LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Uses for an old belt - How to tighten crank pulley bolt for FREE

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-13, 10:34 PM
aomdedude1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uses for an old belt - How to tighten crank pulley bolt for FREE

I didn't want to shell out the money for a proper pulley holding tool so I tried a whole host of different methods to try and remove my crank pulley bolt. I went to autozone many time to get loaner tools and not a single one of them helped.

I rented a steering wheel puller, cam shaft holder, and fan clutch holder but none of those things worked. I thought the fan clutch
holder would be the most promising but that simply bent the bolts.

So to loosen the bolt I finally just jammed a screw driver into the flywheel, but for fear of doing damage, I was determined to find another method of holding the engine still for installation and torquing of the bolt. I remembered reading through the forums and hearing some people saying to use your old belt but I just wasn't picturing how that would actually would work. So just before I was about to give in and buy the sst holder tool, I gave the belt trick a try it a try.

FREE homemade crank pulley holder/removal tool:

I couldn't believe how well it worked, and it didn't involve jamming screwdrivers into places, shoving strings down the spark plug hole, or buying super expensive one time use paper weight tools.

The same method works great on cam pulleys by using the old timing belt.

Just to be safe, don't wrap the belt around the oil cooler lines lie I did.

Thought I would share for anyone needing to remove or install this bolt in the future.

Last edited by aomdedude1; 09-11-13 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-12-13, 02:02 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

not sure whether to congratulate or condemn this post - lol

yes, using an old belt is a great plan for tightening, but only secured to a frame member or something like that, but wrapping the belt around an oil cooler line??, that is dumber than a box of rocks!

really, if you are using a holding tool of any kind for loosening, you are doing it the hard way!

not sure why everyone struggles with the crank pulley, when a real oiled compressor can be had for $99 on sale and an awesomely powerful HF Earthquake 1/2" impact is about $95

these are basic auto repair tools and with the high output impact gun, due to inertia, you don't even need a holding tool of any kind! - a 1 second pop with the gun and it's off!
Old 09-12-13, 02:36 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
not sure whether to congratulate or condemn this post - lol

yes, using an old belt is a great plan for tightening, but only secured to a frame member or something like that, but wrapping the belt around an oil cooler line??, that is dumber than a box of rocks!

really, if you are using a holding tool of any kind for loosening, you are doing it the hard way!

not sure why everyone struggles with the crank pulley, when a real oiled compressor can be had for $99 on sale and an awesomely powerful HF Earthquake 1/2" impact is about $95

these are basic auto repair tools and with the high output impact gun, due to inertia, you don't even need a holding tool of any kind! - a 1 second pop with the gun and it's off!
this hit pretty much all the points down to the earthquake impact...
Old 09-12-13, 12:30 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i didn't think jamming a screwdriver onto the flywheel was a bad idea. i slowly applied the torque to remove the bolt and it came of with ease (though i did use a pipe extension on my breaker bar). also i soaked the bolt with PB blaster prior to.

still, i can see how this can work, just not wrapped around cooler lines as stated!
Old 09-12-13, 01:15 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
this hit pretty much all the points down to the earthquake impact...
the HF Earthquake impact is reliable and powerful and very economical at around $95

if you have plenty of money, by all means get
this one instead this one instead