LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Custom dash setups?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 10:55 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Custom dash setups?

I've been throwing around some ideas for a more functional and elegant dash(not gauge cluster) and I was wondering what others had done?

My plan was to do a custom diamond stitched suede/leather dash pad, stock stereo delete with a new deck where the CD changer normally is and all run through an iPad mounted to a panavise dash kit with an extended swivel mount over a custom blank off plate for the stock deck. Since I run all my music through my phone/iPod already I see no need to keep the stock deck. I also may install my air system gauges and a few other things into the blank off plate as needed.

My idea to use the iPad came down to the fact that I found a wireless reverse camera which streams to the iPad for $150; I can setup a Bluetooth ODB2 reader for real time data; gps through my iPad or even my Garmin is better than most 2din decks and doesn't cost me an extra $1000 like one of the quality 2din decks would; and of course the iPad is much BIGGER than a little 2din deck; not to mention I can remove it and take it with me!

I originally wanted to make more integrated with a motorized mount which extended and flipped up out of the space where the stock deck used to be(like a flip up DVD deck) but figured that was a lot of extra complexity for a car I do not plan on keeping very long as I plan to upgrade to a 05 Ls430 in white/saddle or similar LS460 once I'm done with school.
Old 11-06-13, 01:57 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

refer to this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...up-thread.html

as for actual dashboard setups i like how easy and reversible dash mats are.
Old 11-08-13, 12:05 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I was thinking of a dash pad sort of like that,

I've been through that thread, but I'm not looking to run a double din deck nor a single din deck in the stock location. I cannot be the only person who has thought of this...?
Old 11-08-13, 12:16 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

if you do something along the lines of an ipad you are going to need to hit up a custom shop for them to fabricate something. theres no pre-existing mount for anything like that
Old 11-08-13, 01:06 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For sake of ease, just get an iPad Mini. It'll fit perfectly behind a Double DIN slot (may require a little cutting though). Also, since you've got a '95-97, you can relocate the HVAC controls so it actually sits under the radio (raised radio = better visibility).

Last edited by Sc0pe; 11-08-13 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-08-13, 06:46 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

How is the fitment on the lowered HVAC controls??
I haven't measured it up but there looks to be a noticeable taper to the bottom of the center console and the pics I have seen, seem to show some questionable fitment... I do like the idea of moving it down though, and getting everything else up higher.

I'm not really interested in buying an iPad mini when I have an iPad already. The point of all of this is to NOT buy extra crap and downgrade the screen size. Buying an iPad mini + decent 1din deck(which what I need) = a pretty good 2din deck... Not to mention I have a bigger capacity iPad than you can get from a mini.

As for fabrication, being an engineering student, I'm perfectly capable of designing and manufacturing a motorized, retractable, flip out system to handle an full size iPad. There is 0.75" of extra space (to accommodate the long length of an iPad) on my 96 for such a system, I just don't have time to fiddle with the design and testing on my DD all my other obligations. I also have just about all the parts needed for the iPad mount, it's just a matter of sourcing all the stereo parts... My shopping list is ~$1500-2k for that stuff...

So has nobody done anything crazy with their dash or even seen anything along the lines of what Timmy posted?? Or does it pretty much stop after doubledin decks and passenger coke tables?
Old 11-09-13, 01:14 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shmee
How is the fitment on the lowered HVAC controls??
I haven't measured it up but there looks to be a noticeable taper to the bottom of the center console and the pics I have seen, seem to show some questionable fitment... I do like the idea of moving it down though, and getting everything else up higher.

I'm not really interested in buying an iPad mini when I have an iPad already. The point of all of this is to NOT buy extra crap and downgrade the screen size. Buying an iPad mini + decent 1din deck(which what I need) = a pretty good 2din deck... Not to mention I have a bigger capacity iPad than you can get from a mini.

