LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HELP! body work guys! LS400 MAJOR quarter panel damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-13, 09:19 PM
Upscale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! body work guys! LS400 MAJOR quarter panel damage

Earlier today my girlfriend totally ****ed me and my car. I drift the car on the right in the picture so I'm not new to body damage but man this is messing with my head a bit.

We were on the interstate today with slick roads, mashed the brakes, the big body to away from her, spun out, tagged the pass. headlight area then bounced off and slammed the pass. QP.

No one else was involved in the accident so that leaves me screwed in totaling the car out. And I ****ed myself by not getting full coverage on it right away. I bought the car for $4600 not even a MONTH ago and now this once super clean low mileage LS now looks like ****. I love this car but man, is it worth fixing on my own dime? I can do most of the cutting and bagging out my self but damn this looks like a LOT of work. I'll probably have to replace the entire quarter panel.

What do you value this repair cost at? and would you attempt to fix it?

Last edited by Upscale; 07-27-13 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-28-13, 03:11 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

$5 says there's frame damage, tweaked the whole car methinks.

Sadly, while a (really) good bodyshop can fix it, if you're paying out of hand I think you're screwed. It will cost more to fix than what you paid for it.
Old 07-28-13, 06:23 AM
Upscale
Driver School Candidate

All of the doors open and close with out a problem and I don't see any buckling besides for in that QP but I guess it doesn't matter.

I could fix it myself but with amount of time it would take and the spare time I have I'll never get it done.
Old 07-28-13, 06:51 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Ouch. First off, does the girlfriend have full (collision) coverage on whatever car she drives? If so, it would cover her in your car. If not, then it would only be proper for her to help you fix it. Girlfriend or not, if she has some sense of responsibility it would be the right thing to do.

You said she "tagged the pass in the headlight area." There is front end damage as well? Considering that you own the car already and do love it I would go for fixing it. It sounds like you got a good deal on her. As long as the frame is not bent you can work on getting the parts yourself from salvage yards and then have a shop do the work.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-28-13 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-28-13, 07:54 AM
Upscale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Ouch. First off, does the girlfriend have full (collision) coverage on whatever car she drives? If so, it would cover her in your car. If not, then it would only be proper for her to help you fix it. Girlfriend or not, if she has some sense of responsibility it would be the right thing to do.

You said she "tagged the pass in the headlight area." There is front end damage as well? Considering that you own the car already and do love it I would go for fixing it. It sounds like you got a good deal on her. As long as the frame is not bent you can work on getting the parts yourself from salvage yards and then have a shop do the work.
She does have full coverage on her car but she already totaled out one car and claiming this on her insurance, they'll probably drop her. We have a little boy on the way and he'll be here in 3 months so getting this sorted before them is essential. So from what it seems is that claiming it on her insurance might the way to go to getting this fixed promptly.

There is damage to the front as well. The head light, corner light, bumper, fender, and possibly the hood will have to be replaced.
Old 07-28-13, 08:01 AM
Upscale
Driver School Candidate

Here is the front end damage.

This is the car before yesterday.
Old 07-28-13, 08:08 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

That's a tough decision to make. Her premiums will go up that is for sure and they will stay up for a while. If you get all the parts yourself you are probably looking between 3 - 5 grand. Whatever you decide, it might be a good idea to have her take a defensive driving course. Congratulations on your baby.
Old 07-28-13, 08:46 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

WTF?!? Theres no reason to have a one person accident unless you cant drive. Thats a lot of damage

Looks like "Drifting damage", but I'll go along with the grilfriend theme. Seems to be popular on CL (carnage in the GS section) today.

anywayz, teach her how to drive (or Drift ) a car if she's gonna be totting your new (congrats!) kid around town.

oh, about the car....Plasma cutter and a good welder
Old 07-28-13, 09:33 AM
Upscale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DriftGirl
WTF?!? Theres no reason to have a one person accident unless you cant drive. Thats a lot of damage

Looks like "Drifting damage", but I'll go along with the grilfriend theme. Seems to be popular on CL (carnage in the GS section) today.

anywayz, teach her how to drive (or Drift ) a car if she's gonna be totting your new (congrats!) kid around town.

oh, about the car....Plasma cutter and a good welder
I do and did not drift this car. That's what I have a designated drift car for.

Yes, my opinion is the same. She can not drive. She drives small sports cars. Sports cars are very different from this big body. The shear size of the car needs to be taken into consideration. She simply did not know what to do when this car went out of control.

I will have to gather all of my resources to get this thing back to where it was. If that's even possible.
Old 07-28-13, 09:38 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

she already totaled one car, then cracked up your new car? she needs to have her keys taken away.
Old 07-28-13, 09:41 AM
Upscale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
That's a tough decision to make. Her premiums will go up that is for sure and they will stay up for a while. If you get all the parts yourself you are probably looking between 3 - 5 grand. Whatever you decide, it might be a good idea to have her take a defensive driving course. Congratulations on your baby.
Well, for sure she will not be driving any of my cars ever again. I'll have her contact her insurance company Monday and we'll get this sorted out. I'm unsure if we'll have to have a police report or not.

Man this bloowwss
Old 07-28-13, 09:44 AM
Upscale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mspearl95
she already totaled one car, then cracked up your new car? she needs to have her keys taken away.
I feel you, brother. Action need to be taken to insure that she is a safer driver for sure.
Old 07-28-13, 09:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale
Well, for sure she will not be driving any of my cars ever again. I'll have her contact her insurance company Monday and we'll get this sorted out. I'm unsure if we'll have to have a police report or not.

Man this bloowwss
Doesn't this claim come under your insurance because it's your car?

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-28-13 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-28-13, 09:50 AM
Upscale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Doesn't a claim come under your insurance because it's your car?
The claim will come out of the drivers insurance.
Old 07-28-13, 09:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale
The claim will come out of the drivers insurance.
I don't believe that's the case in NJ.
Your car,your insurance no matter who was driving.Now with injuries,it may be different.
May be a state thing.

Quick Reply: HELP! body work guys! LS400 MAJOR quarter panel damage