LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help with ABS Wheel Speed Sensor

Old 05-13-14, 02:46 PM
Vruchi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with ABS Wheel Speed Sensor

I have dearched long and hard to no avail. A little help please.

My 1998 LS is no longer my daily driver so there is some significant time between these repairs but about 6 months ago I had a need to change my front right wheel bearing. I bought parts to do both but after I completed the right side I road tested it and had a problem with the ABS kicking in at the very end of my stop - 2 MPH for example. It gave me a VERY slight pull to the left as well but the sound and pedal feeling was definitely the ABS. When I replaced the bearing I also replaced the gear like ring used in the ABS - all Lexus parts.

My diagnostic work included cleaning the sensor and the seating on the hub which didn't work. I then pulled the sensor and, using a flashlight and q-tips, cleaned the ring. There was really nothing to clean but I went tooth by tooth. All signs point to a bad sensor but there was no rust/corrosion when I removed it so it was hard to believe that the sensor had coincidentally failed.

Here's where it gets mysterious for me. After a while I thought that maybe I should check the left wheel to see if there was a spacer or something missing from the right wheel. I removed it, nice and clean like the right side and replaced it and took a road test. Now the ABS kick in is more pronounced and creates no pull to either side.

I just can't believe that both sensors failed when I removed them...it's just a 10mm bolt afterall. I looked for air gap specs but it seems that there isn't any trick to installing the wheel speed sensor - just plug it in.

Any thoughts before I drop $350 on new sensors? Thank you!
Old 05-13-14, 04:32 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

try resetting the ABS by pulling the main fuse in the engine bay fuse box and see if anything improves. i too find it hard to believe both sensors went bad.
Old 05-14-14, 01:07 AM
silos5
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ABS does it too sometimes. I didnt find a solution to this problem. I read somewhere that air in the brakes may cause it, so try bleeding the brake. I did it, but it didnt help. well, may be a little bit.
Old 05-14-14, 09:12 AM
Vruchi
Driver School Candidate

Default Solved!

Well, it's hard to admit this but maybe it will help someone else. I pulled the fuse - nothing. Pulled the negative battery cable - nothing. So I decided to retrace my steps and clean the seating again. Just on a whim I thought I would add the slightest touch of lithium grease to the Speed Sensor gasket. That seemed to do the trick. When I reinserted the sensors they kinda clicked into place firmly. I suppose that the dry (not cracked) gasket just needed a touch of lube to get fully seated. In any case, problem solved - $0. The best solution.
Old 06-11-14, 10:00 AM
ChileDawg
Driver School Candidate

I had this very same problem after having a bearing replaced on my 2000 LS 400. I had removed the hub and taken it to a local mechanic to press out the old bearing and press in the new one. After re-assembly at approx. 5mph as I slowed in the braking process, the ABS motor would engage. I was pretty sure it had nothing to do with bleeding the lines because the system had never been opened.

After a couple of hours of consternation and trouble-shooting I figured out what the problem was. It seems that the ABS sensor is so simple to install that you can't do it improperly. Not true ... at least in my case. I took it apart twice trouble shooting and put it back together - no workie. On the 3rd time I got under the car so I could see the "seat" of the sensor. Well ... because of the o-ring on the sensor you have to work it / twist it in to place to get it to seat properly. If you just blindly put the sensor in the sleeve and push it in then tighten down the mounting bolt, it probably won't seat properly. This was enough to have the ABS mal-function !! Glad to have that one figured out!

Last edited by ChileDawg; 06-11-14 at 12:21 PM. Reason: solved the problem i posted about and wanted to share the solution
Old 02-21-23, 10:09 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m having similar problems with my 99 Ls400 after having removed the front driver side wheel speed sensor as I had to replace my struts and control arm. I will try to see if this resolved the problem.
Old 02-22-23, 12:51 AM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This resolved my problem with VSC engaging!