LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Shooting the LS400 with satin black paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 01:50 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

(I replied but I guess it didn't go through...)
I would recommend using flat/matte/satin black vinyl as opposed to painting. This way, there's a lot less room for error in terms of getting the color right, and it's a little easier to do on a semi-DIY budget. Or, if you want it professionally done, it'll be nice with the budget you currently have. You can also preserve the paint this way (personally, the idea of scrapping a $10-20k paint job makes me cringe) and protect it from damage, to a degree.

As for the burnout, they are VERY doable. Here's an example (yeah, yeah, with great [horse]power comes great responsibility) done by myself (it's a little enhanced to show detail):

How I did it are as follows (credits to usoff89 for the instructions):
1. Turn off VSC (no, not VIPStyleCars, Vehicle Stability Control). There should be a button, to the left side under your radio which reads "-VSC-". Just hold it down for ~2 seconds until a "VSC OFF" prompt appears on your gauge cluster.
2. Press down your brake pedal (preferably all the way).
3. Rev your engine to ~3000 RPMs, while holding down the brake pedal.
4. Gradually decrease the pressure on the brake pedal - your car should start moving forward at a turtle's pace.
5. At this point, you may want to increase throttle/brake accordingly until you start feeling vibrations (this is the car's tires braking traction).
6. Burn rubber*
7. Launch! (Be careful about how you go about doing this, because this car FLIES from a standstill - make sure the road is extra clear ahead.)
8. Take a moment to "admire your tire marks" (preferably with your car out of the picture)

* I wouldn't advise doing this for too long, as it puts a great deal of stress on the car's internals, namely the transmission.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 09-19-13 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 02:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
(I replied but I guess it didn't go through...)
I would recommend using flat/matte/satin black vinyl as opposed to painting. This way, there's a lot less room for error in terms of getting the color right, and it's a little easier to do on a semi-DIY budget. Or, if you want it professionally done, it'll be nice with the budget you currently have. You can also preserve the paint this way (personally, the idea of scrapping a $10-20k paint job makes me cringe) and protect it from damage, to a degree.

As for the burnout, they are VERY doable. Here's an example (yeah, yeah, with great [horse]power comes great responsibility) done by myself (it's a little enhanced to show detail):

How I did it are as follows (credits to usoff89 for the instructions):
1. Turn off VSC (no, not VIPStyleCars, Vehicle Stability Control). There should be a button, to the left side under your radio which reads "-VSC-". Just hold it down for ~2 seconds until a "VSC OFF" prompt appears on your gauge cluster.
2. Press down your brake pedal (preferably all the way).
3. Rev your engine to ~3000 RPMs, while holding down the brake pedal.
4. Gradually decrease the pressure on the brake pedal - your car should start moving forward at a turtle's pace.
5. At this point, you may want to increase throttle/brake accordingly until you start feeling vibrations (this is the car's tires braking traction).
6. Burn rubber*
7. Launch! (Be careful about how you go about doing this, because this car FLIES from a standstill - make sure the road is extra clear ahead.)
8. Take a moment to "admire your tire marks" (preferably with your car out of the picture)

* I wouldn't advise doing this for too long, as it puts a great deal of stress on the car's internals, namely the transmission.
having drag raced my LS a fair bit, it does not fly from a launch at all. It just feels fast because the whole car squats down.

stock 60' times are not great lol.
Old 09-19-13, 02:52 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremiah87
Nothing comes close to a factory painted finish, doesnt it get powdercoated and baked or the shell is dipped or something of that nature?

I washed the car (2 bucket method with grit guard) and foam gun, used a MF sponge and went to town gently. Then clayed barred using the mothers brand yellow bar (not crazy agressive) and used the soap method. Then re-washed to remove clay residue. I then polished the paint with Klasse AIO and the while I brought back a decent mirror finish....the scratches are still there. Its very heavy on the roof, trunk, and hood. Its like someone used a scotch bright pad or a dishwashing sponge (the green rough side) to scrub the paint.

I know here in Norcal a decent paint job runs around 4K+. Although I did have my Miata resprayed for $2500 and it came out decently enough for me...and I am very critical but for $2500...I was content and happy with the results.

I would say my budget is $5K (dont want to spend more than that)

I know some really good show car paint jobs are around $10-20K but that is way to much for me...heck its like 3x the value of the car lol but regardless good paint jobs are $$$.

