LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Audio system info requested

Old 09-27-13, 07:09 AM
billymild
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio system info requested

I am starting to realize the stereo system in the LS400 might be one of the most complicated I have ever encountered(stock system that is). Is there a website with detailed information on the setup? Meaning what cars came with a sub, speaker size, factory amps.

My car has almost 0 low end bass. I was told by the previous owner he had a 12"w3 in the trunk, but took it out prior to sale. I would like to get a little more low end. I would also like to get a AUX in as well. I have seen some threads about a service who can install it. I went to their website and it appears to be gone. Is there someone else who does this?
Old 09-27-13, 09:49 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

sounds like previous owner removed/disabled the factory sub..
Old 09-27-13, 02:12 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the most base model LS400 you can get (no sunroof, no factory CD player) and even it has a good factory sub, so I can't imagine there was ever an LS400 that didn't come with a sub!
Old 09-27-13, 05:47 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by billymild
I would also like to get a AUX in as well. I have seen some threads about a service who can install it. I went to their website and it appears to be gone. Is there someone else who does this?
If you are talking about Factory Radio Service, I assume (hope?) that their website is down temporarily since they are still very active on eBay. I love the aux-in they installed on my radio - particularly the on/off button they installed on the radio face. I use the aux-in almost every day including today when I streamed Pandora while driving both to and from work.
Old 09-27-13, 07:15 PM
billymild
Driver School Candidate

This gives me hope. Does anyone have detailed info on the audio system?

Last edited by billymild; 09-27-13 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-27-13, 07:35 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

This gives me hope. Does anyone have detailed info on the audio system?
well first we need to know if you have the Pioneer system or the Nakamichi
Old 09-28-13, 05:39 AM
billymild
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
well first we need to know if you have the Pioneer system or the Nakamichi
It is not the Nakamichi
Old 09-28-13, 11:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

It is not the Nakamichi
then by the power of deduction you have the Pioneer....
Old 09-29-13, 01:23 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I would also like to get a AUX in as well. I have seen some threads about a service who can install it. I went to their website and it appears to be gone. Is there someone else who does this?
Factory Radio Services website is back up: http://factoryradioservice.com/page.html?id=1

I highly recommend their slightly more expensive aux-in version with the on/off button on the front face of the radio. It is so cool to be able to toggle between the radio and aux with the button.

If you have the aux-in port installed in the back of the radio, you could even attach a Bluetooth A2DP receiver to it and hide all the cables and the Bluetooth receiver itself. There is plenty of room to put either an old or new style Blackberry Music Gateway in the extra CD cartridge slot but it would take some drilling to pass the cables through to the center stack. Or a Bluetooth receiver could more easily be stashed in the glove box without any drilling to pass the cables ... or in the center console or upper tray of the console .... lots of possibilities.
Old 09-29-13, 03:23 PM
billymild
Driver School Candidate

I will definitely look into that. Is there anyway to get the stock handsfree setup with a new cellphone?

I just checked and it appears the stock sub is doing nothing at all. The wires are hooked up, but there is no sound coming from it. What would be the best way to test this?
Old 09-29-13, 04:26 PM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Easiest way to test to see if the speaker works at all is with a small 9V battery. Remove one of the wires going to the speaker--just in case your amp is shorted--and momentarily connect the battery across the speaker terminals. You should hear a distinct "pop" when the wires are first touched to the speaker. If no sound, the the speaker is kaput, or the surround foam has rotted. Or, you can use an ohm meter to read continuity across the speaker coil. Should read less than 10 ohms.

To see if the amp is putting out, put a voltmeter across the speaker wires with the radio on, and the bass turned up. You should see at least 20V pulsating with the bass sound. An analog meter gives a clearer indication, but digital shows fluctuations also.
Old 09-29-13, 04:30 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I will definitely look into that. Is there anyway to get the stock handsfree setup with a new cellphone?

I just checked and it appears the stock sub is doing nothing at all. The wires are hooked up, but there is no sound coming from it. What would be the best way to test this?
It was probably disabled by the previous owner. Still have his contact info to ask him? Check the amp and see if it is getting 12V. If you are not experienced with this kind of stuff going to a car stereo shop would probably be best.
Old 09-29-13, 06:03 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

The answer seems to be NO based on the hundreds of people who either asked or tried with no success over the 10+ years I've been participating in Lexus forums.

Your choices are:

* a replacement aftermarket radio with Bluetooth hands free phone capability.
* a battery powered visor or cig lighter powered plug-in Bluetooth hands free product.
* an installed Bluetooth phone system from manufacturers like Nokia, Parrot, Motorola, etc. These are dying out as more and more cars come with standard Bluetooth handsfree but they are cool in that they can auto-mute your radio while a call is in progress.
* an aftermarket cradle (e.g. like from iBolt) that allows you to easily use the built-in speaker phone features of some phones.
* A portable navigation product that has a hands free phone function ... like I have: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...lan-nokia.html

Last edited by Kansas; 09-29-13 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-29-13, 06:10 PM
billymild
Driver School Candidate

Does the sub have a separate amp?
Old 09-29-13, 07:50 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Does the sub have a separate amp?
no, and that fact sucks when you get to tack on an extra $325 for a beatsonic demultiplexer rip-off just to change your head unit!

so if you are going to have any wiring done, then my advice is to install a separate sub amp! - and skip the beatsonic, at least then you get something for your money!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audio system info requested