LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lexus issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-13, 06:35 PM
djbrown01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll tell you what the issue is.. it's people immediately jumping to the ECU when that isn't the only issue the car ever has.. Sometimes sensors fail, relays don't function correctly, wiring fails due to age. It can be any number of issues and it doesn't always come down to the ECU.. I've opened up two of these computers myself, both were 18 years old now and both were in perfect shape, no leaking caps, and both were rebuilt with the correct parts and this solved nothing on two separate occasions with two different issues.. The first was a random misfire problem that LScowboy thought could be nothing other than the ECU, so i thought the people on here knew what they were talking about so I had the ECU rebuilt in the car and it solved nothing.. So now this next time they tell me that this problem is probably the ECU again so instead of rebuilding I get a reman, car does the same thing so it must still be the ECU.. This guy does not know what he's talking about, yes I'm a tiny bit upset, this is supposed to be a site of enthusiasts, who have experience fixing these cars, and would lead me down the right path, but no it's all the same regurgitated nonsense that solves nothing. Quotes from threads past, like this is the only issue with these cars.. I fixed mine myself, no thanks to LScowboy, and it took me an extra 10 days because instead of doing what I know how to do and work the problem, I take advice of a so called expert who volunteers their time so they told me..

So rightly so I'm a little upset, because after getting a reman ECU and being told that was bad because it wasn't rebuilt properly, and I should still send me other one to him for a rebuild at 219 dollars and get it back after another week and the car would be doing the same thing.. I stopped listening to the people on here who should just take their cars to the mechanics and stop giving advice and figured it out on my own..

Thank you all, have a nice day.. Any issues with your car PM me, I'll work the issue with you and not immediately tell you it is the ECU, we will test some things with a basic multimeter, check voltages and resistance, look for codes, broken or bad wiring, bad grounds, and not throw ECU rebuilds and various other parts at a problem which can't always be ECU related
Old 07-21-13, 06:40 PM
djbrown01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GRRRR Cowboy you just don't get it, the caps are six months old and they are dying already? Maybe another 15 or 20 years sure.. Maybe they do all fail eventually but some of us won't live that long, so before you try to chime in with just replace the ECU it will fix everything, IT DOESN"T!!!! Tires are wearing funny it must be the ECU, pad warning light is on the dash, must the ECU, The lights don't work in my climate control anymore it must be the ECU.. Blah blah blah..

Do i need to post up your PM about trying to keep it quiet about soliciting your services because you are taking business away from paying advertisers on this great site?
Old 07-22-13, 10:46 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you cooled off yet?
I hope you realize that, with few exceptions, everyone on this forum is simply trying to pool their collective experiences, and share what they have done to solve similar problems. It's all a crap shoot, and it is highly unlikely that a single component failure will produce EXACTLY the same symptoms in all the cars that use it. So, just because a particular fix may have worked for someone else, that same fix may not work for you. And, in many cases, there may actually be several components that are either marginal, or have completely failed, before they cause severe symptoms, or a driveability problem. In other words, the number of permutations are nearly endless when you are dealing with complex systems, using dozens of discrete components that interplay with one another. It ain't rocket science, but it's getting damned close, these days.
So, if you share the things that worked for you, congratulations. Otherwise, you may not get much assistance here, in the future. Just saying...
Old 07-22-13, 11:50 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Cool off please.... you asked for free advice and you got it... it's yours to do with what you want... in the end, you are ultimately responsible for fixing your car.... and I don't know anyone who is making money off this site...we all choose to help one another by sharing what we've learned and what works with our cars. YMMV. Should you choose not to share what you've learned, that is your personal prerogative... and we'll respect that. We're just all doing the best we can to help each other... sorry if it did not meet your expectations.
Old 07-23-13, 05:54 AM
Lexinky
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. And hope you do come back and share your experiences.

If you don't , well that says something about you too doesn't it.