LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Poly bushings...How bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-13, 01:42 AM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poly bushings...How bad?

My strut rod bushings are bad and so are the rear arm bushings on the knuckle well going bad.

I'm looking at poly options cause my records show the bushings were replaced not long ago and i just don't wanna keep doing them. I use the car for work and love the comfort of it. If i go poly how bad am i going to feel it? I have run poly bushings on sports cars and my truck but never something like this. I read somewhere it was a huge deal and changed the ride a ton so i thought id ask before i order.

Thanks
Russell
Old 09-25-13, 04:34 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by IwantLS400
My strut rod bushings are bad and so are the rear arm bushings on the knuckle well going bad.

I'm looking at poly options cause my records show the bushings were replaced not long ago and i just don't wanna keep doing them. I use the car for work and love the comfort of it. If i go poly how bad am i going to feel it? I have run poly bushings on sports cars and my truck but never something like this. I read somewhere it was a huge deal and changed the ride a ton so i thought id ask before i order.

Thanks
Russell
Poly bushings are awful on the LS400, regardless of who made them, avoid like the plague! - use the genuine Toyota original bushings, they are fabulous and cheap! - Many online real Lexus dealerships discount them ~25%

make sure you get the information on how they should be properly clocked (360° orientation) from the service manual to supply to the machine shop pressing them in, or else they will not realize it matters and do it wrong.

when reinstalling the strut bars (as well as many other suspension components) the car must be off the jack and on the ground when the part is torqued down to spec.
Old 09-25-13, 02:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
Poly bushings are awful on the LS400, regardless of who made them, avoid like the plague! - use the genuine Toyota original bushings, they are fabulous and cheap! - Many online real Lexus dealerships discount them ~25%

make sure you get the information on how they should be properly clocked (360° orientation) from the service manual to supply to the machine shop pressing them in, or else they will not realize it matters and do it wrong.

when reinstalling the strut bars (as well as many other suspension components) the car must be off the jack and on the ground when the part is torqued down to spec.
for strut rod yes.

for the Rear carrier arm bushing there isn't any other choice, and the poly bushings available (Adus is my fave for it) work fine.
Old 09-26-13, 06:12 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

quote(I'm looking at poly options cause my records show the bushings were replaced not long ago and i just don't wanna keep doing them.) unquote.... you probably had a novice install them and they tore them up on your first big bump ,,, do like cowboy says, and they will last 70 to a 100k depending on your roads..
Attached Thumbnails Poly bushings...How bad?-srbmk.jpg  
Old 09-29-13, 07:56 PM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info guys. My fronts were replaced and not done correctly by the PO so they pop they are now also worn out. I was looking at price(ebay) and the poly options were much cheaper. Im going to install them all. i just didnt know how bad they were with poly. I was thinking about it the other day and all the poly bushings in the cars i did were pretty nice. I do like how the lexus is kinda numb to everything in the road. I will hunt around for some OEM bushings and just go that route. what about like steering rack bushings in poly for a tighter steering feel?
Old 09-29-13, 09:09 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poly will last forever but tend to make it more sports car like so soft lexus cushion like ride will suffer some but honestly not real bad as some may think.

Depending on the durometer of the poly the nvh levels may not be a whole lot more than stock.