LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Re routing Drivers side harness in Fender

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 04:14 PM
maxk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re routing Drivers side harness in Fender

Does anyone have any pictures or further direction as to where the harness runs and plugs into once it goes inside of the car through the firewall in the drivers side wheel well? I have done a ton of searching and cannot find any direction to this. The best write up is an SC write up, but just says unplug the harness from the inside and run it through the bay. Everything is pictured very well except the plug part Hopefully I can get some further insight on this!

I appreciate your help guys, thanks!
Old 10-09-13, 04:17 PM
Gonads
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know too.
Old 10-09-13, 10:34 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

on at least the '98-00 you have to disassemble the fusebox and unplug the washer motor, turn signal, and bumper light (orange on above the fog). then pull the whole thing out, and reroute through an existing hole that it just BARELY fits through.

This way you only have to extend the washer and light wires (6 wires total) but have to sacrifice the driver's side lift support as the harness goes there.

If you're up to extending the main harness ~6-8" you can route it inside the shock tower, a little cleaner.
Old 10-10-13, 06:00 PM
Gonads
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about for '95-97?
Old 10-10-13, 10:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

can't confirm but i'm reasonably confident the fusebox plugs in the same way.
Old 10-11-13, 09:19 AM
maxk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up just winging it and everything went better than expected. I had my buddy that is much more electrical savvy than I am and ended up helping me extend a couple of wires which I believe to be the corner light or something.

After taking almost everything apart under the steering wheel and still not being able to figure out where the hell the harness ran to and plugged in inside of the car, we resorted to looking for other ways.

We actually did it backwards from what I have read other people doing. We opened the hood and pulled the fuse box up and unplugged everything from there. Once everything was unplugged we took the harness through the wheel well and ran it back up into the engine bay through the hole closest to the firewall. This was a very tight fit getting all of the plugs through that hole, but we ended up being able to fit everything through and get it ran back to the fuse box. Once inside the bay we got the plugs all ran and connected to their orignal places. I had to cut the loom off of the wire and flatten/electrical tape the wires that sat on top of the strut tower so that it would give the hood room to lay or else it wouldn't close. We also took the Driver's side hood strut off to give the harness clearance.

I did have to shave my fuse box cover a little for it to go back on due to the fact that the harness now ran upwards and not down through it's original hole. All in all this job took us around 2 hours, but I assume that you could cut some time down on it by not wasting it on taking the interior apart trying to find a way from there first.

Hopefully this helps!!