LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The Modification You Are About to See is Real...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-13, 09:27 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
these are dual tap coilovers. You leave the preset set to 0 on the springs (should be that way stock) and then thread them out of the bottom mount to change height.

Tim is saying you should lengthen them (ie-thread out of the lower mount) a fair it as they come super low to fit in the box.
Yup, but the question remains...wht is a "fair amount"?
Old 09-07-13, 09:28 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RA40
In this heat you are brave. Yesterday was 98F and today it is expected to be 100F.
Gonna be 90-something again today, but the show must go on...
Old 09-07-13, 12:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

1.5-2" is a good place to start, better higher than lower so you can stil get a jack under it to raise to car so you can adjust height.
Old 09-07-13, 11:18 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

1.5-2" is a good place to start, better higher than lower so you can stil get a jack under it to raise to car so you can adjust height.
Yea, that's pretty much what we did. After the adjustments, the front was right where I wanted it but the rear still needed to come down a few inches. Once we dialed that in it was a matter of tweaking the damping. Right now I got the rear all the way (H) and the fronts on 7 (S).

All in all it wasn't too bad. Didn't do the ball joints since I noticed the short threaded arm with the small ball joint on the end (pitman arms?) also needed to be replaced and I didn't have those parts so I'll just wait until I get everything together.

Pulled the VRS fuse so no more dash indicator but now the "Headlight Aiming" warning won't go off. Any ideas? More pix tomorrow. Cheers. Hiroshi
Old 09-07-13, 11:32 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SuicidnS13
LOL I was expecting something ground breaking LMFAO
same here. I came in here expecting to be like

instead, i'm like meh..
Old 09-08-13, 12:30 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Yea, that's pretty much what we did. After the adjustments, the front was right where I wanted it but the rear still needed to come down a few inches. Once we dialed that in it was a matter of tweaking the damping. Right now I got the rear all the way (H) and the fronts on 7 (S).

All in all it wasn't too bad. Didn't do the ball joints since I noticed the short threaded arm with the small ball joint on the end (pitman arms?) also needed to be replaced and I didn't have those parts so I'll just wait until I get everything together.

Pulled the VRS fuse so no more dash indicator but now the "Headlight Aiming" warning won't go off. Any ideas? More pix tomorrow. Cheers. Hiroshi
You'll want to reverse that. The front should be a fair bit stiffer than the rear as it carries more weight. No FR car i know of is set up with a soft front and a stiff rear...
Old 09-08-13, 02:45 AM
ItsMiles
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I know, there should be a headlight leveling sensor is located on or near the original stock strut.. There are two sensors, one in front and one in back. just forgot if they were on the passenger or driver sides. Wire those back up and align them properly and you should be done. But wait for the other more knowledgable members to add their input..
Old 09-08-13, 09:17 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ItsMiles
From what I know, there should be a headlight leveling sensor is located on or near the original stock strut.. There are two sensors, one in front and one in back. just forgot if they were on the passenger or driver sides. Wire those back up and align them properly and you should be done. But wait for the other more knowledgable members to add their input..
Well, idk about that since I didn't remove any wiring or sensors for this install...just airlines
Old 09-08-13, 09:19 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

You'll want to reverse that. The front should be a fair bit stiffer than the rear as it carries more weight. No FR car i know of is set up with a soft front and a stiff rear...
K. Gonna try that this morning. I was beat yesterday and only did a short test-drive. Any ideas on that Headlight Aiming thing? Somewhere the car's little brain knows something has changed and now a sensor must have activated...
Old 09-08-13, 09:23 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ItsMiles
Wait..I take my last post back. There were electrical connectors at the top of each one of the air struts, but with the struts gone those are just hanging there with nothing to connect to...could those somehow be inline with a headlight-leveling sensor? That doesn't make much sense but what else could it be? Thanks for everyone's input. Hiroshi
Old 09-08-13, 09:26 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Tie-rod ends...duh
Old 09-08-13, 09:28 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MIGS
same here. I came in here expecting to be like

instead, i'm like meh..
Send me those wheels so I can make this thread more interesting
Old 09-08-13, 10:47 AM
oldyota
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pics or it didn't happen?
Old 09-08-13, 09:34 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oldyota
pics or it didn't happen?
Yessssss. It happened.

Out with the old (must have shed at least 60 lbs) and in with the new. Stance wise the car sits almost exactly where it was when I mod'd the factory air sus, but with the Megans there are two distinct advantages: a ride height and damping level I can control and the reassurance of not dying in a fiery crash on my morning commute. Bonus
Attached Thumbnails The Modification You Are About to See is Real...-dsc04985.jpg   The Modification You Are About to See is Real...-dsc04987.jpg   The Modification You Are About to See is Real...-dsc04986.jpg   The Modification You Are About to See is Real...-dsc04989.jpg  
Old 09-09-13, 05:48 AM
oldyota
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice job.

Question: in the picture shown of the coilover, is this where your final setting was (threaded out). If so what is that measurement of exposed threads. for F&R
I would like a good place to start as i dont want to jack around
Thanks
looks good

Quick Reply: The Modification You Are About to See is Real...