LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Manual swap 90 ls400

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-13, 02:20 PM
Lexturious
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual swap 90 ls400

Hey ive been working on getting my ls400 swapped over to a 5speed using a w58 from a old supra if possible. I know people recommend using a mkIV trans if doing so but I can only locate a mk3 trans near me so I was wondering what headaches this would cause and if it can or has been done. thanks for any input.
Old 09-09-13, 06:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexturious
Hey ive been working on getting my ls400 swapped over to a 5speed using a w58 from a old supra if possible. I know people recommend using a mkIV trans if doing so but I can only locate a mk3 trans near me so I was wondering what headaches this would cause and if it can or has been done. thanks for any input.
been done a couple times, please search. you'll need a custom driveshaft, clutch master cyl and pedal assy., custom parking brake (relocated as well), and custom brake pedal.

All this on top of the standard xUZ-W5x trans adapter setup.
Old 09-10-13, 06:02 AM
Lexturious
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I have the pedal assembly's ordered from driftmotion and the the master and slave im going to get from Napa or something once I get closer to having everything. I am also waiting till the trans is in before I get my driveshaft customized since im not sure on measurments yet and im going to weld my differential at the same time and fix the pinion seal that's leaking. The parking break im going to just tie into my rear brake lines so so I can just rip the old parking brake setup out all together. I was mainly concerned about using a MK3 trans vs one from a sc300 or MK4 since ive been told not to use the mk3 for some reason and was trying to see if anyone with more experience could verify if this is true.
Old 09-10-13, 01:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Yeah I have the pedal assembly's ordered from driftmotion and the the master and slave im going to get from Napa or something once I get closer to having everything. I am also waiting till the trans is in before I get my driveshaft customized since im not sure on measurments yet and im going to weld my differential at the same time and fix the pinion seal that's leaking. The parking break im going to just tie into my rear brake lines so so I can just rip the old parking brake setup out all together. I was mainly concerned about using a MK3 trans vs one from a sc300 or MK4 since ive been told not to use the mk3 for some reason and was trying to see if anyone with more experience could verify if this is true.
the later W58s (in SC's/Supras) had a few internal changes and steel sandwhich plates and are generally regarded as stronger.

I hope you realize the pedal won't just fit in and you'll be doing a fair bit of work to get it to fit, as well as relocating a fuse-box.
Old 09-10-13, 02:16 PM
Lexturious
Driver School Candidate

Yeah that's why I wanted to get the pedal assembly first since I know that's going to be the major pain in the *** but im hoping between me and a few mechanics with plenty of experience we will be able to figure something out. Ive read a bit into the swap on forums on sc400`s and a few other cars but I couldn't find much on the ls400. I don't think it will be to difficult though since im in no rush to get it done. kind of a side project for the winter, but that's good to know about the trans I figured I would run into a wiring issue for the nss or something. I was going to get a sc300 w58 shipped over 500 miles to Minnesota on top of the cost of the trans so it would be a lot cheaper to just pick up a older one from the junk yard. the fuse box should be able to just be moved over a bit to clear the pedal without any re wiring once I remove the parking brake clutter.
Old 09-15-13, 08:58 PM
4U2QUIK
Driver School Candidate

you might want to take a look on lextreme. there's been a few done on there.
Old 09-15-13, 11:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

just jump the NSS and you'll be fine in that regard.

Aside from relocating a fusebox you may want to consider a reverse-swingarm style clutch pedal so you don't have to drill the firewall.
Old 09-16-13, 06:20 AM
Lexturious
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the heads up,looks like they come with the brake and clutch pedal together and I'm guessing they are adjustable so just about any of them would work?
Old 09-16-13, 11:11 AM
Lexturious
Driver School Candidate

I see some of them come with master cylinders attatched as well so that save room and hassle trying to mount those on the firewall as well. Plus they are only $150-200 which is a lot cheaper thenthe pedals from drift motion. Should I worry about getting the right size or how will I know it will have enough travel distance? I want to order one now and get my conversion kit.
Old 09-17-13, 01:59 PM
Lexturious
Driver School Candidate

So I was searching to learn more about the swap and it still seams like most people say to use the mk4 supra/sc300 w58 to make it easier. So I might have to wait a few more months to get the transmission since the closest one to me is 4-500 miles away.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...c400-swap.html
Old 09-17-13, 06:51 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just looking into the clutch pedal setup. You can get those reverse mount setups with a remote mounted reservoir, so your not pouring fluid under the dash....

CNC makes them, and you can get them in different sizes, and with different reservoir styles.
Old 09-17-13, 08:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

So I was searching to learn more about the swap and it still seams like most people say to use the mk4 supra/sc300 w58 to make it easier. So I might have to wait a few more months to get the transmission since the closest one to me is 4-500 miles away.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...c400-swap.html
that's for the SC, because they were made for the chassis...
Old 09-18-13, 06:22 AM
Lexturious
Driver School Candidate

that would be nice since pouring fluid under the dash would suck especially if you spill thanks for the heads up. Im not sure what size will fit right yet so im just going to order one and see how it fits and go from there.

Oh that makes sense like I said I couldn't find much about ls400 manual conversions. guess the project is back on track.
Old 09-24-13, 06:48 AM
Lexturious
Driver School Candidate

My w58 will be here tomorrow so how I was trying to figure out what pedal set to order and I wasn't sure on the pedal ratio since the ls400 never came stock with a manual. The pedal ratio determines the amount of force it takes to engage the clutch correct? So I wouldn't need to worry about getting the correct ratio as the actual clutch engaging/disengaging isn't effect by it at all or am I wrong? One person j know said it does matter and the other said it doesn't so I just want to make sure. *
Old 09-24-13, 06:59 AM
Lexturious
Driver School Candidate

http://www.wilwood.com/Pedals/PedalP...temno=340-4828

This is the pedal I was thinking about ordering but I wasn't sure if I should get longer pedals or not? These are around 10" and I think the others are around 11-12.

Quick Reply: Manual swap 90 ls400