LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Happy new LS 400 owner

Old 10-16-13, 10:20 PM
ls400luvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy new LS 400 owner

Hello. I am the proud new owner of a 1990 LS400 with 132000 miles on it. It is pretty decent but needs a few things. I have some questions for the knowledgable here. Hopefully you can help me.

1) I have some lights out on the fan controls. How hard to fix?. Does it involve ripping the whole dash out?

2) the speedo arm light is faded. Is there a fix or a thread that shows how to fix?

3) With this kind of mileage should I replace the cam belt?. The car runs strong and idles well.

4) looking at putting on 245/45R/18 wheels and rubber. Will they fit under car with stock suspension or do I need a certain offset. I have included picks of the wheels I am considering. Pls comment good or bad.

Thanks allot.
Attached Thumbnails Happy new LS 400 owner-20131014_155555-1-.jpg   Happy new LS 400 owner-sport-max-wheel.jpg   Happy new LS 400 owner-panther-wheels.jpg  
Old 10-16-13, 11:04 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus and congrats on this nice looking first gen. Additional discussion in the FAQ and the 95 also shares relevant info for your first gen:.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...questions.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...questions.html
Old 10-16-13, 11:11 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Directional rims

The rims on the early LS are directional.Your rims are on''backwards''Left and right are indicated on each rim in the lug nut hole well.Hope you decide to keep the factory rims on the car.
Old 10-16-13, 11:47 PM
Jordanf
Rookie

Looks good in white
Old 10-17-13, 04:43 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

1) I have some lights out on the fan controls. How hard to fix?. Does it involve ripping the whole dash out?
about $40 on ebay and no ripping out of dash, about the equivalent of installing a new car stereo head unit - the problem is, this involves some very meticulous soldering of about 100 pins once you get it out, so you need to find someone who is good at that kind of thing if you aren't - that guy on Wheeler Dealers, Ed, did it on an episode of the show

2) the speedo arm light is faded. Is there a fix or a thread that shows how to fix?
yes, search on here

3) With this kind of mileage should I replace the cam belt?. The car runs strong and idles well.
unless you have records of when it was previously done, then it is way overdue (every 90K) and you should do it now! - here is the best deal I have found on the set of the real Toyota parts (which is the only ones you want to use) it contains the real Toyota parts including AISIN Water Pump, KOYO Idler Bearing, NSK Tensioner Bearing, NTN Hydraulic Tensioner, Mitsuboshi Timing Belt
Old 10-17-13, 06:47 AM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Looks pretty sharp for 23 years old. How much did you get it for?
Old 10-17-13, 06:48 AM
ls400luvr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
The rims on the early LS are directional.Your rims are on''backwards''Left and right are indicated on each rim in the lug nut hole well.Hope you decide to keep the factory rims on the car.
I would keep the original rims if they were all chrome. seems that the back 2 are not chrome?? Regardless I would like a bigger wheel to help fill in the wheelwell just to bring the car up to date a little.
Interesting they are directional though. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-17-13, 06:53 AM
ls400luvr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
about $40 on ebay and no ripping out of dash, about the equivalent of installing a new car stereo head unit - the problem is, this involves some very meticulous soldering of about 100 pins once you get it out, so you need to find someone who is good at that kind of thing if you aren't - that guy on Wheeler Dealers, Ed, did it on an episode of the show

yes, search on here

unless you have records of when it was previously done, then it is way overdue (every 90K) and you should do it now! - here is the best deal I have found on the set of the real Toyota parts (which is the only ones you want to use) it contains the real Toyota parts including AISIN Water Pump, KOYO Idler Bearing, NSK Tensioner Bearing, NTN Hydraulic Tensioner, Mitsuboshi Timing Belt
Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly the only records are the service when it wan still new. I kinda doult the timing belt has been changed. I guess I better get it done. Any idea how long it takes? Thanks for the parts link. That is a reasonable price for toyota parts.
Old 10-17-13, 07:05 AM
ls400luvr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EmpPenguin
Looks pretty sharp for 23 years old. How much did you get it for?
Thanks for the compliment. I paid $2500. I may have paid too much? figured that was market price for the condition??
like I say it needs a few small things. The power antenna does not go up/down. Pwr steering leak etc.
Old 10-17-13, 11:11 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ls400luvr
Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly the only records are the service when it wan still new. I kinda doult the timing belt has been changed. I guess I better get it done. Any idea how long it takes? Thanks for the parts link. That is a reasonable price for toyota parts.
Do a Search under the engine bay, and I mean SEARCH for a little white rectagular sticker that says when it was done last. Chances are good it was probably done around 90-100K and shops usually will put a sticker of some sort the documents that. Usually its on top of the engine, or the near the radiator.
Old 10-17-13, 11:28 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

you can also take it apart partially and inspect the belt, a timing belt done 35K mile ago will look brand new!

It is not a difficult job, but it requires the right tools, patience, and attention to detail, and not being in a rush just because you need the car for something important and that causes you time pressure!

much easier than doing the starter, but on the other hand, this is not a good first-time auto mechanics project, you need to have done some alternators and a few other jobs before attempting this.

here is a guy doing the same exact job on essentially the identical engine, he is working on an LS430, but the job is identical - his first timing belt, he did a good job other than not using a torque wrench on reassembly

so if you have the right tools and plenty of time and patience, you can save yourself $1000 over having it done, watch the entire video to see what you are in for!

Old 10-17-13, 11:30 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ls400luvr
Changing the timing belt on your 90 LS400 is just preventive maintenance. Meaning, if the belt snaps, or jumps, it will only leave you stranded. It wont screw up your engine. 90-94 are NON-interference engines. I've heard of some belts lasting over 200k. But, ya never know. If money and time is not an issue and you do decide to change it check out the tutorial here; http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html It takes about 6-8 hours to change, first time might take a bit longer.
That site also shows alot of other common repairs.
Those directional rims you have are made to cool the brakes.
Old 10-17-13, 12:06 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

[QUOTE=Those directional rims you have are made to cool the brakes.[/QUOTE]

AND lets face it, your brakes need all the help they can get... under powered from the get-go.
bigger and better brakes are available.. just do a search..
Old 10-17-13, 12:47 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first wheels look like they belong on a Honda, just saying. The second set, I like. Are those the "BOSS" wheels? I'm pretty sure you wont have an issue fitting 245/45/18's under with the stock suspension. You might run into an issue if you decide to drop it though.

Oh, and welcome!
Old 10-17-13, 02:04 PM
ls400luvr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
Do a Search under the engine bay, and I mean SEARCH for a little white rectagular sticker that says when it was done last. Chances are good it was probably done around 90-100K and shops usually will put a sticker of some sort the documents that. Usually its on top of the engine, or the near the radiator.
Thanks for all the feed back guys and thank Yoshiman, never thought to look for a replacement sticker. I looked and it was done at around 68,500 miles or so, can't really make out the 5 but say 69000. That should mean I will be good for another 30-40K . I do see some oil down there though so I may just strip things back to see where the leak is. I suspect a power steering leak from what I have been reading.

The links to the belt replacement are very informative. Thank you for posting. So far I really like this car. I can see why there is such a cult following

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Happy new LS 400 owner