LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Window motor maintenance

Old 06-12-13, 02:59 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Window motor maintenance

Anyone know if there was ever a good thread about it? Searched but did not find anything.

My drivers side is the worst. Sounds like motor noise, slowed operation, especially at idle, and sometimes the it will stop of its own on the way up. The way the motor engages the window is a bit abrupt too. Passenger is a bit better. Backs are fine.

I have already lubricated the rubber tracks with silicon, which did help some.

I honestly would not mind rebuilding the front two at the same time. Bring them back to factory. Looking for advice and experience on the best way to do this and what really needs replacing considering nothing is actually broken.
Old 06-12-13, 07:18 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

if the motor engages the window abruptly then i would think the glass is loose from the regulator. if the motor stops on the way up it could be that the motor is overworking. i have not seen many threads on this as it's not really a common issue, yet. i suppose as our cars age they will start failing.

best thing is to remove the door panel and look for loose bits and grease ever pertinent part.
Old 06-13-13, 06:35 AM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you're going to be a pioneer on this one lol. Don't think this happens too often on our LSs. Anyway, be the first. Take pics as you go along and post. The world will be forever grateful.

Like Timmy said, maybe later this will happen. I always find myself perusing years old posts anyway. Lots of stuff missed to learn from.
Old 06-13-13, 12:56 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

My LS's have not been a problem. BUT my 2000 Toyota Sienna Van, WAS. I do NOT know if they will interchange.
Here is the problem, the motor heats up and drags.... on mine, when raining, I could put the window down, and right back up, if I had to lower it again (very soon), it would only go part of the way up, stop for 30 seconds and finish putting it up... then if I had to lower it again (right away)... it would make several stops to finally close it..
I got a new motor with the track from Amazon for cheap, and put it in myself (really, the old man, not my nephew).
I dont know if this is any help, but you might run the test, down-up-down-up and see what happens.. keep us all posted,,, for those who dont know Jon, my nephew, here he is doing one of my starters,......
Attached Thumbnails Window motor maintenance-100_1788.jpg  
Old 06-13-13, 02:23 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Nice to have air tools

What I think is going on is I am hearing the tracks and gears whine due to age. I know my 99 has a safety stop on it. This is what is engaging every one in a while. Only why the car gets jolted a bit from the road.

My plan is to pull the drivers side first and grease the regulator.

ADJUSTMENT
HOW TO RESET POWER WINDOW MOTOR (RESET SWITCH AND PULSE SWITCH)
If the jamprotection is not functioned properly, perform the following procedure.
HINT:
It is necessary to reset the power window motor (in initial position for the limit switch) when separating the
window regulator from the power window motor or operating the window regulator with the door glass not
installed.
(a) Remove the power window motor (See page BO–13, BO–19).
HINT:
Place the matchmarks on the power window motor and window regulator gear.
(b) Connect the power window motor and power window switch to wire harness of the vehicle.
(c) Turn the ignition switch ON and operate the power window switch to idle the power window motor in
UP side direction for more than 6 rotations or less than 10 rotates (4 seconds or more).
(d) Assemble the power window motor and regulator.
HINT:
 Install the motor when the regulator arm is below the middle point.
 Align the matchmarks on the power window motor and window regulator gear.
(e) Assemble the power window regulator and door glass.
HINT:
Never rotate the motor to the down direction until the completion of the window glass installation.
(f) Connect power window switch to wire harness and turn the ignition switch ON.
(g) Repeat UP and DOWN operation several times manually.
(h) Check if AUTO UP " AUTO DOWN operates in automatic operation.
HINT:
 Take care that the jam protection function does not operate just after resetting.
 Reset the regulator again when performing the reverse operating after closing the window fully by
AUTO UP operation.
(i) Check the power window function.
Attached Thumbnails Window motor maintenance-door1.jpg  

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-13-13 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-13-13, 05:19 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My 92 driver's side sometimes pauses on the way up. I don't have the skill to do jack about it though.
Old 06-14-13, 04:30 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

WoW Lavrishevo, that caught me by surprise...... but it is good to know (that is for Jon to know) these things....
and Dubbayoo none of us were born with a do it yourself skill, if you dont have the money to have it done, get in there and fix it (at least SEE the problem) or mess it up and head for the salvage yard to try again, "knowing" how you messed it up and being careful not to repeat that action..... you can do it....
Old 06-14-13, 07:38 AM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billydpowe
... (at least SEE the problem) or mess it up and head for the salvage yard to try again, "knowing" how you messed it up and being careful not to repeat that action..... you can do it....
Excellent words of encouragement. Though I prefer to go to the junk yard first and find a car that's already jacked up and use that as my learning tool.
Old 06-14-13, 07:49 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Definitely bookmarked since my passenger side is acting funny but I believe it's because I have the whole car damn near apart doing multiple maintenance issues.