LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hello from Maryland

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 05:16 AM
TNasty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Maryland

Hey whats up CL. My name is Thomas and I am a proud owner of a 1994 LS400. I come from a Nissan background. I've owned a bunch of S13s' since I was 16. I am 21 now and in school part time while I work full time at National Institutes of Health.

I came across this LS on craigslist. Some middle aged man owned the car for 3 years, and before that his dad owned it for 15. The father kept all the receipts/service records, and I gotta say this car has been well maintained.

The car itself just passed the 142,000 mile mark. It is black with black interior. The only major things it needs is some tires and windshield wipers. The rest is all cosmetic and common things like the hvac lcd blacked out.

After going through all the receipts the following was replaced:

-timing belt (76,xxx miles)
-water pump
-AT filter
-AC compressor
-oil seals
-serpentine belt
-fuel filter

-power steering pump
-valve cover gaskets
-spark plugs
-spark plug wires
-caps and rotors
-steering rack boots

-rotors
-pads
-alternator

-battery

Alignments, rotations, oil changes and other things were done on the regular. I know i am missing a bunch of stuff

Anyway, enough talking. Here are 3 pics i took last night on my phone. I promise to have some today or tomorrow after I wash it. Its covered in a bunch of gunk from sitting under a tree.

I am looking forward to meeting other Lexus owners on the forum and in the area.

Later!
Old 06-21-13, 05:40 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Sounds like a good find... pretty low miles for that year and it appears you've got the receipts backing up the work. I'd make sure no accidents and not too much rust and you've probably got yourself a keeper. Congrats and welcome to the club...
Old 06-21-13, 01:12 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

welcome to the club and your good find!!
Old 06-21-13, 09:30 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus and congrats on a clean LS.
Old 06-21-13, 09:44 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Welcome, we've been getting lots of new members in the last week or so and it has livened up the forum.
Old 06-21-13, 10:19 PM
TNasty
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the words everyone.

I took some pics after washing the exterior. I need to have the interior detailed.

^The hood is wet

It failed inspection today.
Needs to have windshield chips repaired, new wipers, and both front lower ball joints need replaced.

I took care of the first two, and now I am waiting for my ball joints. I ordered them through Lexus with an employee discount. lol
Old 06-21-13, 10:23 PM
TNasty
Driver School Candidate

I also have another problem.

So I can lower and raise the driver window no problem. With the other three windows, I can lower them through the master switch, but I can't raise them. I have to raise them individually with the other switches. Is this something that normally happens? The weird thing is, I can't lower them through each their switches. Only raise them up.
Old 06-21-13, 10:25 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the LS and welcome to Club Lexus
Old 06-22-13, 02:54 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

here are the likely areas where you may have issues that ya might wanna take a peek at:

strut bar bushings
lower EGR pipe
transmission mount
motor mounts
Idle Air Control Valve (IACV)
ECU capacitors
PS leaks (which kill alternators)
cig lighter fuse link
climate control or radio LCD screen
upper control arms (UCA's)
+ side battery terminal

really nothing else tends to go wrong on these cars, perhaps drain & fill tranny with genuine T-IV fluid, and if it were mine, I would renew the plugs, plug wires, caps & rotors, cam & crank seals at the time of doing the next timing belt!

one thing that makes these cars wonderful, it that the big 3 expensive things to replace on a car: engine, transmission, and A/C system tend to never have any problems!

PS - power window issues are quite rare on this car!
Old 06-22-13, 05:06 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

I just did my lower ball joints today. I used Raybestos, but I have not read much about those ball joints. Seem to be good quality though.

Wish I had waited to find a black/black LS. Settled on the tan interior, and don't care for it very much.

Welcome to the club. Lots of great info on here. This site has helped me more times than I can count.
Old 06-24-13, 06:33 AM
TNasty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
here are the likely areas where you may have issues that ya might wanna take a peek at:

PS - power window issues are quite rare on this car!
Thanks for the info! I will keep an eye on those things. I have read some people cleaning the contact points on the master switch. I will give that a try.

Originally Posted by dc893
I just did my lower ball joints today. I used Raybestos, but I have not read much about those ball joints. Seem to be good quality though.

Wish I had waited to find a black/black LS. Settled on the tan interior, and don't care for it very much.

Welcome to the club. Lots of great info on here. This site has helped me more times than I can count.
Thank you DC. How difficult was it to replace the ball joints? I'm no professional mechanic, but I've been working on all my cars for 5 years now and have my good amount of tools.

Last edited by TNasty; 06-24-13 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-24-13, 09:55 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 428 Likes on 382 Posts

if you have a breaker bar a basic set of sockets you can do the ball joints easily. it's very straight forward. just do NOT use a pickle fork to dislodge the ball joint from the lower arm or the steering rods. i like to use an arm puller for that.

Old 06-24-13, 03:17 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

timmy0tool is 100% correct, if you have that puller it makes the job very simple and fairly quick. If you don't have one they are cheap. Any decent parts store should carry them. I would probably rate the difficulty about a 3 out of 10.
Old 06-24-13, 03:40 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
if you have a breaker bar a basic set of sockets you can do the ball joints easily. it's very straight forward. just do NOT use a pickle fork to dislodge the ball joint from the lower arm or the steering rods. i like to use an arm puller for that.

I am so old that I can remember when this tool was over $100 and that was 1970's money which equals like $300 or more nowadays! - what is it today. $10? - lol
Old 06-24-13, 04:20 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

$10? I got ripped off!!!! I'm gonna have to take it back!!! I paid $17

Quick Reply: Hello from Maryland