LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Buying a '98 some issues

Old 07-15-13, 06:55 PM
LexusLexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a '98 some issues

LScowboyLS,
I am currently looking to buy a 98 LS with 180k miles. I was told that it was serviced at Lexus and that the current (2nd) owner is still friends with the former (1st) owner, so at least in theory this car has a known history. I am told by the current owner that per the dealer the catalytic converter needs to be replaced at a cost of approx $800. Also, that even though the battery is brand new, the car does not start except if it is jumped and let to charge for at least 15 minutes. After starting though it will stay running until it is turned off and then it does not start again. Also, the driver window does not go up. After reading this truly incredible thread (my sincere thanks, even though I don't own one yet), I am left wondering how can I tell if the problems and solutions you are describing are what is ailing this LS as well? How can I check before committing? is the trick with the multimeter that Yamae described a good enough method? Any other pointers, caveats or gotchas you care to share?

Please know that I am grateful for the knowledge you have already shared along with Yamae. It is a great gift to see crowd sourcing at such admirable level.
Old 07-15-13, 07:39 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

none of these issues are ECU related

per the dealer the catalytic converter needs to be replaced at a cost of approx $800
those typically do NOT go bad with only 180k

Also, that even though the battery is brand new, the car does not start except if it is jumped and let to charge for at least 15 minutes. After starting though it will stay running until it is turned off and then it does not start again
likely needs both another battery and an alternator and fixing the power steering leaks that killed the alternator

Also, the driver window does not go up.
also not a typical problem for this model at this mileage

I think I would find a 98-2000 in better shape, this one has had a hard life, I would find a different one unless the cosmetic condition is incredible and it is at the silly price ($4000 or less)
Old 07-15-13, 07:58 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

As far as cats go, I had to replace mine with only 68k. Not sure if they were defective or other circumstances led to their failure. Running low octane fuel and letting the car idle for long periods of time can lead to premature cat failure. No need to replace with OEM cat's as they are insanely expensive. You can get aftermarket for much cheaper. Just make sure they have the correct rated loads for your LS400. You can't buy just any cat but if you get the right ones then you will be fine. it is recommended to replace both at the same time.
Old 07-16-13, 06:39 AM
LexusLexi
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=You can't buy just any cat but if you get the right ones then you will be fine. [/QUOTE]

Any suggestions or recommendations?
Old 07-16-13, 08:11 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLexi
Any suggestions or recommendations?
Check RockAuto and Google Shopping. And see my thread below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...r-lessons.html

http://www.magnaflow.com/02converters.asp

Amazon.com: Magnaflow 99004HM Universal Catalytic Converter (Non CARB compliant): Automotive Amazon.com: Magnaflow 99004HM Universal Catalytic Converter (Non CARB compliant): Automotive

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-16-13 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-16-13, 04:07 PM
LexusLexi
Driver School Candidate

Default update

So here is an update after driving the 98 LS:
It seems that it needs: brakes, tires, cat converters, battery, alternator, power steering pump (the alt dies bc power steering pump must be leaking -- thx LScowboyLS) . Also, the drvr side headlight is foggy & the fog light is missing, meaning the car had an accident in the front drivers side. Also, after I drove it a bit hard, it was steaming coolant from the front right side under the hood. However the transmission was running well and the motor made no weird clicking or hissing sounds. The frame felt solid as well. It did not track perfectly though: there is a very VERY slight pull to the left (same side as the possible accident) that is consistent, not changing with acceleration or breaking. Do the resident experts think its worth getting and at what price? How much do you estimate these repairs to run up to?
Thanks
Old 07-16-13, 04:38 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like you would just buy a giant headache and money pit. These are very reliable, however the repairs and parts are not exactly cheap. With all those issues I would really question how much maintenance was actually performed on that car. Once you buy the car you may also discover other problems the car has that you didn't notice on the drive. I would guess you already have stated well over $1,000 worth of problems if you fix it yourself and much much more if you pay somebody. Who knows how much time it will take to correct all of these issues as well. Just my opinion though.

I would keep searching and spend a little more money up front on a car with less issues.
Old 07-16-13, 04:40 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

$200. But best thing is to run far away from this. Or have him pay you to take it off his hands.
Old 07-16-13, 04:44 PM
door331
Rookie

I am relatively new to the LS400 market but from the host of problems I would recommend passing on this one.

98-00 usually run between $8-10k in my area but typically have around 90-130k mi. It is already high mileage for a 98 so the price would be on the lower end of the spectrum to start. My guess? $6k

With the list of repairs though you would really need to get it for less.

Alternator + PSPump - $600 + installation
Cat - $250 (non OEM)
Battery - $90
Brakes - $100 for pads + installation and other hardware

keep in mind i priced some of these online and they will be more expensive at a dealer.

Last edited by door331; 07-16-13 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-16-13, 04:55 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by door331
I am relatively new to the LS400 market but from the host of problems I would recommend passing on this one.

98-00 usually run between $8-10k in my area but typically have around 90-130k mi. It is already high mileage for a 98 so the price would be on the lower end of the spectrum to start. My guess? $6k

With the list of repairs though you would really need to get it for less.

Alternator + PSPump - $600 + installation
Cat - $250 (non OEM)
Battery - $90
Brakes - $100 for pads + installation and other hardware

keep in mind i priced some of these online and they will be more expensive at a dealer.
Don't forget about the car at least needs an alignment, a repair to the drivers window and a repair to something in the coolant system.

I would run from that deal, run as far away as possible. Unless of course you want a major project to work on with enough funds to do it.
Old 07-16-13, 05:05 PM
door331
Rookie

Oh yeah forgot about the window! I did not mean for my list to be definitive. Just a few of the things I knew the prices of off the top of my head.
Old 07-16-13, 05:09 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by door331
Oh yeah forgot about the window! I did not mean for my list to be definitive. Just a few of the things I knew the prices of off the top of my head.
That's how you should be thinking about this car. You should add up all the things that you know are wrong with it. I would definitely say that you would find several more problems with this car after the purchase. I would say this is a very neglected car, it should not have anything close to this many problems.
Old 07-16-13, 05:38 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I would keep searching and spend a little more money up front on a car with less issues
+1 This.

You should add up all the things that you know are wrong with it.
not to mention all of things you don't know that are wrong with it!
Old 07-16-13, 08:48 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Sounds like a very poorly maintained car.
Old 07-17-13, 06:20 AM
LexusLexi
Driver School Candidate

Sincere Thanks to all the members who read, commented and shared their opinion. It is great to feel so welcome so quickly.

I do agree with all of you and my gut feeling as well is that this is a poorly maintained car. However, at what price this becomes a good deal? I believe I can get this car for $1,000. After that it is either
A. spend 1-2k to get it fixed and enjoy, OR
B. get a $1000 money pit with no bottom
Based on what I have read so far about the experiences and raving comments of all Lexus owners regarding reliability and build quality, A seems quite likely. Does anyone agree? Or am I beating a dead horse at this point?
Thx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a '98 some issues