LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

please*HELP* ucf10 Power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-13, 02:12 PM
divineVIP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation please*HELP* ucf10 Power steering problem

SO HERES WHATS GOING ON..I have a 1990 Ls400, when I bought the car 4 months ago, it had a minor p/s leak. After the second month, the leak got worse, I was refilling it with the cheap STP p/s fluid about every 2 or 3 days. A friend recommended I use Lucas brand. This thicker fluid definitely did the job. I was refilling the fluid every other week. NOW this morning when I started my car, it made the usual "low p/s fluid noise" oddly enough, since I barely refilled it a couple days ago. But when I tried to turn the wheel to see how bad it was, No response at all. The system was completely out. then when I stepped outside I heard a bubbly noise. Looked under the car, and noticed it was throwing up power steering fluid under the driver side, but really foamy-like. Never seen it do that before. Then I checked out the p/s tank, and it was all foamy-like too. I turned off my car to let the pressures in the hoses settle..checked the tank again and it was nearly empty. I refilled it completely with more Lucas p/s fluid, turned on the car, and it began doing the same thing. It drained all the fluid. I need your help, Please reply with advise, tips, or diagnostics. Thank you for your time
Old 09-10-13, 02:38 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Those stop leak products are and when the system is leaking that much, it needs to be fixed. With it leaking that much, the system isn't developing proper fluid pressure so there will be no power assist. Can be simple as a hose or something in the rack has gone bye-bye. Luckily it wasn't leaking from the pump or you'd have certainly killed the alternator.

This thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ing-bible.html
Old 09-10-13, 03:04 PM
divineVIP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
Those stop leak products are and when the system is leaking that much, it needs to be fixed. With it leaking that much, the system isn't developing proper fluid pressure so there will be no power assist. Can be simple as a hose or something in the rack has gone bye-bye. Luckily it wasn't leaking from the pump or you'd have certainly killed the alternator.

This thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ing-bible.html
besides going to a shop, do you know of a way I can diagnose it myself? I hate going to auto shops because they always over charge. especially since i can probably find the needed parts for half price on rockauto. haha. typically, How much does it usually cost to fix either possible issue?
Old 09-10-13, 03:14 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

get under the car and source the leak! if you have no means to do so then you have no choice but to take it to a mechanic. your pump will certainly need a rebuild if you ran it dry for too long. it could be as simple as a ruptured hose.
Old 09-10-13, 05:19 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You probably already know this, but it is essential to fix the PS leak ASAP.
The fluid will kill the alternator (directly below the PS pump), and will cost you more $$$ and hassle.
Old 09-10-13, 05:45 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene01
You probably already know this, but it is essential to fix the PS leak ASAP.
The fluid will kill the alternator (directly below the PS pump), and will cost you more $$$ and hassle.
The OP says it is leaking on drivers side. So it wont ruin the alternator with his leak. Sounds to me it would be leaking from the solenoid (which is on the drivers side) or the steering rack itself. You will have to crawl under the car to see exactly where it's leaking from then we can let you know what it would take to fix it.
Old 09-11-13, 03:18 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
The OP says it is leaking on drivers side. So it wont ruin the alternator with his leak. Sounds to me it would be leaking from the solenoid (which is on the drivers side) or the steering rack itself. You will have to crawl under the car to see exactly where it's leaking from then we can let you know what it would take to fix it.
my experience would say otherwise - it seems when an LS400 power steering system is leaking from anywhere, the leaked fluid seems to magically find the alternator and kill it!

he needs to fix the PS leak ASAP regardless of where the leak is, and pump/reservoir/hoses are the common three areas - leak on the rack itself in LS400 is possible but much more rare.
Old 09-11-13, 06:35 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
my experience would say otherwise - it seems when an LS400 power steering system is leaking from anywhere, the leaked fluid seems to magically find the alternator and kill it!

he needs to fix the PS leak ASAP regardless of where the leak is, and pump/reservoir/hoses are the common three areas - leak on the rack itself in LS400 is possible but much more rare.
True but, I was just going by him saying drivers side. But now that I had time to sleep........if he still has the lower engine cover, it could be coming from the pump or actually anywhere and dripping out the drivers side. Only way to know is get in there and look.
Old 09-11-13, 08:12 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my 96LS400 has a Power Steering Leak on the High Pressure Line with Part Number 44410-50050

Please provide me with a link where I can source this part at the most reasonable price.

Furthermore, I also have a leak on my Steering Rack. Would it be wise/economical to change this whole rack? or can repairs be done ?
Old 09-11-13, 08:59 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MattLS400
my 96LS400 has a Power Steering Leak on the High Pressure Line with Part Number 44410-50050

Please provide me with a link where I can source this part at the most reasonable price.

Furthermore, I also have a leak on my Steering Rack. Would it be wise/economical to change this whole rack? or can repairs be done
?
You can rebuild the steering rack, if you got the time and patience or you can buy a remanufactured rack (and have a warranty on it) for a decent price. If you search this forum you can find which brands are the better ones, along with the high pressure hose.
Old 09-11-13, 09:54 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MattLS400

Furthermore, I also have a leak on my Steering Rack. Would it be wise/economical to change this whole rack? or can repairs be done ?
I think I would just change the hose, which will end up being 95% of the leak, I predict

here is a great deal on an aftermarket hose that has gotten good reviews here on Club Lexus and is dirt cheap - Enjoy!
Old 09-11-13, 11:33 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget the power steering cooler pipe, the U shaped one that runs just in front of the bottom of the radiator along the front of the car.
This tends to rust due to it's exposed position and has been the cause of fluid loss in the past, it would also explain why the leak appears to be on the driver's side.
!0mm copper plumbing pipe can be shaped and used as a replacement.
Old 09-11-13, 12:19 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I think I would just change the hose, which will end up being 95% of the leak, I predict

here is a great deal on an aftermarket hose that has gotten good reviews here on Club Lexus and is dirt cheap - Enjoy!
Ur name should be LSGod! thanks, ordering right away..