LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 Rear Deck Subwoofer Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 10:10 AM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lev00221
LEXUSA400..............I hope that you plan to do some very serious reinforcement of your rear deck when you mount a 15 inch subwoofer. Otherwise you will have a rattling mess. That rear deck is very flimsy. Vibration is your enemy when mounting a subwoofer. Good luck!
Oh yes, this is a primary concern. I won't be cutting any of the supports, basically just the sheet metal between the two supports. Then I will be bolting or welding in a hefty new baffle plate for the new woofer, probably 1/4" steel, maybe even 3/8". I'll try to run a support brace under the deck to cradle the woofer and support the motor, might try to run a vertical support rod or tube from the floor of the trunk up to this brace.
Old 01-22-14, 12:36 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been talking with a guy over on DIYMA about this... Are you metric muscle? http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...xus-ls400.html
Old 01-23-14, 08:37 AM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shmee
I have been talking with a guy over on DIYMA about this... Are you metric muscle? http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...xus-ls400.html
Yep.

I got the center section cut out yesterday, didn't catch anything on fire either.

I really need to charge my camera and get some pics.
Old 01-23-14, 03:29 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol, you're basically running my hypothetical setup speaker-wise. Definitely take some pictures of resizing the speaker housings, because I'm going to be copying you
Old 01-23-14, 04:40 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, well I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I'm leaning towards IB but that means I probably won't be using SA subs and will have to use a different amp...

I do like the space savings of going to an IB setup, but I'm now not I sure if one 12" sub would be enough....
Old 01-24-14, 05:15 PM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

Here is the rear deck with the center section cut out. None of that area was flat so may as well remove it all and re-install a flat piece of steel or wood that will make it useable.

Leaves you with lotsa room.

I went ahead and installed another 15" woofer I had from a defunct project to check for fitment and clearance. I will have to cut the trunk liner but I knew this. Sounds OK on the OE amplifier.

Last edited by LEXUSA400; 01-27-14 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-24-14, 05:54 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

So how much room is there to fit multiple subs?

Any chance you could cut out some 10" 12" and 15" discs to show how much room there is?
Old 01-24-14, 09:53 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm curious as to what you used to cut that all out haha. Jigsaw? Sawzall? But you're more than welcome to jack this thread in the name of custom sub mounting. I'm definitely down!
Old 01-25-14, 12:54 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

This thread is titles rear deck sub mounting, I don't really think he's hijacking this thread...

I emailed the guys at AE to see what they suggest for powering one of their subs. I checked the site but since each sub is hand built, I want to make sure that the 500W @ 4ohm is the best amount of power... Also asked about the Apollo upgrade and if it increases power handling and/or any audible characteristics of the sub.

I think I'm going to cut out the deck like you did, weld up a frame out of angle iron that I can bolt a mdf panel to from the underside but top loaded with the sub. Then weld the frame back into the deck with some extra bracing and tabs to mount my amps and a nice open display enclosure just to showcase everything while protecting it from impacts.

Should give me more than enough room to mount my 2x 5-gallon air tanks below and Air Zenith compressors on either side of the tanks, without taking up much space at all!

Edit -- this is the build that gave me the idea for how to mount the sub in the deck:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-pics-way.html

Last edited by Shmee; 01-25-14 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-27-14, 07:19 AM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

I meant to post this before. I removed the center seatbelt reel and will have to relocate it if it is to be used again. I don't think it would have to be removed if going with just a 12" although it might have to be mounted off center slightly. This isn't an issue and the grill can still be made to mount centered.

So how much room is there to fit multiple subs?

Any chance you could cut out some 10" 12" and 15" discs to show how much room there is?
I've got a 12.5" and 15.5" cardboard cutout I can place on the deck in different locations, this is the OD of the Acoustic Elegance IB12 and IB15.

The raised area on either side of the cutout is the welded reinforced brace area I wanted to avoid cutting. Cutting them out would not really give me any more room to mount anything so better idea to leave them there. I tried to leave any of the doubled up and spot welded areas on the rear deck alone until I know what to do with them. If the section I cut out had been flat enough to do something with, I would not have cut it all out.

There is room on the deck outside of the braces for a 10" or 12" cutout.

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
I'm curious as to what you used to cut that all out haha. Jigsaw? Sawzall?
3" cutoff wheel on electric die grinder. A jigsaw would get most of it except for the back and parts of the front.

I'm not sure how I found this thread to begin with. Searching "IB" is too small of a word, not everybody know what Infinite Baffle is, more accustomed to Free Air or Rear Deck. I might should start a separate build thread and use words like Infinite Baffle to assist in searching.
Old 01-27-14, 07:31 AM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

This gives you a little bit of an idea.

Temp ghetto install. The OSB shows you how much I cut out and the woofer shows you roughly how much of that cutout is used up.

Last edited by LEXUSA400; 01-27-14 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-27-14, 07:39 AM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

Maybe if I angle it just right I can get one or two of these on there.

Last edited by LEXUSA400; 01-27-14 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-27-14, 08:03 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's defiantly possible to run two subs. I have two 10's in mine, but I'm going to go back to a single. My box is too small for the two subs, so I'll keep the box the same size but run a single 10in. I'm curious as to how you guys are going to run such large subs and have a proper sized box for the sub? We all know where the gas tank is, and it doesn't leave as much room.
Old 01-27-14, 08:17 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a couple pictures of my current setup, but I'm about to pull it out and revise a few things.
Old 01-27-14, 09:12 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

No box at all Mike.
We are talking about running subs designed to use the entire trunk as the enclosure.

Quick Reply: LS400 Rear Deck Subwoofer Mounting