LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Crankshaft front seal leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 11:47 AM
camer0nn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you use genuine Toyota cam seals when doing this job?
Yup all replacement parts are OEM

did you reassemble everything using a torque wrench?
Everything was torqued up correctly

I removed the cam pulleys again and found that yes, the lh cam seal is pinched... So off to get a replacement seal for that one
Old 01-07-14, 04:59 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my car has crank seals, cam seals, valve covers leaking oil also......plus a power steering leak.....i have the work order posted on my page under "my albums"
Old 01-07-14, 05:13 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

isn't there a proper tool to push the seal in? a large socket perhaps can double as said tool?
Old 01-13-14, 05:38 PM
camer0nn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
isn't there a proper tool to push the seal in? a large socket perhaps can double as said tool?
I used the old cam seals to push the new ones in.
I placed the new one on the cam shaft then 2 old seals onto the cam shaft. Then tapped slowly into place and repeated on the other seal
Old 01-13-14, 05:46 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by OMAHA
my car has crank seals, cam seals, valve covers leaking oil also......plus a power steering leak.....i have the work order posted on my page under "my albums"
the valve covers are often not worth the trouble or expense, the leak is typically very light - I only do them if oil is still getting down to exhaust manifold and making an annoying burnt oil smell after cleaning engine

power steering leak should be done ASAP to prevent alternator damage (and your RACK is not the source of any leaking )

cam & crank seals are very little additional labor when it is time to do a timing belt (might add another 1/2 hour or an hour tops)
Old 02-25-14, 11:25 PM
racersky
Pole Position

Is there a DIY on how to access the crank seal & cam seals? I have to do mine soon and I've seen the tutorial on the timing belt on LexLS.com but other than that I cannot find how to get to the crank seal and cam seal
Old 02-25-14, 11:45 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by racersky
Is there a DIY on how to access the crank seal & cam seals? I have to do mine soon and I've seen the tutorial on the timing belt on LexLS.com but other than that I cannot find how to get to the crank seal and cam seal
the way you get to them, pretty much is the timing belt job! - so I would always do these two things together!

once you have everything disassembled ready to change the timing belt, then just remove cam pulleys to access cam seals, and remove crank pulley to access crank seal

I would not attempt this crank or cam seal job without a successful timing belt replacement under my belt in the past

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 02-26-14 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-26-14, 12:19 AM
racersky
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
the way you get to them, pretty much is the timing belt job! - so I would always do these two things together!

once you have everything disassembled ready to change the timing belt, then just remove cam pulleys to access cam seals, and remove crank pulley to access crank seal
my question was does the timing belt pulley just slides right off or do i need a specific tool.
Old 02-26-14, 12:42 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

my question was does the timing belt pulley just slides right off or do i need a specific tool.
you need a special tool for each - this is clearly shown in the service manual in the timing belt removal section

I know you are not planning on doing a timing belt replacement or replacing these seals without the factory service manual, are you?
Old 02-26-14, 05:24 AM
Aeok18109
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did most of this job without a FSM. Ive been working on cars since 2008. I know my way around an engine. This was my first timing belt/water pump job. it took FOREVER to do. If you are going to attmept to do this on your own i would highly suggest getting the FSM. I had to guess or research on stuff all the time and it was a giant pita!

My oil pump housing was leaking BADLY. thats where all my oil was coming from. redid the crank and cam seals along with dropping lower pan, and prying down as best i could to remove the oil pump without dropping upper pan (didnt have way to support engine from top at the time).

It was one hell of a learning experience and a much deeper appreciation for my car. before i did the job it was CLEARLY pushing out a quart a minute out of that hole in the bottom timing cover. it was FUBAR. now? not a drop of oil or coolant to be found anywhere.
Old 02-26-14, 06:03 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Here's a GREAT thread to get you going with pictures and everything you need. It's explained very thoroughly and even gives hints which the FSM ( Factory Service Manual ) won't do.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...cement-how-to/

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...-seal-removal/

Last edited by sha4000; 02-26-14 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-26-14, 10:58 AM
racersky
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
you need a special tool for each - this is clearly shown in the service manual in the timing belt removal section

I know you are not planning on doing a timing belt replacement or replacing these seals without the factory service manual, are you?
I'm replacing everything like I try to mention before I'm looking at the tutorial on LexLS and he doesn't show how to remove the time belt pulley.
Old 02-26-14, 11:40 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I'm replacing everything like I try to mention before I'm looking at the tutorial on LexLS and he doesn't show how to remove the time belt pulley.
He has a red circle over the pulley bolt that you need to remove.
Old 02-26-14, 12:18 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Crankshaft front seal leak?-5mqglj2.jpg
Old 02-26-14, 01:39 PM
racersky
Pole Position

Thank you for your help guys. Where can I buy the sst tool and do I have to buy that or could I use something else instead of buying that tool.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft front seal leak?