LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Looking for performance suggestions, seems like a rare thing to do.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 07:21 PM
geoprz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for performance suggestions, seems like a rare thing to do.

I understand the ls400 isn't a sports car but I'm looking for more power out of the V8. What are people doing to squeeze out some horsepower? Other then a cold air intake and exhaust...

Need to replace my ECU. Are there performance tuned ECUs out there for our cars?
Old 09-19-13, 07:36 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

I know a guy who's IQ is 170. He has once tried to analyze the ECU for a Celsior.
He was ended up just modding sensor signals.

You need to be smarter than him to get more power.
Old 09-19-13, 07:46 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For tuning you really have to use a piggyback setup or a complete standalone ecu.

They make cams for the 1uz, and you can do head work. You could always go boost on top of that stuff too! There are a lot of options really.

I hope you won the lotto though, it's a very expensive motor once you get into the internals.
Old 09-19-13, 08:59 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by geoprz
Need to replace my ECU. Are there performance tuned ECUs out there for our cars?
The MINES piggyback is the only ECU mod that actually does anything, and it doesn't do a lot (and it is like $2000)

Everything else is snake-oil, but if you fix your failing ECU caps, it will give you additional low end torque that the car hasn't had in years, so that is the best way to go, unless you are rich!

it also will nearly always make all of your ECU issues go away, so the extra power is a bonus!
Old 09-19-13, 09:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

My thoughts among Toyota:
2UR-GSE from the IS-F
2GR-FSE from the IS350 and GS350

It is a sin against the Toyota God, yank the 1UZ and put in a GM crate motor.
Old 09-20-13, 06:23 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

same stuff you would do on any other NA car, other than reflashing/tuning the stock ecu.
Old 09-21-13, 11:27 PM
geoprz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't even find real performance headers for the damn car
Old 09-22-13, 01:10 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geoprz
I can't even find real performance headers for the damn car
every Toyota vehicle I have ever installed aftermarket "performance headers" on, I have lived to later regret!

no aftermarket company seems to come close to Toyota fit and finish, and they always end up causing issues - and besides, your stock exhaust is nicely tuned from the factory, not a lot to be gained there anyway - everyone always jumps to rip out the Lexus exhaust parts, manifold, cat converters, etc., first thing, with no regard of just how finely engineered they are from the factory - just because some other cars have retarded exhaust designs that need to be trashed ASAP, don't assume your Lexus does, they did a helluva engineering job on our exhaust system, and that is the last thing on the car I would touch!
Old 09-22-13, 03:54 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

uhh, PPE makes them for the 1uz, they have patterns for and have made them for '98-00 for sure.

the SC400 headers are rumored to work if you do a custom cat/y-pipe setup.

The factory exhaust is set up to be quiet and efficient and pass EPA/CARB regs for the era. Not performance. Between the FIVE (5) stock mufflers and resonators, crap merges, and log-style manifolds, there is power to be gained. The only part of the exhaust I am completely happy with would be the surprisingly high flowing and high quality metal substrate catalytic converters.
Old 09-22-13, 12:02 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

We've hit on this years ago. Since this is in discussions, JBrady's old thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...tml#post482166
Old 09-22-13, 07:01 PM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I gathered,

There is not a whole lot of performance parts for these cars, and the stuff they have is expensive.

Its a big 4 door luxury car. Most people dont want to race these cars, so why would they make the parts?

to make more power you need to feed it more air, and get the air out. as well as the fuel.

and Im not talking a cold air intake. if you think that is going to give you bigger numbers then just go to Autozone and go nuts.

you need Cams, port and polished heads, some sort of forced induction, free flowing exhuast, stand alone ECU, more fuel.
Old 09-22-13, 07:09 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

if you want a smokin performance car to build, may I suggest a nice Chevy Camaro, Ford Mustang, etc.

the LS400 is all about fit & finish, reliability, quietness, and luxury. - or to sum it up in one word, the Lexus LS is about style - it's not a performance car, and not a good candidate to make into one!
Old 09-22-13, 11:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
if you want a smokin performance car to build, may I suggest a nice Chevy Camaro, Ford Mustang, etc.

the LS400 is all about fit & finish, reliability, quietness, and luxury. - or to sum it up in one word, the Lexus LS is about style - it's not a performance car, and not a good candidate to make into one!
That may be what the LS means to you, but apparently it isn't what it means to many others
Old 09-25-13, 11:05 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
every Toyota vehicle I have ever installed aftermarket "performance headers" on, I have lived to later regret!

no aftermarket company seems to come close to Toyota fit and finish, and they always end up causing issues - and besides, your stock exhaust is nicely tuned from the factory, not a lot to be gained there anyway - everyone always jumps to rip out the Lexus exhaust parts, manifold, cat converters, etc., first thing, with no regard of just how finely engineered they are from the factory - just because some other cars have retarded exhaust designs that need to be trashed ASAP, don't assume your Lexus does, they did a helluva engineering job on our exhaust system, and that is the last thing on the car I would touch!
If by "helluva job" you mean restricted air flow with FIVE mufflers - then yes, they did a great job. Personally, that was the FIRST thing I trashed. Went from the cat back with straight pipes to two Flowmasters. A 110% improvement over stock setup, JMO.
Old 09-25-13, 05:13 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
If by "helluva job" you mean restricted air flow with FIVE mufflers - then yes, they did a great job. Personally, that was the FIRST thing I trashed. Went from the cat back with straight pipes to two Flowmasters. A 110% improvement over stock setup, JMO.
you have turned a refined luxury sedan into a hopped up camaro - congratulations!

Quick Reply: Looking for performance suggestions, seems like a rare thing to do.