MP3. I have some of my music on a USB flash memory I leave attached to the Kenwood - I routed both the USB cable and the 3.5 aux-in cable to the upper console tray meant for the the dealer installed phone handset. I've yet to use the 3.5 aux-in on the Kenwood since the Kenwood has Bluetooth A2DP streaming.
Old 12-01-13, 01:46 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ef8people
Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have a 98 ls I want to put in a new cd player. Is there anyway my stock sub will still work? Is there a wire harness I can buy so I dont have to cut and wires, and also how would the car sound like with out the sub. Thank you all
Short Answer: Yes, but it's going to be expensive.

Long Answer: There is a harness available that will do everything you want, but it costs nearly ten times as much as your typical run-of-the-mill radio harness. What you can do, however, is follow a wiring diagram and essentially solder RCAs to the signal leads, as well as the amp turn-on lead. This way, your new head unit (CD player, as you put it) would feed audio signal into the amplifier which will then feed the speakers, and subwoofer.

Alternatively, you could simply wire the speakers directly into the head unit and get a small, low power amplifier for the subwoofer, then run an RCA cable from the radio's designated "sub output" connector to the inputs on your new amplifier.

Without the subwoofer, the music would be fairly lacking in the low end, although it is bearable (not for me, of course, since I listen to really bass heavy genres). The stock speakers do put out a decent amount of bass, but not so much on the really low end where the subwoofer plays a crucial role.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 12-01-13 at 01:53 PM.