As for fabrication, being an engineering student, I'm perfectly capable of designing and manufacturing a motorized, retractable, flip out system to handle an full size iPad. There is 0.75" of extra space (to accommodate the long length of an iPad) on my 96 for such a system, I just don't have time to fiddle with the design and testing on my DD all my other obligations. I also have just about all the parts needed for the iPad mount, it's just a matter of sourcing all the stereo parts... My shopping list is ~$1500-2k for that stuff...

So has nobody done anything crazy with their dash or even seen anything along the lines of what Timmy posted?? Or does it pretty much stop after doubledin decks and passenger coke tables?
Well, if you want crazy interior work, look at the D'Custom Freak Celsior. That guy's probably done the most intensive interior modding I've seen as far as the LS400/Celsior crowd goes. Have you seen his current setup (@0:30 in the vid below)?

The following users liked this post:
CyberLS (02-09-24)
Old 11-09-13, 09:30 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I remember that car. Pretty intense, all the work put into it. I'm not looking to alcantara wrap the dash but what he did with the center console is more along the lines of what I was talking about...
Old 11-10-13, 10:18 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I remember that car. Pretty intense, all the work put into it. I'm not looking to alcantara wrap the dash but what he did with the center console is more along the lines of what I was talking about...
I just gave this idea some thought, but have you ever considered an Android tablet? I know it might be going against the budget you've got going for yourself already but Android tablets are VERY accommodating when it comes to mods (i.e. you can control the power settings so it would shut off when your car does). You can also pair it to a Bluetooth OBDII module and have a ball with Torque Pro. The Google Nexus 7 seems to be a pretty cool contender, as demonstrated in the video, from Sonic Electronix, below.

As for the console mods, you probably won't have that much of a hard time with the wood trim piece. At first glance, it seems to be a combination of skill with a Dremel tool and metal bracket work out back, to hold all the components in place. The faceplate bezel will probably be the hardest part, especially if you plan on using the full size iPad.

Old 11-11-13, 04:24 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I'm not interested in getting any android products. I'm deeply entrenched in apple products and see no need to switch when everything you can get for an android, you can get the same or better on an IOS device.

But thanks for the link, I think the Audison Bit One might be a better option then running a deck for me. And that company also did a nice iPad mini integrations which used the Audison device along with a iStreamer...
As far as the rest of the gear, I've figured out my amps and subs and basics:

Sundown Audio SAX 100.4D 4channel amp for my speakers
Sundown Audio SAX 1200D Mono amp for my subs
2x Sundown Audio SA 10-D2 subs
A big deep cycle battery in the trunk
0/1 power wire kit with distro blocks (will also be used to power my air system)
Stinger 6-channel RCA wires

I'm up in the air about the speakers though. I was leaning towards some Alpine Type-R, Polk or JL speakers but I'm so far removed from the audio game I have no idea what's actually good anymore. The last time I was well versed in audio gear was around the turn of the millennium and back then, it was pretty much "Alpine all the way."

I'm open to suggestions on speakers but my plan was 6.5 components up front and 6.5 or 5.25 coax in the rear for fill. Ideally I'd like to stay under $200 and $150, respectively, for the speakers unless there is a brand out there that makes an utterly amazing speaker for a little more ($250/200 max). I've used pretty much only Alpine gear in all of my cars for nearly the last 2 decades, until my last car where I deviated with some Polk speakers. The Sundown stuff seems to be exceptionally highly rated, both on product and customer service, and the cars I have seen locally with it all sound amazing... So why not give it a try!
Old 11-12-13, 12:00 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I'm not interested in getting any android products. I'm deeply entrenched in apple products and see no need to switch when everything you can get for an android, you can get the same or better on an IOS device.

