LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

94 LS400 aftermarket head unit working with factory amp/sub

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-13, 03:35 PM
Splunky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 LS400 aftermarket head unit working with factory amp/sub

Hi, I have been getting solutions from this site for a long time. Recently got a JVC KW-NT50HDT from a friend and started installing with a lot of help from this site.
I had the regular Pioneer stereo and I always read that you couldn't get the FactoryAmp/Sub to work without the BeatSonic harness. Anyway since the JVC was free didn't want to spend on BeatSonic. Just went with the Metra 70-7116. And the JVC came out of an Ininity G35 so it already had the Metra 70-7551 harness attached.
The Metra 70-7116 hooked us as usual (with blue wire to power amp) and I realised that the rear speaker harness from the Infiniti (70-7551) fit the LS factory sub hookup. So I cut an RCA cable and attached the positive and negative to pins 2 and 6 the locations shown in the image I have uploaded (the bottom output that is labeled subwoofer + and subwoofer -).
The RCA went into the pre amp Sub RCA jack on the JVC.
To make sure it worked I played a "bassey" song with the JVC internal amp turned off. So all the speakers were off but the Sub was going. Sounds pretty good, but I definitely need to refurb the sub.

After looking at pics of the beatsonic harness it appears it takes input from the front speakers and converts to line level. So Im guessing if you don't have a pre amp sub out on your new stereo, you can also use a Line Out converter http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC8...che-LOC80.html. IDK someone who is an audio guru could give the real scoop. But if you have pre amp sub out, it is very simple to get the sub working.

The phone mic was also pretty easy to install behind the steering by just taking off the ignition trim. I've started taking conference calls in my car now

94-LS400 - 280K mi, good for another 20 years now. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails 94 LS400 aftermarket head unit working with factory amp/sub-audio_wiring_pioneer_harnes.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1994 LS400 Pioneer diagram.pdf (49.9 KB, 694 views)
Old 10-22-13, 03:46 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

some people avoid the beatsonic expense and just take that money and invest in a nice separate sub amp!
Old 10-23-13, 12:06 AM
Tuha
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking that when I do mine I will just go for an amp with high level inputs and a new sub. I will then replace the door speakers with Pioneer speakers of similar rating. The head unit will be the issue. I kinda do not like the sound of the cd changer doing it's thing. Beatsonic should bloody well bring their price down. Anyways one loses fader functionality with the Beatsonic. Guess I will do a bit more researhc before I upgrade my sound. Clublexus.com has extensive information on the subject though.
Old 10-23-13, 01:27 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Allow me to give you a basic rundown of just how easy it is to throw a new head unit into a '95-00.
  • Tear apart the dash.
  • Assemble head unit in new dash trim piece.
  • Connect the power/accessory wires from the old harness to the one for your radio.
  • Connect antenna power wire, antenna signal wire and illumination wires to the corresponding wires on your new wiring harness.
  • Ground the radio to the steering brace (should be a little nut there which you can just loosen a tad and wrap the wire around and retighten).
  • Go to your amplifier and disconnect the two plugs furthest to the left.
  • Cut speaker wires (look up the corresponding wires) accordingly (cut about an inch from the plug so you can reattach, if necessary).
  • Crimp/solder the speaker wires from the plug to the new speaker wire (get 16 gauge speaker wire from your local auto shop - 25-30 feet is optimal - and cut it into 4 lengths.
  • Crimp/solder the new speaker wires to the wires on your head unit harness.
  • Reconnect/reassemble the dash.

You now have a head unit with functioning door speakers. Subwoofer is dead unless you can get a low-power amplifier to separately power it, or get a new amplifier/subwoofer altogether.