LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1997 LS400 - Radio says HELP on the screen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 09:32 AM
W4SIM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 LS400 - Radio says HELP on the screen?

Hello all

A friend of mine has recently purchased a 1997 Lexus LS400 and could not get the radio to work.

When i had a look at it i could not get it to switch ON or OFF, the power button does not seem to do anything.

The screen just says "HELP".

I thought it may need the code but apparently that would say "CODE". Iv never seen the word HELP before.

Any help?
Old 08-21-13, 09:41 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I own a 97LS and have never seen the word HELP on the radio readout.Hope somebody knows what is going on because it will be interesting to find out the details.
Old 08-21-13, 11:02 AM
W4SIM
Rookie

Ok, after a bit of research it seems iv found what the problem is, but not entirely sure what the soluition is.

It seems that the security code was activated. Everytime you input the wrong code it should ask you for the security code again. 9 times is the limit to input the wrong code, if you do it the Tenth time then it comes up with the word HELP and the radio becomes inoperable, you cannot even attempt to input the security code again.

But what im trying to get at now is what "inoperable" is???

Is that totally dead or is there STILL a fix to it?
Old 08-21-13, 12:10 PM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by W4SIM
Ok, after a bit of research it seems iv found what the problem is, but not entirely sure what the soluition is.

It seems that the security code was activated. Everytime you input the wrong code it should ask you for the security code again. 9 times is the limit to input the wrong code, if you do it the Tenth time then it comes up with the word HELP and the radio becomes inoperable, you cannot even attempt to input the security code again.

Good to know info. Bummer tho. A fix might be a trip to the Best Buy Car Electronics Department for a new HU.
Old 08-21-13, 01:12 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't give up now,you've got to be half way home!!!!!
Old 08-21-13, 02:29 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Hello all

A friend of mine has recently purchased a 1997 Lexus LS400 and could not get the radio to work.

When i had a look at it i could not get it to switch ON or OFF, the power button does not seem to do anything.

The screen just says "HELP".

I thought it may need the code but apparently that would say "CODE". Iv never seen the word HELP before.

Any help?
pull the negative battery cable overnight and you may be able to at least get it back to the point where it asks for the code!
Old 08-21-13, 05:10 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

It's good that you searched, you probably found this; http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...449U/pdf/2.pdf Which tells you the solution, when the word help appears to contact dealer. I would call the dealer just to ask what they do. I've never heard of anyone fixing this problem on their own.
Old 08-21-13, 06:27 PM
W4SIM
Rookie

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
pull the negative battery cable overnight and you may be able to at least get it back to the point where it asks for the code!
Have had it disconnected for several nights, but no joy. Still says HELP.
Old 08-21-13, 07:05 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Hmmmm.. What year did this "code input" thing start? And what do you have to do to trigger it?
Old 08-21-13, 08:32 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

if i recall correctly from when I was a Lexus tech, there is a secret dealers-only code that can straighten this problem out, especially if you still have the standard radio security code

take it to the Lexus dealership and be persistent!

(do you really think that if you screw up entering the code 10 times, that they make a valued Lexus customer buy a whole new radio?)

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 08-21-13 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-22-13, 04:32 AM
W4SIM
Rookie

(do you really think that if you screw up entering the code 10 times, that they make a valued Lexus customer buy a whole new radio?)
I wouldnt put it past Stealers to do this, but im going down there now to see what they say.

Will let you know the outcome to this.
Old 08-22-13, 05:07 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

The OP's location is "International". Lexus radios in North American specification LS400's were not protected by security codes after 1994. Toyota/Lexus offered a variety of radio systems in other world markets and they were often very different that those in North American specification cars.
Old 08-22-13, 05:22 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kansas
The OP's location is "International". Lexus radios in North American specification LS400's were not protected by security codes after 1994. Toyota/Lexus offered a variety of radio systems in other world markets and they were often very different that those in North American specification cars.
be that as it may, I vaguely recall this problem, and I remember there was some sequence of secret button presses/codes that cleared the HELP screen and got a stock LS400/Celsior head unit back going again

I was working on an A/C issue at the time and was not paying full attention to all of the steps performed, just heard shop talk about it in the break room.
Old 08-22-13, 05:49 PM
W4SIM
Rookie

Im located in the UK and im not sure if its different to the US market after 1994, but these radio's can be protected via a security code set by the owner. They do not come out of the factory with the security code enabled, as a matter of fact in the manual it clearly states that the owner should disable the security at the time of resale of the car.

This one clearly wasnt by one of the previous owners and the next owner to him must have just tried enetering the wrong code 1 too many times.
Old 08-22-13, 06:15 PM
W4SIM
Rookie

be that as it may, I vaguely recall this problem, and I remember there was some sequence of secret button presses/codes that cleared the HELP screen and got a stock LS400/Celsior head unit back going again

I was working on an A/C issue at the time and was not paying full attention to all of the steps performed, just heard shop talk about it in the break room.

I so wish you were listening, because that is exactly what they need to do.

Went down to the dealers earlier but the guy wasnt 100% sure if it would work or not as its getting to be a bit of an old system now. Actually he did not even know what i was talking about as he had never come across the problem before and he had been there for quite a number of years now.

But what he's told me to do is to book the car in with them, they will then contact "Lexus Technical" to see if theres still a solution and if there is, then its 1 hours labour. If there isnt then there no charges, but it means the radio is good for nothing.

Personally im not too sure wether its actually a btter idea, and cheaper, to replace the radio with an aftermarket unit.

Not sure which ones would fit in there though as it seems to be a double din unit?

Quick Reply: 1997 LS400 - Radio says HELP on the screen?