LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Something that I have Noticed: Stock vs Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-13, 02:47 PM
ItsMiles
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something that I have Noticed: Stock vs Mod

Something that I have noticed on the LS forums is that the general population prefers keeping the LS stock... Not so many modify their LS. Well this is definitely true in the later models. Now I know keeping the car stock retains that amazing ride quality, but to the people who have modified their suspension, ucf20/21 owners' input greatly appreciated here, have you noticed a big difference between ride quality? And what is the general consensus on modifying "too much"?
Old 08-01-13, 05:23 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I don't think you are going to find anything like a "general consensus". From my personal experience, even a "plus zero" tire size change (e.g. 205/65-15 to 225-60-15) dramatically and negatively effects ride quality.
Old 08-01-13, 06:55 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Modifying cars is quite simple. I feel that it is done because the owner is going after a certain look. What it takes to achieve that look is up to the owner. Things like ride quality and such will be overlooked if the finished concept is for it to be really wild and low.

If you just want a subtle lowering or something, the car won't change drastically, but like Kaiyin said, even little changes such as tires can drastically change the ride.

Coming from my past cars, proper dampening and mating of springs and shocks, ride height, tire/rim diameter all play a role in how the car will feel.

Go ride in some ls400s that have been lowered, California has quiet a few, see what you think.

But to me, if you want it to look like a certain way bad enough, you will do what it takes to get it there, and disregard the change in ride quality.
Old 08-01-13, 08:48 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

it's fine to mod a $2000 LS400 beater with 300K miles, but what some have done to beautiful pristine examples, well it's almost criminal!
Old 08-01-13, 09:50 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
it's fine to mod a $2000 LS400 beater with 300K miles, but what some have done to beautiful pristine examples, well it's almost criminal!
My 2000$ LS has a trailer hitch now. Haha. And its been taken better care of in my hands.
Old 08-01-13, 09:54 PM
ItsMiles
Driver

Thanks for the great responses. I feel the same. Once I felt the difference between my LS and all the other heavily modded cars I've owned I honestly had a sigh of relief and told myself, "this is what I've been missing." But yes I do want to lower my car a bit, and I am ready to face the decrease in ride quality. Not planning to do anything crazy here but glad to hear some responses.
Old 08-02-13, 07:03 AM
JSC4
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I got BC racing coilovers extreme low kit revalve to F:18k R:16k and its bumpy than stock (obviously lol) but in highway when the road is good, it rides smooth. (damn Canada roads!)
Old 08-02-13, 08:46 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I rode stock height for 6 months and I deffinetly enjoyed the plushness of this car and 60 series tires. Even now sitting this low it's obviously more harsh but I think the chassis soaks it up very good when compared to other lowered platforms.

I previously had a heavily modified 01' Avalon on JIC coils which rode like s*** when I canned it. At stock height it was nice but not even close to an LS.
Old 08-03-13, 07:38 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is pretty darn low IMO. I'm running some of the cheaper coilovers (megans) and it surprises everybody how smooth and comfortable it rides. People that look at the car think it rides like crap and is bumpy, but when they go for a ride it changes there opinion real quick.

I'm not saying it's not stiffer than stock, but for how low the car is it rides great. BUT at the same time I'm sure I overlook a few things because I love the car and the way it looks.

LScowboyLS - This hurt my feelings..... Mine only has about 135k, and I think I improved the car.
Old 08-03-13, 12:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
that's what I did. I modded a mostly mind '99.

I love these cars, but they aren't some rare exotic or limited edition special. There are more than enough examples in existence to make me have no qualms about modifying an LS400.
Old 08-03-13, 01:46 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

J/K PD, just wanted a reason to use that smiley. lol.
Old 08-03-13, 03:44 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Posted this in Car Chat yesterday. See what some of these Japanese auto people do. From faithful restoration to modified. I wish there was a Toyota guy stateside like Yoshiya Watanabe and what does to the Nissans. Maybe shipping my RA42 Celica back to the homeland for some mods by one of these craftsmen would be a dream.

Last edited by RA40; 08-03-13 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-04-13, 09:26 AM
ItsMiles
Driver

I will be going with Megan streets as well... Definitely by looking to spend too much on dropping the car. Especially since all I'm looking for is the aesthetics and ride quality. Megans on my SC were actually pretty soft when I wanted them to be so I figured they'd be the same on the LS.
Old 08-04-13, 09:28 AM
ItsMiles
Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
Posted this in Car Chat yesterday. See what some of these Japanese auto people do. From faithful restoration to modified. I wish there was a Toyota guy stateside like Yoshiya Watanabe and what does to the Nissans. Maybe shipping my RA42 Celica back to the homeland for some mods by one of these craftsmen would be a dream.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouhdGnH1QmA
I love this video... I know it's off topic, but I absolutely love old school Japanese cars... I actually used to be a photographer for Japanese Nostalgic Car Magazine. I still own a RA22 as my project car.
Old 08-05-13, 01:44 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

miles, if you used to be a photographer for JNCM then you must know tony (fender rolling guy).

back on topic, of course lowering the car would increase the stiffness but a car this plush and heavy, it almost calls for a higher spring rate to compensate it all. even then the car, to me, is still controlled and very much daily drivable (dare i say, even with a baby on board)! then again i'm on aftermarket air suspension, and my other car is my race car with full stiff suspension and bucket seats; the complete opposite of the LS.

Quick Reply: Something that I have Noticed: Stock vs Mod