LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Couple of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-13, 06:02 AM
Yoshiii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Couple of questions...

Hello I have some small things with my Lexus LS400 from 1995. Maybe some people can tell me what the problem might be..

1. Sometimes, when i drive slowly (or in reverse while im parking) and i press the break i hear a short loud sound. It doesn't happen all the times or i don't notice it, but i have noticed in sometimes, usually when parking.

2. When i release the break very slow you hear a crunching noise, becuase the engine is pushing and the breaks are not full released. I heard this is normal but sometimes it doesn't really sound good. All breaks are replaced recently.

3. When i start the car after it has been standing still for a while, i hear noises and cracking from the right rear. I think it has something to do with the suspension, because after 30 seconds or so it stops.

4. My power steering fluid is leaking. I filled it like a month ago and now it is empty again.

Old 07-19-13, 10:33 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshiii
4. My power steering fluid is leaking. I filled it like a month ago and now it is empty again.

fix this very soon or you will have issue #5. Dead alternator

I would start with the high-pressure hose, that is the most likely source of the leak on a 95

part number is 44410-50040 - an expensive part, probably best idea is to take it to one of those hose rebuilding places near most any small airport

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 07-19-13 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-19-13, 10:41 AM
Yoshiii
Driver School Candidate

Really? I don't want a dead alternator better fix this soon then. thanks for looking up the part number.
Old 07-19-13, 10:53 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I don't know if this company's version of that hose fits well or not, haven't tried them, but they sure have a nice picture of the part!
Old 07-19-13, 11:30 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

on my old 97, I used Omega 31023 Power Steering Pressure Hose from ebay,, perfect fit 68 bucks free shipping

ON YOUR NOISE: check and lube your caliper guide pins to start with..
Old 07-19-13, 11:57 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Is the brake noise a loud clunk when you release the pedal? If so check your carrier arm bushings. Sounds weird b/c that has nothing to do with brakes but that's what mine was and there's some other posts about that. Check the valve on bottom of your PS pump for the leak. That is what will kill the alternator, fast.
Old 07-19-13, 12:29 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by billydpowe
on my old 97, I used Omega 31023 Power Steering Pressure Hose from ebay,, perfect fit 68 bucks free shipping
wow! - thanks Billy! - you just saved me some big bucks!
Old 07-19-13, 02:55 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

For the sake of #1-2:

Break- to separate into pieces suddenly or violently.
Brake- device for slowing or stopping motion.

What service did they perform when they were serviced? Make sure the shims were installed, these reduce vibration of the pads that usually cause squealing on light brake pedal pressure. If it is grinding noises, check the pads for wear or other damage.

#4. Get that fixed soon, as Cowboy mentioned, the alternator is right below it. Power steering fluid does not mix well with the alternator ad will kill it.
Old 07-19-13, 03:36 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

2. When i release the break very slow you hear a crunching noise, becuase the engine is pushing and the breaks are not full released. I heard this is normal but sometimes it doesn't really sound good. All breaks are replaced recently.
this is common on many cars, not just LS400, your pads and rotors are glazed - it is not a safety concern, more of an annoyance, much like squealing is

this is not squealing though, and the answer is not new shims, but rather, your need to clean your rotors with a strong solvent such as carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner, and you need to remove and rough up the pads with a file or a course grit sandpaper
Old 07-22-13, 02:40 AM
Yoshiii
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the answers I will check out the power steering problem first!
Old 08-08-13, 01:12 PM
Yoshiii
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

So i cleaned everything around the power steering because there was a lot of oil everywhere so it is difficult to find the leak. The first thing i replaced the rings and now i drove a couple of days to see where the leeking is but it is still clean.

However, the steering has become harder. Any idea why? Maybe because the rings i have used are a little tighter so there is less oil??
Old 08-08-13, 02:55 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

what kind of "power steering fluid" did you add??
Old 08-08-13, 03:15 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

On my 95, the hoses were totally fine but the pump itself was leaking. If that's the case it is not terribly expensive to get rebuilt.
Old 08-09-13, 04:43 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I guess each car is different... on my 95, the pump was fine, but the high pressure hose was leaking... and that's a great price/deal on the ebay hose for sure... I pad about $70 to get mine rebuilt... great find and thanks for sharing.
Old 08-12-13, 05:05 AM
Yoshiii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
what kind of "power steering fluid" did you add??
uuuuh ATF i thought dexron 2.

i now notice a little sweating. lets see after a week if there are drops of oil then it isn't good....

Quick Reply: Couple of questions...