LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission shifting hard and hesitates under WOT

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 02:01 PM
Lexturious
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it really that bad of a plan? A few people I work with and also go to drift events with all think its reasonable. I work at a ford dealership and know many people interested in helping with the conversion. I know I need to get my driveshaft lengthened or have one custom made, other then that it seams pretty straight forward. I know it wasn't manufactured to be a manual and I understand whyhowever there are many other ccars thatwere never designed to be manual that I have seen swapped over so I'm sure its not to stupid. Plus I do know people who are custom manufacturers who are willing to help since they love my car and want to see it on the track I just Dont like the idea of not having a manual on a track since they are easier to control drifts with. I also know many auto techs metal fabs and my car is already at my buddies house with the lift and all the tools I need. I'm sure its possible to fix my trans but what's going to prevent it from failing again? Im pretty sure my valve body is shot as well as my speed sensor but I didn't want to spend money to replace them if I was going to a manual swap anyway. My caps have been replaced right before my road trip hoping it would solve my issue but it didn't. I have about 140,000 miles on my 1990 Ls.

I'm planing on getting the kit from 1uzswap and I've been trying to locate a clutch pedal from a sc300 but so far no luck so I'm probably my going to have to order them from drift motion. Other then that I just ordered my master and slave cylinder now I just need to save up for the transmission since I can't find one in Minnesota from an sc so I need to get one shipped.
Old 08-07-13, 05:05 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexturious
My caps have been replaced right before my road trip hoping it would solve my issue but it didn't. I have about 140,000 miles on my 1990 Ls.
were the caps that you had installed the ones linked to in my thread?

you would be amazed at how many Lexus ECU's I have opened up with the incorrect type or brand of capacitors, as well as hacked up soldering and even incorrect values used.
Old 08-08-13, 08:30 AM
Lexturious
Driver School Candidate

Yup I bought the ones from digi-key and had them installed by a professional since I didn't want to risk anyone screwing up my ecu.
Old 08-08-13, 09:50 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

It might just be your transmission is wearing out. It is 23 years old.
Old 08-08-13, 10:33 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

FWIW, I was having a tranny discussion with a local friend about the WS in his LS430 and fluid change intervals. His Lexus tech who has been with Toyota for 24 years and at Lexus since '90, he said he's not replaced a tranny in that time being a technician.

I take that as: even if shifting poorly, they can be resurrected rather than pulling them out for a rebuild. We see enough discussion here about shift solenoids being changed and with incremental fluid drains they come back. Just to note this is the same tech that serviced his 1-LS that went north of 200K if my memory is right.

On a 23 year old car, there is potentially lots of smaller issues to accumulate to this problem. Vacuum, brittle wiring harness with intermittent shorts, particulates in the fluid to create issues, etc.

OTOH, if you have this for a manual tranny project, no stopping you.
Old 08-12-13, 12:49 PM
Lexturious
Driver School Candidate

I'm glad to hear the Lexus transmissions Dont need to be replaced however the techs that looked at it here in Minnesota said they weren't sure what was wrong with my transmission and said it would be best to replace it instead of waisting tech hours trying to rip it apart and figure it out. I still believe its a combination of my valve body and od speed ssensor and maybe even a shift solenoid. So I know its repairable just not what I'm looking for currently since I would rather have the 5 speed auto or a manual at this point since I Dont know maintenance history on the current trans and like I said before I had the transmission flushed a couple years back and then the symptoms got progressively worse over time. Which made me think some contaminates were released during the flush and got into the valve body and tore into the valves a bit causing it to have issues shifting as well as possibly clogging the filter since I had that replaced as well at Lexus and it drove great for about a year and the same symptoms came back and this time it was more noticeable.

I'm currently working on saving money for the future manual swap since I wasn't expecting this to happen this year but such is life.