LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Humming noise on 99 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-13, 03:04 AM
ItsMiles
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming noise on 99 LS400

Tried doing some searches here and I couldn't find anything... Well this problem started this morning. Basically, when I started the car, I heard a "loud humming" I thought it might have been the engine and the belts still cold... But when the engine warmed up I still noticed the humming. When I drive I can hear the humming. The sound matches the revs in the engine... When Rpm drops, humming drops, when rpm goes up, the humming follows, you get the picture...
I'm stumped. I checked engine oil, it's fine. Thought it was transmission fluid, but that's fine. Checked power steering fluid, and that's good... It's too dark to check much else right now, and in planning to check in the morning, but I believe it can be a belt issue... Car has 97k on it. With the timing belt and water pump already replaced by past owner...

Any ideas guys??
Old 08-14-13, 03:12 AM
ItsMiles
Driver

No vibrations/ shaking while driving, sound doesnt change while turning, doesn't go away when i let off gas...
Old 08-14-13, 04:55 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I would guess a pulley or tensioner. Did you have the timing belt tensioner replaced with the belt? There is one for the serpentine belt too.
Old 08-14-13, 07:06 AM
ItsMiles
Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I would guess a pulley or tensioner. Did you have the timing belt tensioner replaced with the belt? There is one for the serpentine belt too.
This is what I was thinking too.. I'm hoping this isn't what it is...
Old 08-14-13, 07:34 AM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe its not seated properly. wouldn't hurt to take a look.
Old 08-14-13, 10:57 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Take the tension off the serpentine belt and spin the top idler. Cycle the A/C to verify compressor clutch operation.
Old 08-14-13, 01:06 PM
ItsMiles
Driver

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/w...F442E50D32.mp4

Here's what it sounds like... You might have to turn up the speakers to get a really good listen to the humming...

I'm thinking its coming from the intake... But I might be mistaken... Doesn't seem like it's coming from the serpentine belt... The sounds is coming from somewhere in between the power steering and water pump.. That's my thought...

Last edited by ItsMiles; 08-14-13 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-14-13, 01:38 PM
snoop562
Pole Position

i read a thread where the humming came from the electronics on the throttle body. might be worth taking a look.
Old 08-14-13, 01:45 PM
ItsMiles
Driver

Originally Posted by snoop562
i read a thread where the humming came from the electronics on the throttle body. might be worth taking a look.
You know what, that's another thing I was thinking... Because it does sound like it could also be coming from the plastic intake pipe that connects to the Throttle body...

If it is the electronics on the throttle body, how would I go about checking that? Or repairing that?
Old 08-14-13, 01:55 PM
snoop562
Pole Position

i would have the car in park with the engine running and have someone rev it while your under the hood listening. i think the part was the throttle position sensor and it was on the right side of the throttle body.
Old 08-14-13, 02:49 PM
ItsMiles
Driver

Originally Posted by snoop562
i would have the car in park with the engine running and have someone rev it while your under the hood listening. i think the part was the throttle position sensor and it was on the right side of the throttle body.
Well I I did that in the video... Revving it myself from under the hood, but like I said, I don't think this idea about the TPS being too far off.. That or the Pulley for the AC..
Old 08-14-13, 03:10 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

you can narrow down the possibilities very quickly by simply removing the serpentine belt (a one minute job) and then crank the car and also rev it (this is perfectly safe, you just won't have power steering, alternator charging, A/C, etc.) and then note if the hum goes away

reinstalling the serpentine belt is about a 2 minute job once you get the hang of it, but if you have never done it before, it could take 15
Old 08-14-13, 04:03 PM
ItsMiles
Driver

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
you can narrow down the possibilities very quickly by simply removing the serpentine belt (a one minute job) and then crank the car and also rev it (this is perfectly safe, you just won't have power steering, alternator charging, A/C, etc.) and then note if the hum goes away

reinstalling the serpentine belt is about a 2 minute job once you get the hang of it, but if you have never done it before, it could take 15
So just remove the entire belt?
Old 08-14-13, 05:56 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsMiles
So just remove the entire belt?
yes

if the noise goes away, then it is something the belt was driving - i.e. A/C clutch pulley bearing, power steering, idler, tensioner, alternator, etc.

if the noise is still there with belt off, then you just quickly and easily eliminated all of those items mentioned above!
Old 08-14-13, 06:54 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Sounds like a pulley to me. But hard to hear 100%. Like Cowboy said, take the belt off and listen if you dont hear it. I'm guessing the tensioner pulley, the bearings are a common problem. With the belt off (and car not running) reach in and try to wiggle and spin the pulley, see if it wobbles or makes any type of scraping noise.

Quick Reply: Humming noise on 99 LS400