LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Looking to join the LS400 club!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 05:52 PM
Jmcst22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to join the LS400 club!

Hello,

I am looking into purchasing a 95 LS400 with approximately 180,000 miles on it. This vehicle was corporately owned for the first 9 years and 110,000 miles of its life. I would like to think that this will be indicative of good care being taken of the car from 95-04. To that point, the timing belt was replaced at 70,000 (1999) and has not been since (110,000 miles and 2 owners later). The research that I have done was through a 5 year old thread on here that says this maintenance costs about $1,000-$2000 to be done properly.

Is that cost still fairly accurate?

Would I be a fool to buy this car that I need to immediately replace the timing belt? The salesman seems to think its a $300 job :P

Other than that, he said the power steering fluid is leaking. I remember reading, also on this forum, that is a common issue with these models. There is a bit of rust in seemingly the same small area on each wheel well. Rust is something we deal with here in the Northeast with the weather and all but I wonder when to be concerned. These rust areas are about an inch or so in diameter. The AC is not cool, hes speculates its a leak. My final area of concern is that I may or may not have felt a slight buck when letting off of the accelerator. Being that this cars accelerator was much more difficult to press than my current car, I wasn't sure if I was imagining this. Is there any known issues that present a similar symptom?

This will be my daily driver and I know that these cars are built to last, but given what I have told you does this seem like a doable purchase or should I steer clear? Maybe you need to know what I'm offering or some other information?

Thank you, you guys are the experts and I trust whatever assistance you may provide to me
Old 08-12-13, 06:17 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The timing belt and water pump can be a $300 job if and only you do it yourself. If not the price for labor can jump up very quickly.

It sounds like the car has the normal issues these cars get over the years. Most of them being pretty easy fixes. BUT it really depends on what you are paying for the car. If it is really cheap, then I'd say go for it! But it sounds like its going to need a bit a maintance right off the bat, so I wouldn't pay near kbb value on the car. I would call a couple shops and get estimates on fixing the issues you have noticed and use those quotes to take the price of the car down.

Goodluck!
Old 08-12-13, 06:35 PM
Jmcst22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Dirty Mike, it blue books at 500 more than asking price (fair condition), however Edmunds has it valued about $1,000 less!

Sheesh!
Old 08-12-13, 06:46 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

I'm sure you are aware of how serious rust can be. That will be more pricey than having a timing belt done. I might wait to find one that isn't having rust issues. If you are looking for a cheap LS than maybe go for it if you can get it cheap enough.
Old 08-12-13, 07:13 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I'd look elsewhere. Find one that was better taken care of and has already had the work done to it. Are you paying cash or financing? If cash, go private owner.
Old 08-12-13, 07:51 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

The 95's manufactured during the first few months have a widely known ECU defect which causes that "buck" you felt when letting off of the accelerator. It happens in speeds above 45ish miles an hour, and the way to properly remedy it is to get an ECU (and less importantly a cruise control computer, as recommended by toyota) off of a 95 made later in the year.

I had the exact issue with mine when I first picked it up, as mine was made in October of 94, which makes it one of the first 95s to be built. Swapping the ECU fixed it immediately. It MUST be from a 95, as the 94's and 96's are different enough to simply not work.

I don't have the particular thread bookmarked anymore, but just run a quick search for it and it should be easy to find. The ECU's part number is how you distinguish which ones are which.
Old 08-12-13, 08:36 PM
Jmcst22
Driver School Candidate

Wow tremendous advice, not sure why im surprised! Thanks all!

Edit: paying cash

Last edited by Jmcst22; 08-12-13 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Nunya
Old 08-13-13, 12:41 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Typically, corporately owned cars are driven relatively hard as one would with a rental car. Check out the other LS400s in your area first and see if you can negotiate. The timing belt/water pump will be costly, unless you DIY. Rust is a major no-no and would require a few trips to the body shop to get remedied (which may or may not be fairly costly).
Old 08-13-13, 04:30 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I would also recommend that you look else where... the money/time/work you have to put into this for it to be a reliable and comfortable daily driver would quickly surpass the value of the car. Especially since you don't know the real costs with fixing everything. I would steer you towards a private owner instead of a dealer. They are only there to make money and don't care about the car or what issues it has. They will say what they need to sell the car. Private owner seller is almost always your better route.... good luck.
Old 08-13-13, 07:02 AM
Jmcst22
Driver School Candidate

I called a local Lexus dealer to have a price quote on the timing belt replacement and they have it at $529+tax, which is making decisions more difficult as I thought it would be closer to $1,000.

I will attempt to haggle down on the price since the timing belt MUST be replaced IMMEDIATELY.

I still have concerns about the rust though, going to mull this over a bit more.

BTW, I can't find any other LS400 anywhere near me so that isn't really an option. It's either get this one, or no LS400 for a while.
Old 08-13-13, 07:27 AM
Jmcst22
Driver School Candidate

Back again

http://compare.ebay.com/like/300558513109?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
Does that look like the right ECU? From my research it seems that the critical thing is that it's ECU 50224 ?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...-jerking-thre/

Last edited by Jmcst22; 08-13-13 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Added link for reference
Old 08-13-13, 08:13 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmcst22
Back again

LEXUS LS400 Engine Computer ECU ECM Repair 1995-1997 on eBay!

Does that look like the right ECU? From my research it seems that the critical thing is that it's ECU 50224 ?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...-jerking-thre/
Call the local Lexus dealer and give them your vin number and they will tell you the proper part numbert.Follow it exactly when searching for another ECU to install or have refurbished(preferable).
Old 08-13-13, 09:33 AM
xyzzy_dude
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usoff89
The timing belt and water pump can be a $300 job if and only you do it yourself. If not the price for labor can jump up very quickly.
My last timing belt/water pump job at my very excellent indie Toyota/Lexus mecahnic was about $800.
Old 08-13-13, 10:28 AM
Jmcst22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xyzzy_dude
My last timing belt/water pump job at my very excellent indie Toyota/Lexus mecahnic was about $800.
The quote that I got ($529+tax) was for timing belt only, I believe. No water pump change.
Old 08-13-13, 10:32 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

$530 is pretty cheap for a Lexus dealer... I'm guessing that is belt only... no water pump, no seals, no tensioners and no serpentine belt on the outside. No radiator flush and fill. All things you typically when you do a timing belt as you're already there. Toyota stealership did my parents full service on their 430 and it was $1000.... I'd look at toyota pricing... should be cheaper and may get all the work done.

Quick Reply: Looking to join the LS400 club!