LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is anyone actually running a REAR RCA kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 05:27 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is anyone actually running a REAR RCA kit?

So i made the mistake of not getting the Ultra-low BC's and as such i've been looking for a way to get another inch or so of drop out the rear without having to order new rear coilovers. From what i understand they are more of a shock drop spacer than an RCA but then again, i've never found any trace of someone running them.

I've been looking around and I have found a few options for REAR RCA kits but damned if i can find any talk about anyone using one of these kits or pictures of them installed.

the YouZealand kit:

http://kyoei-usa.com/proddetail.asp?...tucf20&cat=208

7th Level kit:

http://www.autofashionstore.com/gsrearrcasskit.html

Anyone running such a kit?

Cheers
Old 10-14-13, 05:50 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

yep, same principle as the front RCA which gives more shock travel by lowering it's mounting point, also effectively lowering the rear.

i only see tein coilovers, or other coilovers that do NOT have separate height adjustability benefiting from rear RCAs. other than that, your BC, megan, D2, function form all have separate height adjustment capability. you only benefit from a change in roll center, not additional drop.

my friend genetic is running youzealand SS kit out back on his tein CS coilovers, with UAS bags.
Old 10-14-13, 07:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
yep, same principle as the front RCA which gives more shock travel by lowering it's mounting point, also effectively lowering the rear.

i only see tein coilovers, or other coilovers that do NOT have separate height adjustability benefiting from rear RCAs. other than that, your BC, megan, D2, function form all have separate height adjustment capability. you only benefit from a change in roll center, not additional drop.

my friend genetic is running youzealand SS kit out back on his tein CS coilovers, with UAS bags.
actually the rear "rca" kit isn't one, it's a dropped shock mount. because the suspension joints aren't changed the roll center isn't changing at all. Nobody (read: NOBODY) makes an actual rear roll center adapter for a UCF1/2x chassis.

That being said, the dropped shock mounts are pretty straightforward in theory, you give up X cm of clearance by getting a dropped mount which gives you x cm drop. Roll center change is the same as if you had a shorter coil.

Youzealand does offer a similar setp for the front (low-pro shock mount instead of an RCA setup) but it's only ever used by factory air cars trying to get super low with a controller. (the left 2 items in the youzealand pic you posted.)

Show those shock mount parts to any competent off-road fab shop, they're likely to be able to whip you up one in a jiffy.
Old 10-15-13, 01:12 AM
silos5
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only it drops the car, REAR RCA also gives you more space to run wider wheels without modifying the fenders. It relocates the position of the lower shock mount. Otherwise, the shock hits the upper control arm if your car is slammed.
I would suggest to use REAR RCA for everyone running low or on airbags.
Old 10-15-13, 01:17 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

My issue is does anyone have a set in the car and can comment on it?
Pics of of the rear kit *PARTS* installed?
The pics I keep seeing on sites look to be the same as the 2GS rear RCA kits... And I'm not sure if I'm looking at some stock photo or if I'm looking at the actual LS parts or not.

Also, those that actually have them, can you comment on any issues you ran into with the install or day to day use?
Old 10-15-13, 01:38 PM
silos5
Driver

Originally Posted by Shmee
My issue is does anyone have a set in the car and can comment on it?
Pics of of the rear kit *PARTS* installed?
The pics I keep seeing on sites look to be the same as the 2GS rear RCA kits... And I'm not sure if I'm looking at some stock photo or if I'm looking at the actual LS parts or not.

Also, those that actually have them, can you comment on any issues you ran into with the install or day to day use?
these are the actual pictures of the rear RCA (i believe these are NAGISA)
I have RCA in my car, but they are not Nagisa or SS KIT, but they are custom made. I dont find the price too good for me, so I asked my friend to make some on CNC machine. Works fine for me.
GS or LS430 are totally differend RCA from LS400 !!!

Old 10-15-13, 02:30 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting.... I was thinking about making them myself as I have access to a CNC and can design stuff on Solidworks.

What sort of clearance do you have with the bottom of the shock and the boot?
Old 10-15-13, 04:59 PM
timmy0tool

awesome thanks for posting pics. never understood how they mounted up until now!
Old 10-15-13, 05:40 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

definitely looks like it would give maybe 5-10mm of clearance on the inside for extra big wheels/crazy camber
Old 10-15-13, 07:00 PM
timmy0tool

as silos mentioned, it would also give more clearance to the upper arm. being too low makes the arm strike the shock body

Last edited by PureDrifter; 10-15-13 at 07:27 PM. Reason: can't allow non-vendor sales.
Old 10-15-13, 07:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

guys no discussion of anyone offering up any items for sale please, otherwise i'll have to close this thread.

I'm actually not a huge fan of the rear brackets. I just don't like the design. If you notice, from factory all the vertical load is distributed down through the entire spindle, whereas on the relocated mount it's held in place by a few pieces of steel/aluminum cantilevered over the driveshaft.

will it work for a stanced out car that needs the clearance? sure.

Ideal? Far from it.
Old 10-15-13, 07:46 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, I didn't say anything about selling them... Not about to sell custom untested structural parts to people in a country where one of the national past times is blaming others and suing! haha.

Seriously though, there's a lot of design beyond simply making a model in Solidworks...
Old 10-15-13, 08:34 PM
genetic
Lead Lap

I have the youzealand SS kit on my car. Pretty much everything has been said by Pavel and I couldn't agree with him more.

Last edited by genetic; 10-15-13 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 08:37 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

What do the YouZealand parts look like?
Old 10-15-13, 08:50 PM
genetic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shmee
What do the YouZealand parts look like?
Like the pictures posted so far. The purple one in post one is for a GS

Quick Reply: Is anyone actually running a REAR RCA kit?