LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

changing stock air shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 04:46 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts
Default changing stock air shocks

I had a front shock blow out just sitting in my driveway. Went out the other day and the left front was sitting down ON the tire. I thought it would inflate when I started the car like the back did whenever that went down. But, it just dripped out grease. I've searched for a few days and I can't find one used air shock.
Anyway, I have a question about the conversion kits that are out there. Can I do the conversion on just the front for now? (Until I can afford the back) Will the back still fill with air? What do I do with the front air lines? I dont care about the lights coming on the dash, that wont bother me. I just need to be able to drive the car.
Old 07-18-13, 09:58 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i believe you cannot do the front only without the rear unless you plug the front air lines. plugging them closed may be harder than it seems. what conversion kit are you talking about? all you do is buy shock/springs from a non-air suspension equipped car and install.
Old 07-18-13, 10:14 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The LS430 crowd may have additional insights:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ion-infos.html
Old 07-18-13, 03:20 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
plug the front air lines. what conversion kit are you talking about?
I haven't taken the lines off yet but was wondering if they are like, ya know, an air hose where it has to be pushed in for air to come out.

I can't post the link for the kit but it's on ebay, item # 190826690648 It says all the years but then "except for auto leveling". But if ya unhook the sensors, wouldn't that be ok?
I'm just looking for the very CHEAPest fix right now, even if it's only good for a month or so.
Old 07-18-13, 04:04 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

reference:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ir-struts.html

the air hose is an actual fitting with a hardline attached to it, much like a brakeline. if you have a true leak the cheapest fix would be to find the leak and try to remedy it rather than convert to traditional spring/shocks. if you have grease leaking, it may be the shock itself and not the bellow (bag).
Old 07-18-13, 04:30 PM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would got to a junk yard/pick n pull and grab some used shocks. Grab the whole assembly from mount to shock and swap it over. If that's not your bag I think siensen or some company with a similar name makes ultra cheapies for like 200$ for all four corners.
Old 07-19-13, 07:00 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Hey timmy, thanks for that reference. I have the manual but pics and first hand experience is always better. The day this happened, when the car was running, I heard air spraying out and saw grease on the ground. It was real thin, like oil. This air susp sucks, no junkyard around here can even find one of these shocks. If I do convert it, can I just cap the air lines? Will that mess up the susp ECU? I'm trying to get all the info I can b/c the place I'm staying doesn't allow ya to work on vehicles so I'd have to do it all real quick and in one shot.
Thanks for the help.
Old 07-19-13, 09:35 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Check out this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...onversion.html
Old 07-19-13, 11:42 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Thanks but that's just about bump stops and stuff.
I just need to know if I can convert JUST the front and what to do with the air lines. I've been searching and reading for a couple days and haven't found my answers. I'm laid off again so I got time to look and read but I hate not having a car to drive. I wish I had more cash flow so I wouldn't have to worry about any of this. Something always breaks at the worst possible time for me.
Thanks again for the help. Any and ALL is appreciated.
Old 07-19-13, 11:51 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
Thanks but that's just about bump stops and stuff.
I just need to know if I can convert JUST the front and what to do with the air lines. I've been searching and reading for a couple days and haven't found my answers. I'm laid off again so I got time to look and read but I hate not having a car to drive. I wish I had more cash flow so I wouldn't have to worry about any of this. Something always breaks at the worst possible time for me.
Thanks again for the help. Any and ALL is appreciated.
I think it is possible but not advisable. I have never heard of anyone converting just the front. Coilovers may be a good way to go too. Try searching: http://car-part.com/
Old 07-20-13, 07:25 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Yea, car-part.com is always the first choice. A few postings for shocks. I called and none are air.
I was thinking, can I just pull the fuse for the suspension b/c the backs are already filled with air.
Would the shocks release air out the release valve if the fuse is out? Wouldn't want that to happen. Whatever I do, it wont be done til next week so I'm just trying to get whatever info I can. I'm being a sponge, absorb everything.
Old 07-20-13, 03:23 PM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you pull the fuse the rears will stay inflated as long as they can hold the air. However I would suggest that since the front has gone the rear is likely close behind. The rear likely leaks also, just at a much slower rate. With the system engaged it is able to compensate and re fill the bags as needed. Once you pull the fuse I wouldn't expect more than a few days of inflation.
Old 07-21-13, 05:48 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

I always said once 1 goes I would convert the whole system. But, the cash isn't there now. My budget is only a couple hundred, so that's either 1 air or just front conversion. The car has been sitting for a week and the backs are still the same height so I don't think they leak. That's not to say that they wont in the future.
Thanks for the input.
Old 08-06-13, 03:32 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Well, I think I got my info I needed. I called the dealer and they said they always do all 4 corners, not just the front. But, he said just fronts can be done but the ***-end will want to kick out b/c its on air. What?? Whatever, see what happens. As for the front air lines, I was told to just unplug the sensors. Shocks are coming in Thurs. so I should be putting them in this weekend. $177 shipped for the front 2. That's half of 1 used air shock on ebay so I think I found my CHEAPest way.
I called some of the biggest junkyards in the US and found nothing. I want to eventually go all airless anyway.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 08-06-13, 04:24 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

In my humble opinion, the early air suspension on the LS400 was not a good plan.

Quick Reply: changing stock air shocks