P.S. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable with detailing but I dont know how/never used a buffer. Maybe I should go to some body shops/detail shops and inquire if my paint can be saved? My trunk looks swirled/scratched as heck but it might buff out as you mentioned with a buffer and appropriate compound.
sounds like your already know about paint maintenance! i love the two bucket method as to not introduce new scratches to the paint. after claying, you will need to correct that scratches then. a good buffer (i suggest dual action or DA for beginners, more forgiving) will go a long way here.

with your budget, a decent original color restoration can be performed. why go flat black when she is so nice when shiny?!
Old 09-19-13, 03:09 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense Scope, but I'd have to agree with PD on this one. The LS4's are a dog from a stand still launch. Maybe with a higher stall and some better gears you could get a good 0-60 time.
Old 09-19-13, 03:56 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies guys and the burn out instructions, I will do that this weekend at the car meet. (just kidding...that will be for an empty parking lot when nobody is around )

I have also decided that if I do need a repaint I will stick with the OEM black. I like the satin finish and it will always be a hit with me though. Fads may come and go but what I like is what I like.

As for the paint maintenance, I have owned 3 black cars and the other 2 in our household are black. We have always had black cars and while its a love/hate relationship....ultimately I find it hard to leave the dark side. But in my lifetime, I will and must own a white car. I love white too since it looks so clean and pure....and its so damn forgiving in terms of not showing swirls and dirt. Unless you sling mud at the white car....it looks clean most of the time.

And speaking of the bullet mufflers. I think I am just gonna throw my stock mufflers back on. I had the 2 mufflers, 3 resonators deleted and while the car sounds like a beast...the drone is driving me nuts. I can feather the throttle a bit to get away from the drone but overall the car is just a bit to loud for my taste.

Instead of making a new thread, does anybody know how the car will sound compared to stock with the 3 resonators deleted and just keeping the 2 mufflers? Thats my plan anyways, to have the 2 mufflers put back on. I like an audible exhaust note/noise level...just not the loud set up I have now.

Last edited by Jeremiah87; 09-19-13 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 05:22 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I would think you would have nice tone to it. It will be louder than stock but I wouldn't call it too loud though.
Old 09-19-13, 05:54 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by usoff89
I would think you would have nice tone to it. It will be louder than stock but I wouldn't call it too loud though.
Yeah thats what I was thinking but I wont know for sure until I have em put back on.

I was tempted to run two of these

but since I already have my stock mufflers sitting in the garage and dont wanna spend more $ Ill use the OEM.
Old 09-19-13, 07:37 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by usoff89
No offense Scope, but I'd have to agree with PD on this one. The LS4's are a dog from a stand still launch. Maybe with a higher stall and some better gears you could get a good 0-60 time.
Well, to a 16 year old who's driven hardly anything else aside from bulky SUVs (e.g. Lexus GX470), it feels pretty fast
Old 09-19-13, 07:38 PM
sleepywgn
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ill leave this here!

I might be doing this soon...
Old 09-19-13, 07:40 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Check it! His fender is F*** just like mine!
Old 09-19-13, 07:45 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sleepywgn
Ill leave this here!

I might be doing this soon...
In my opinion, the 2.5LS is better suited to glossy/sporty colors (like Ultrasonic Blue Metallic or Matador Red) like that of a sports car. Satin black is better with the boxier 1LS and maybe 2LS if you're going for a hardcore race theme.
Old 09-19-13, 07:54 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

^Im liking that very much, looks good to me but that fender is a bit of distraction. Overall though I am fan.
Thanks for posting that sleepywgn.

Since my LS400 is a 1998 model...I was wondering why it looks "fatter" than the older LS400s. I cant quite remember what the refresh was but are the newer LS400s have different bumpers or something? And I also notice the older LS400s have power retractable antennas while mine is internal.
Old 09-19-13, 08:10 PM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremiah87

I posted my car above and while the paint looks good in the photo...its unfortunately seen better days.
Dude, that paint job looks great! I thought this color is the standard 202 Black Onyx. How much did you pay for that paint job? I might want to paint my car that color, but my car is presently painted in its original Black Jade, which is also a nice color. I prefer Black Onyx, though.
Old 09-19-13, 08:40 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by EmpPenguin
Dude, that paint job looks great! I thought this color is the standard 202 Black Onyx. How much did you pay for that paint job? I might want to paint my car that color, but my car is presently painted in its original Black Jade, which is also a nice color. I prefer Black Onyx, though.
I wish! Its the factory the paint, the car has never been painted. The car looks near immaculate in photos but once you get up close and personal to the paint you will see its heavily scratched up. I am assuming the previous owner washed the car with SOS pads....

Black cars should be left to the people who know how to exercise proper and vigilant paint care.

What does the black jade look like?

I remember hearing about a black teal too...the car looks black in the shade but in the sun there is a teal hue that is present...looks good.
Old 09-20-13, 12:05 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

One of JDMland's finest!

Quick Reply: Shooting the LS400 with satin black paint?