LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

replacement headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 04:32 PM
billymild
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement headlights

I have looked at a few websites for new headlight housings. Mine are pretty hazy, I know I could polish them but part of me would rather replace them if feasible. I have HID lights. Looks like new housings would be about $1000 for both sides. Are they really that much?
Old 10-09-13, 05:10 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by billymild
I have looked at a few websites for new headlight housings. Mine are pretty hazy, I know I could polish them but part of me would rather replace them if feasible. I have HID lights. Looks like new housings would be about $1000 for both sides. Are they really that much?
I usually see new housings ( without the bulbs ) for about $350 at various online sites.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...driveLine=8081
Old 10-09-13, 05:56 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

what is the year of your car? OEM lenses are usually always that costly, so it is usually more feasible to just polish the lenses unless money ain't no thang!
Old 10-09-13, 10:19 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

It should have been ILLEGAL for the manufacturers to switch to plastic headlamps. The one place you REALLY shouldn't cheap out on is the freaking headlamps, which are one of the most crucial safety systems on your car... but anyway...Ahem..

How far gone are yours? I have one of those Meguires (sp?) kits that comes with the bottle of Plast-x, and the buffer thing you attatch to a power drill, and it actually works very well on some hazy headlights, yet doesn't do **** to some others. Since its the one step thing, its not abrasive like sandpaper is and won't cause irreversable damage so its not a biggie if it doesn't really work.

I've got the same issue with my 04' GX470, because the previous owner was suckered into buying that HORRENDOUS clear bra crap. So it's 9 years old now, hazy and weathered like hell, and its even on the headlights which are probably totally ruined because of it.
Old 10-09-13, 10:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

plastic is safer than glass....
Old 10-09-13, 10:43 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Give Washington enough time, They will take away our glass windows too!

And yes, Plastic technically is safer in a collision, but it will be the last thing on your mind when you plow into a bigfoot in the woods because you couldn't see it through your hazy plastic headlights. Not only will your LS be screwed up, but you will have a very pissed off Yeti named Harry in your passenger seat, especially when he see's the leather seats!
Old 10-09-13, 11:18 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
plastic is FAR more dangerous than glass, and for exactly the reasons being discussed here, it gets hazy and then you do not see well at night. There is little substantive difference in collision safety.

and the reason manufacturers switched to plastic over glass had nothing to do with collision safety in the first place, but rather, it was due to:

1. lighter weight = better fuel mileage
2. can more easily mold plastic into more aerodynamic and stylish designs than you can glass
3. cost

personally - I want glass back!

does anyone know which Lexus's had glass headlights vs. plastic?

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 10-09-13 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-09-13, 11:52 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, rather than replacing the actual housings, you could buy some DEPO non-HID headlights off of eBay and replace the lenses.
Old 10-10-13, 05:40 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Last Monday I used a $21 Sylvania kit from Autozone to restore my 2000 LS400 cruddy looking headlights and foglights to looking and performing like new. The Sylvania kit was rated #1 by Consumer Reports Magazine so it was hard to find due to the high demand.
Old 10-10-13, 08:38 AM
billymild
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
Well, rather than replacing the actual housings, you could buy some DEPO non-HID headlights off of eBay and replace the lenses.
Does this require an oven? How much do those lights normally run?
Old 10-10-13, 10:06 AM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, Just to jump in with a Question; Is a retrofit feasible for the 1LS? Know of average costs for doing such a thing?
Old 10-10-13, 10:42 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Twista4004
Hey guys, Just to jump in with a Question; Is a retrofit feasible for the 1LS? Know of average costs for doing such a thing?
Please search for the past threads about the aftermarket Eagle Eyes headlight units for the 90-94 LS400.
Old 10-10-13, 11:49 AM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kansas
please search for the past threads about the aftermarket eagle eyes headlight units for the 90-94 ls400.
my bad..........gosh
Old 10-10-13, 11:51 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Forming glass to the modern shapes isn't unreasonable. Obviously cost in production favors plastics where a glass lens costs more in materials and the machinery in forming technology. Those plastic machines aren't cheap by any means either.

Going off those ancient sealed beam rectangular and square units of the 60's-late 80's made it easy. A busted light was easy on the wallet and easy to find. The move to these $400+ units was

Anyway, rambling off: 90-97 LS400's had glass lenses. I'm curious what other Lexus models had glass lenses now. There are plastic aftermarket replacement housings for the 90-97 years.
Old 10-11-13, 03:54 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

It's hard to believe that the plastic headlight lenses on my 2000 LS400 were once so fogged and cruddy that it was almost impossible to see the reflector inside the housing or for light to pass through. It was like driving in the dark.

Here is how the driver side headlight looked yesterday - would look better if the car was clean. Refinishing the plastic headlight and foglight lenses with that $21 Sylvania kit made them look and perform essentially like new.

I've tried several brands of headlight refinishing kits over the years and the Sylvania kit is the most professionally packaged, easiest to use and has the best instructions. According to Consumer Reports magazine, the results of the Sylvania kit last the longest of all the kits they tested and longer than the second rated 3M kit which is more difficult to use and which can easily damage surrounding bodywork.

Words of caution from my experience: these kits work best when used in a dust free environment and in relatively cool (less than 80 degrees) temperatures. Drying time of the final chemical sealer code varies. The instructions say that the final coat dries to the touch in 1/2 hour but it took at least three hours with my car sitting in a closed garage. I would not recommend using these kits when a car is parked outside. The longer you allow the final sealer coat to "cure", the better the results. I recommend not driving a car for at least 24 hours after using the Sylvania kit.
Attached Thumbnails replacement headlights-2000-ls400-left-headlight-after-sylvania-kit-use.jpg  

Quick Reply: replacement headlights