LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Repair Partially Lit Instrument Cluster Needles

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 10:18 AM
Beatdemon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLS
I do not. However, the referenced link in the needle tutorial shows how to disassemble the cluster for the most part. I believe there's just a few screws to get the needles out and then you align the needle and rotate it out of the cluster face.

And yes, if you found another cluster that's just better overall you could swap your odometer, assuming a 90-92 cluster.
I went ahead and found a cluster on eBay that ended up having fully lit needles (rare) for only $100! I swapped out some parts because mine were in better cosmetic shape and am back in business. I did notice that on 2 of the needles the plastic housing has already split and is curling off so it's now a matter of time before those go dim. At least I now have a couple of spares.

I did notice one odd thing about the temp gauge: it is reading hotter than my old one and hovers at the half-way mark. My "check coolent level" light will periodically go on for about 30 seconds sporadically. I wonder if the check light and needle position are connected or if there happens to be a real temp problem that just manifested itself after the cluster was replaced.

Thanks again for the tutorials!

Last edited by Beatdemon; 06-24-13 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-24-13, 08:46 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Beatdemon
I went ahead and found a cluster on eBay that ended up having fully lit needles (rare) for only $100! I swapped out some parts because mine were in better cosmetic shape and am back in business. I did notice that on 2 of the needles the plastic housing has already split and is curling off so it's now a matter of time before those go dim. At least I now have a couple of spares.

I did notice one odd thing about the temp gauge: it is reading hotter than my old one and hovers at the half-way mark. My "check coolent level" light will periodically go on for about 30 seconds sporadically. I wonder if the check light and needle position are connected or if there happens to be a real temp problem that just manifested itself after the cluster was replaced.

Thanks again for the tutorials!
did ya replace those caps while ya had it out?
Old 06-25-13, 12:33 PM
Beatdemon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
did ya replace those caps while ya had it out?
Caps? Layman terms please.

Obviously the answer is "no" so please elaborate?
Old 06-25-13, 01:04 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Caps? Layman terms please.

Obviously the answer is "no" so please elaborate?
caps = aluminum electrolytic capacitors which are a common failure item in both LS400 ECU's and instrument cluster circuit boards

the parts you order are a very rare and special type of Japanese capacitors, and luckily very inexpensive (less than $10 in parts total) however they require the labor of an expert solderer, something that doesn't come cheap if you are not one yourself (expect to spend $125- $250 on a cluster and even more on an ECU for labor)

Got any ham radio geeks in the neighborhood or old school electrical engineers who you might could barter something with?
Old 06-25-13, 01:09 PM
Beatdemon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
caps = aluminum electrolytic capacitors which are a common failure item in both LS400 ECU's and instrument cluster circuit boards

the parts you order are a very rare and special type of Japanese capacitors, and luckily very inexpensive (less than $10 in parts total) however they require the labor of an expert solderer, something that doesn't come cheap if you are not one yourself (expect to spend $125- $250 on a cluster and even more on an ECU for labor)

Got any ham radio geeks in the neighborhood or old school electrical engineers who you might could barter something with?
Ah, no. And I most definitely cannot claim to be an expert solderer. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Probably cheaper (in my case) to just get another cluster and hold onto it as a spare, huh?
Old 06-26-13, 04:03 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Cowboy is right, replacing the caps is a good idea. Not sure what you swapped but if I remember correctly the needle assemblies have caps on them. That why your temp gauge is now reading correctly, it probably has caps that are in better shape, half-way is normal.

Glad to hear it's back and thanks to fencera for confirming the defogger kit paint works!
Old 06-26-13, 07:44 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Ah, no. And I most definitely cannot claim to be an expert solderer. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Probably cheaper (in my case) to just get another cluster and hold onto it as a spare, huh?
another cluster or another ECU will still need its caps replaced, they all do eventually