LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Please Help ! 1996 Lexus LS400 won't reverse !

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 10:42 AM
Igotkicks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help ! 1996 Lexus LS400 won't reverse !

Hey guys here I have a 1996 Lexus LS400 , it was originally my mother's car but she gave it to me since i'm 15 and will be getting my driver's license soon. The Lexus drives very smooth on the road and overall is a good car, but one major problem that it has is that won't reverse. The piece that I am holding in my hand is the stick for the transmission fluid. When I first reached down to check it, it felt very loose and then I noticed it was completely disconnected for some reason. One guy told me that there was no transmission fluid in it so i'm thinking that has something to do with it. I need help on how to go about getting it looked at and fixed, around how much do you guys think this would cost? Do I need a whole new transmission? Could it just be not reversing because there is no transmission fluid? All help is appreciated .
Attached Thumbnails Please Help ! 1996 Lexus LS400 won't reverse !-photo-2-.jpg   Please Help ! 1996 Lexus LS400 won't reverse !-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Igotkicks; 07-18-13 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-18-13, 10:58 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Igotkicks
I need help on how to go about getting it looked at and fixed, around how much do you guys think this would cost?.
Hopefully just the cost of a few quarts of Toyota T-IV transmission fluid at the dealership (about $5 or $6 per quart)

Do I need a whole new transmission? .
probably not

Could it just be not reversing because there is no transmission fluid?
Yes!

while you are at the dealership, pick up a drain bolt & gasket, perhaps even a couple of each
you will need this when you don't add the fluid slow enough and have to start over when it is overfilled

do not drive the car any more until the fluid is at the correct level on the "cold" mark on the dipstick - then drive the car for a while and adjust until correct at the hot level
you also need a funnel because you add the fluid where the dipstick goes - yes, into that small hole

try to keep everything very clean, transmissions do not like used dirty funnels or dirt or debris accidentally falling into the hole

add the fluid at a rate of 1/4 quart at a time and then recheck level on the dipstick, this will take a lot of rechecking the stick to do correctly!

If you are careful and patient, you can do this yourself and probably spend less than $30-$40

also there is no reason to buy this fluid at a Lexus dealership - they will overcharge you - go to the local Toyota dealership

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 07-18-13 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-18-13, 11:01 AM
Igotkicks
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help, now all I need to do is find someone who knows how to fix the disconnected thing that holds the transmission fluid .
Old 07-18-13, 11:11 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Igotkicks
Thanks for the help, now all I need to do is find someone who knows how to fix the disconnected thing that holds the transmission fluid .
please describe this "disconnected thing"

and refresh the page as I added some to my earlier answer
Old 07-18-13, 11:33 AM
Igotkicks
Driver School Candidate

Here is the disconnected piece I was talking about , as soon as I get this put in place i should be able to do everything you told me.
Attached Thumbnails Please Help ! 1996 Lexus LS400 won't reverse !-photo.jpg  
Old 07-18-13, 11:35 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

the other half of the dipstick goes into the side of the transmission pan. hopefully that metal portion has not broken off and is in your hand in that picture. if it broke there could be a hole on the side of the pan! get under the car if you can and inspect the transmission pan.

take a pic of the other end of the dipstick. maybe we can see if the metal portion is still attached or not.
Old 07-18-13, 11:49 AM
Igotkicks
Driver School Candidate

Is this the metal portion you were talking about? the dipstick was inside of this in the other picture because the whole thing is disconnected, and I've never really looked at a car before so when I look under it what am I looking for?
Attached Thumbnails Please Help ! 1996 Lexus LS400 won't reverse !-photo.jpg  
Old 07-18-13, 12:11 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

yes, you need to find the rest of the dipstick and make sure the dipstick tube is attached correctly

you also need to figure out where the leak was, these cars do not "burn" any fluid like a car burns oil, so investigate how the fluid went missing

the dealership has replacement dipstick, dipstick tube etc. - you will have to go to a real Lexus dealership for those parts, not Toyota, or you can order online from Sewell Lexus, Park Place lexus. South Atlanta Lexus, etc.
Old 07-18-13, 12:14 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

the item by your thumb is the dipstick tube, it looks like it may be intact, just needs cleaned on the outside and a new o-ring attached and reinstalled - just be very careful about any dirt or debris falling into the hole in the transmission where it goes - treat a transmission with hospital sterility!

I will find you the part number for the black rubber o-ring
Old 07-18-13, 12:17 PM
Igotkicks
Driver School Candidate

Alright , and I can't find the hole where that dipstick tube goes into so it's just laying on the engine cover and I closed the hood , where do I put it or should I just let someone else do it?
Old 07-18-13, 12:21 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

o-ring part number 90301-09011 (about $3)

you also probably need the bolt to mount it
bolt is part number 91611-60814 (about $1)

you can click on this diagram to make it larger

Please Help ! 1996 Lexus LS400 won't reverse !-rciivas.jpg
Old 07-18-13, 12:32 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

the dipstick tube in your hand fits into the lower dipstick tube which is likely still attached to the transmission, refer to the diagram, use a new o-ring, clean everything well (but do not use water!) and lubricate new o-ring with tranny fluid before installing

from your pics the upper dipstick tube and dipstick look to be intact, sounds like all you may need is an o-ring, a bolt, and some T-IV fluid to fix this yourself!
Old 07-18-13, 01:00 PM
Igotkicks
Driver School Candidate

Alright thanks so much for the help man, and how do I clean everything with just an old rag? And just to be safe can you click on these links and tell me if I have the right parts ? http://www.midatlantictoyotaparts.co...ng/90301-09011
http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...611-60814.html
Old 07-18-13, 01:26 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

yeah, those are the right parts, although they are so cheap it would pay to buy them locally, no shipping if you have a Lexus dealer nearby, they might even be at the local Toyota dealer, either type of dealership can order them for you if not in stock

I cannot vouch for Mid Atlantic Toyota parts, so maybe if not the local dealership, then get both parts from Lexus Parts Now

use Brakleen to clean everything (at any auto parts store)
Old 07-18-13, 01:53 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

you need some good auto ramps and wheel chocks at the auto parts store or borrowed from a friend, pull the car up on them, put it in park, emergency brake on, rear wheels chocked, and then get under there wearing your head lamp and verify that the lower dipstick tube shown in the diagram is not missing, loose, leaking, etc. - it is attached down near the front of the transmission pan, as shown in the photo and will be receiving the upper dipstick tube in your hand with the new o-ring installed

Quick Reply: Please Help ! 1996 Lexus LS400 won't reverse !