LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Custom dash setups?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 07:14 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, if the fit is that bad, I wont bother. With the Panavise dash mount i will be using, I can get a extendable 3D arm and move the screen to pretty much where ever I want it. I can also unclip it and toss it in the trunk so it's not this big thing hanging out of the dash.

As far as the subs go, the ID stuff is a bit pricer than the SA stuff.
How would a pair of IDQ10 V.4 D2s compare to the SA-10 D2? I am more interested in SQ but still want something that pounds. Anyone have some actual experience with either of these subs?

The ID speakers look pretty good although there is a MASSIVE price hum between the entry level stuff and competition(?) stuff. The CTX65CS look interesting, $170/pair are in my price range but are 4ohm and i'm looking for 2ohm speakers to squeeze a little more juice out of the amps... that and they don't really have an option for the rear other than using the same speakers in the back or a 6.75" coax which might be too big to fit in to the are pods on my 96.
Old 11-12-13, 10:40 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
Yeah, if the fit is that bad, I wont bother. With the Panavise dash mount i will be using, I can get a extendable 3D arm and move the screen to pretty much where ever I want it. I can also unclip it and toss it in the trunk so it's not this big thing hanging out of the dash.

As far as the subs go, the ID stuff is a bit pricer than the SA stuff.
How would a pair of IDQ10 V.4 D2s compare to the SA-10 D2? I am more interested in SQ but still want something that pounds. Anyone have some actual experience with either of these subs?

The ID speakers look pretty good although there is a MASSIVE price hum between the entry level stuff and competition(?) stuff. The CTX65CS look interesting, $170/pair are in my price range but are 4ohm and i'm looking for 2ohm speakers to squeeze a little more juice out of the amps... that and they don't really have an option for the rear other than using the same speakers in the back or a 6.75" coax which might be too big to fit in to the are pods on my 96.
Well, someone on DIYMA seems to have answered your question in regards to the subwoofer(s) The conclusion of the review reads:
"So my final verdict is, toss a coin. Depending on your priorities (box size, tuning preferences, efficiency, cost) either sub would fit the bill of providing quality bass for a SQ setup at a modest price. The IDQ will give you a bit more output with less mechanical noise, but the Sundown has a smoother upper end response and a lower measured distortion."

With the ID speakers, there is a definite jump in price but here is why:
The only difference between their high end components is the midrange, so the difference between the CX62 mids and X-65 mids (taken from this post on CarAudio.com) is:
  • The CXS64v.2 was designed to offer more mid-bass attack at between 80-130hz, and it does it effortlessly. However, with this mid-bass, you will lose some of your upper midrange capability. The CXS has a natural roll off starting at about 1600hz.
  • The XS65 offers a solid midrange that increases as the spider softens and breaks in. This is good if you prefer better upper end and rely on complementary bass from your subwoofer. The XS mid driver also has a beautiful, natural roll off at approximately 1800hz (+/-).

Last edited by Sc0pe; 11-12-13 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-13-13, 02:32 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if that really helps me make a decision on the speakers.

I think I stick with the Sundown subs, I'm not going to be competing in SQ comps and my hearing is already **** from a couple decades of abuse... Might as well save the extra $80-100 on the pair of subs and put it into something else.