LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New to Lexus/vip scene

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 06:44 PM
flipside12
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Lexus/vip scene

Whats up club lexus, names flip.

I was always a honda guy and know my ins and out of civics and integras, as ive had qoute a few.
As much as i love hondas and the ease of modding them, i just turned 26, getting married and im a bigger build guy that just having a small car was getting old to me. So i sold my last civic coupe and was on the look for a bigger sedan. I had a ucf10 for 2 weeks last year and the engine ended up being crap, and i sold it and built my civic. I loved the luxury and feel of it. So i decided i wanted another.

Pictures of my civic i sold. Nothing Fast but looked great!!!

So I began my search, and it was quick. I knew i wanted a 98-00, but they were out my price range for what i could manage. So i started looking around and emailed a few people about ucf10s. That was until i came across a 98 in my range. The pictures looked good and the car seemed to be in great shape. It was also a color i could bear, i did not want a tan one, really wanted a black one, but i found this one and it was good. So i emailed the gentleman about and went back and forth for 2 days about it. He was the 2nd owner and had owned it for the past 10 years. The ad stated it had an intermitten starter issue but started every time. So i decided to make an offer and plan to make the 2 hour trip to check it out. The gentleman accepted my offer and the next morning i headed down to check it out.

I got there and the car was in as good condition as the pictures looked. Engine was pretty clean and then he pulled out 10 years of service paper work. I took it for a drive and it felt great, good power, smooth ride and COLD ac. Pulled back up and made the deal.

This is the only pic of her i have right now but will be taking some more once i clean her up

Plans will be headed towards the vip route, but on a budget. I will be ordering my coilovers in a week, on the search for a stock 18in wheel, either ls430, is350, g35/37 along those lines. Something just for temp while i finish up my wedding then im be on the search for wider wheels. I also plan to get 6000k hids for the headlights and fogs as this is a non hid model.

Thanks for reading and i look forward to learning more.

ps if you have some coilovers for sale hit me up, if not ill buy d2s in a week.
Old 06-24-13, 07:14 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus! Check out the UCF20 Frequently Asked Questions since it will probably help figure out what you need to know about your car as far as problems and DIY fixes/mods go. Also, check out the Recent Pictures and Wheel Setup threads in case you're looking for any inspiration. Also, check out some of the other aftermarket companies that make coilovers for our cars. Most members here run BC Racing or Megan Racing and BC offers benefits such as custom spring rates if you want to be extra precise.
Old 06-24-13, 07:20 PM
flipside12
Rookie

Thanks, im going with d2 as im a dealer for them and they also allow custom rates. Unless i can find a used set of something for a good price
Old 06-24-13, 07:35 PM
door331
Rookie

good choice on the 98 there, like the color! I think everyone here will pretty much agree you made a good choice upgrading to an LS - very nice car and I think you will enjoy it. bummer on the headlights- maybe someone else can offer input if you could upgrade them to the 99-00 OEM ones?

Last edited by door331; 06-24-13 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-24-13, 07:53 PM
flipside12
Rookie

Originally Posted by door331
good choice on the 98 there, like the color! I think everyone here will pretty much agree you made a good choice upgrading to an LS - very nice car and I think you will enjoy it. bummer on the headlights- maybe someone else can offer input if you could upgrade them to the 99-00 OEM ones?
Its not a big deal, i can buy a kit and have the same kit for fogs so they match
Old 06-24-13, 09:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

he could go with '98-00 OEM hid (they were optional all years but most '99-00 had that box ticked) but it would be a huge chore as the system is not prewired for the ride height sensors and levelling computers.
Old 06-24-13, 11:06 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, that makes a lot of sense then with your choice of D2 and all. As for the HIDs, perhaps have them retrofitted? It would probably run you the same cost as buying the OEM HID units off of, say, eBay.

Also, wild question but, do you remember the model/diameter of the wheels you were running on your Civic?
Old 06-25-13, 03:59 AM
flipside12
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
Oh, that makes a lot of sense then with your choice of D2 and all. As for the HIDs, perhaps have them retrofitted? It would probably run you the same cost as buying the OEM HID units off of, say, eBay.

Also, wild question but, do you remember the model/diameter of the wheels you were running on your Civic?
They were ruff racing r358 15x8.5+17 but +14 with the spacer. My set up before that was also the same specs klutch republik. My civic sedan prior to that i had 15x9+15
Old 06-25-13, 05:16 AM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!
Color looks great.
I don't see alot of LS modded in this color
Old 06-25-13, 05:35 AM
flipside12
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dranom
Welcome!
Color looks great.
I don't see alot of LS modded in this color
Awesome to know, the color is rubbing off on me
Old 06-25-13, 06:18 AM
DannySz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking forward to see what you'll do to it. Looks like you take very good care of your cars
Old 06-25-13, 06:19 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Welcome to CL! Another blue one on the team!!
Old 06-25-13, 06:56 AM
JSC4
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to CL and I love the blue.... jealous *_*
Old 06-25-13, 08:03 AM
flipside12
Rookie

Originally Posted by DannySz
looking forward to see what you'll do to it. Looks like you take very good care of your cars
Thanks

I try too, i enjoy everything automotive and like the wow factor of having a clean car. This build will take longer as parts are more expensive then a honda, but i hope to have it looking good down the road.
Old 06-25-13, 09:48 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where in NC are you located? Self leveling HID stock is nifty to have but not necessarily needed. as Sc0pe said Make sure you check out the FAQ since there is alot to learn about the car. Make sure you look into the starter issue. Don't want to be stranded out of town without your tools to fix it.
How many miles does it have? Has the ball joints been changed? Timing belt, waterpump? These cars run for ever just have to keep up with the maintenance.

Id suggest leaving it stock if its your primary driver. But sounds like you are on the right track with coilovers and OEM style 18s.

Quick Reply: New to Lexus/vip scene