LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

94 ls400 running issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 06:14 AM
LANcr3w
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found my problem, other than finding out that my ECU has the wrong capacitors.
I removed the passenger side cam position sensor to ohm it out and it says its open.
This was the one that had the wire pinched on it so is probable that the wires dont
have a good connection. The other cam sensor ohm'd out in the correct area of
ohms.

Now all i should need is a new cam sensor and my car should be back to running good,
at least til the capactiors in my rebuilt ECU go out or cause problems again.
Old 10-28-13, 06:35 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

have you determined whether the cam position sensor itself is bad?

are you saying the bad wiring has ruined the sensor? - have you run new wiring yet?
Old 10-28-13, 08:01 AM
LANcr3w
Rookie

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
have you determined whether the cam position sensor itself is bad?

are you saying the bad wiring has ruined the sensor? - have you run new wiring yet?

I mean thats what ive determined. Starting from the beginning, i code read the ECU and only
code that came up was a 13. This means its jumped a tooth in timing on one side
or cam or crankshaft sensor is out. I remembered the wire that got pinched was a cam
sensor wire. This had to be the problem. Ohm'ing it out from the plug in it shows
OL or open but that sensor still has its magnetic properties. Its most likely the wiring
because of that and the wires on there showed corrosion. On the otherhand the other
sensor ohm'd out correctly and didnt have a code for it.

I could fix the wiring but ill probably just get one from the local Picknpull.
Once i get that back together i can officially see if the ECU is causing any of the issues
cuz everything else works.
Old 10-28-13, 09:47 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

that sounds great, but I can assure you that having the wrong capacitors in the ECU is going to cause all kinds of future problems, so that need to be fixed by the original goofball that screwed it up or else someone competent and soon! - this time YOU supply the correct capacitors!

at the local pick & pull, keep in mind that other Toyota's use many of the same connectors as your Lexus, which should make it much easier to find a nice one! - you need to cut that connector off and bring it with to compare - as long as the connect is identical mechanically and electrically, it will work fine, don't worry about the wire colors being different if it comes off of a 4runner or something!
Old 10-28-13, 06:43 PM
LANcr3w
Rookie

Thumbs up

Okay so today I found a used Cam Position Sensor to replace my old bad one.
After all replaced and fixed and I started it up. NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT it actually
went away. Good news as well this does show my ECU DOES WORK. As far as this
issue of it being the right or wrong capacitors is beyond my knowledge.

HOWEVER, the guy who did fix my ECU has offered GREAT service more than just
fixing my ECU. He has helped me fix some issues other than the ECU through text.
Like I said my ECU DOES work and I don't have any issues with it yet.
I have decided to keep my ECU the way it is for as long as it works to test this theory.
I also have LIFETIME warranty though this guy as well, if it does go bad it will be fixed.

Now as I may not know much about these ECU's but personally I wouldn't take my
expensive laptop apart ( for example ) to do something that involves soldering
on the board. Doesn't sound like something just anyone should do. Im pretty sure
there are specific tools and things your only supposed to use. If you think you
can do it more power to you.

Like I said before my ECU does work and there are no current problems.
Old 10-28-13, 07:00 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Glad we were able to zero-in and find the problem!

However, on the ECU, I don't care how nice or helpful he is, he has used incorrect parts and at least owes it to you to re-do the job correctly using the correct low-ESR, high ripple rejection, long life premium Japanese capacitors, even if you have to buy them yourself and send them to him, which would be the best way to ensure that you end up with the right ones.

He really has no business doing this repair in the first place if he doesn't know what he is doing. You're lucky the car is is running right at all with the incorrect caps, and you are likely not getting the factory amount of horsepower and torque due to incorrect small decisions being made by the ECU due to the ripples.

I personally don't have a lot of tolerance for "ECU rebuilders" who have insufficient background in electrical engineering to be repairing these costly and complex ECU's - what about unsuspecting poor single moms? - they might well end up with a car that runs worse than it did in the first place, and after spending what is a lot of money to them!

Last edited by PureDrifter; 10-28-13 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-28-13, 11:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
Glad we were able to zero-in and find the problem!

However, on the ECU, I don't care how nice or helpful he is, he has used incorrect parts and at least owes it to you to re-do the job correctly using the correct low-ESR, high ripple rejection, long life premium Japanese capacitors, even if you have to buy them yourself and send them to him, which would be the best way to ensure that you end up with the right ones.

He really has no business doing this repair in the first place if he doesn't know what he is doing. You're lucky the car is is running right at all with the incorrect caps, and you are likely not getting the factory amount of horsepower and torque due to incorrect small decisions being made by the ECU due to the ripples.

I personally don't have a lot of tolerance for "ECU rebuilders" who have insufficient background in electrical engineering to be repairing these costly and complex ECU's - what about unsuspecting poor single moms? - they might well end up with a car that runs worse than it did in the first place, and after spending what is a lot of money to them!
I'm going to take this moment to remind you that there are other valid solutions which differ from the ones you present, and simply because you believe only in yours does not invalidate a whole other way of thinking. I want to see less standoffishness from you regarding this issue in the future.

I've removed the disparaging southerner reference, don't replace it.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 10-28-13 at 11:10 PM.