But thanks for the link, I think the Audison Bit One might be a better option then running a deck for me. And that company also did a nice iPad mini integrations which used the Audison device along with a iStreamer...
As far as the rest of the gear, I've figured out my amps and subs and basics:

Sundown Audio SAX 100.4D 4channel amp for my speakers
Sundown Audio SAX 1200D Mono amp for my subs
2x Sundown Audio SA 10-D2 subs
A big deep cycle battery in the trunk
0/1 power wire kit with distro blocks (will also be used to power my air system)
Stinger 6-channel RCA wires

I'm up in the air about the speakers though. I was leaning towards some Alpine Type-R, Polk or JL speakers but I'm so far removed from the audio game I have no idea what's actually good anymore. The last time I was well versed in audio gear was around the turn of the millennium and back then, it was pretty much "Alpine all the way."

I'm open to suggestions on speakers but my plan was 6.5 components up front and 6.5 or 5.25 coax in the rear for fill. Ideally I'd like to stay under $200 and $150, respectively, for the speakers unless there is a brand out there that makes an utterly amazing speaker for a little more ($250/200 max). I've used pretty much only Alpine gear in all of my cars for nearly the last 2 decades, until my last car where I deviated with some Polk speakers. The Sundown stuff seems to be exceptionally highly rated, both on product and customer service, and the cars I have seen locally with it all sound amazing... So why not give it a try!
I'm definitely digging the amp/sub choice. Since you're asking for alternative brands, look into Image Dynamics. They're hailed all over audio forums for their price/performance - in a sense, they're like Sundown Audio, except their gear is more sound quality oriented whereas Sundown leans toward SPL. For example, their IDMAX series subwoofer has been compared to a JL W6 in terms of quality and output. Another reason to check them out is their component and coaxial speakers. On the low end, the CTX-65CS is practically worshiped as a replacement for stock speakers - don't believe me? Look up "CTX-65CS Review" and you'll see reviews coming from the Tacoma forums - it's that popular. Another plus is the versatility of their higher end equipment - you can run the component sets as either separate components (traditional two speakers per channel via crossover), active components (one speaker per channel - requires the use of an active crossover), or coaxial (tweeter on speaker).

The setup I'm going for is:
  • XS Power D2400 (Deep Cell Battery) - Either one under the hood, or one under the hood and another in the trunk.
  • Big Three (Using Knukonceptz Kolossus 0/1 AWG)
  • Clarion NX603/Clarion NZ503 (Head Unit) - The unit I choose mainly depends on how I decide to shoehorn my air pressure display.
  • Knukonceptz Kolossus 0/1 AWG > Knukonceptz KNF-60 (Distribution Block) > Knukonceptz Kolossus 4 AWG > Amplifiers
  • Knukonceptz Krystal RCAs (6M from head unit to trunk and 1M from speaker amp to sub amp)
  • Sundown Audio SAZ-1200D (Subwoofer Amp)
  • Image Dynamics IDMAX10D4 V.4 (Subwoofer)
  • Sundown Audio SAX-125.4 (Speaker Amp)
  • Image Dynamics CXS 64V.2 (Component Configuration)
  • Image Dynamics CXS 64V.2 (Coaxial Configuration)/CTX 65 (Coaxial Speaker)
  • Knukonceptz Kolossus 4 AWG > Knukonceptz Bassik 4-8 (Distribution Block) > Knukonceptz Kolossus 8 AWG > Compressors/Accessories

Also, I noticed you asked early, and I'm sorry I completely glossed over it, but here's a picture of Lexkost's HVAC relocation in progress, before he added the wood trim kit.

And here it is, completed.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 11-12-13 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-12-13, 11:59 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the dash pad looks very cheap IMO.
do it right, pull the dash and wrap it properly.
Old 11-12-13, 01:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

what you can't see clearly is that the bottom of the AC unit sticks out ~1/2" or so from the dash, it's not flush.
Old 11-12-13, 01:46 PM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just noticed that thanks...hmm..not clean.
Old 11-12-13, 04:18 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
what you can't see clearly is that the bottom of the AC unit sticks out ~1/2" or so from the dash, it's not flush.
Thanks for that extra info. So moral of the story here is you will need to get your fabrication on.

Quick Reply: Custom dash setups?