LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Size matters! - let's put a BIG oil filter on our LS!

Old 04-17-15, 01:47 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

It would be better as long as it fits and seals good, I did on a metro, and did you know 1.0 metro uses the same filter as a UCF10.
Old 04-17-15, 03:24 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Too big oil filter may damage the engine.
When you use it for the 1st time, longer time is required to fill up the filter. Oil pressure warning light turns on longer and it simply means that the oil is not supplied to the oil passages during that time.

One of the countermeasures is to fill up it manually before applying.
Old 04-17-15, 06:32 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

If you just want to do a lot of reading, you might try here. Not that it's going to be definitive, but it will give you some ideas.... enjoy. This has been discussed.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...on-our-ls.html
Old 04-17-15, 07:31 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by cgawelko
I used a Motorcraft FL400S but they really cut the quality in recent years, so I buy the AMSOIL filter for a 2000 ford mustang V6 - im a dealer so I get it at a good price plus I dont have to worry about quality like the Motorcraft
I tried the FL400S and it did not seal properly. Always leaked a little so I went back to the stock filter.
Old 04-17-15, 06:16 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i found 4 of the original 90915-20004 filters on ebay, made sure to quickly ****** them up...
Old 04-18-15, 12:11 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
I tried the FL400S and it did not seal properly. Always leaked a little so I went back to the stock filter.
Odd. Neither of the ones I had leaked, and the AMSOIL filters I use from the same motor doesnt have any issues. Been using them for 26,000 miles now - only issue I have had so far is from not replacing the drain plug gasket.
Old 04-18-15, 02:55 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yamae
Too big oil filter may damage the engine.
When you use it for the 1st time, longer time is required to fill up the filter. Oil pressure warning light turns on longer and it simply means that the oil is not supplied to the oil passages during that time.

One of the countermeasures is to fill up it manually before applying.
Too big may damage the engine????
Then someone better tell all the large engine manufactures they need SMALL FILTERS.
Funny that many large engine and average size industrial engines can use multiple oil filters.
For bearing damage to occur the engine would need to sit unrunning for a long time. There is always a residual film of oil I have never removed a bearing from an engine that ran and didn't fail because of lack of lubrication that didn't have some oil on them. I can think of an oil filter installation that put the filter upside down on the adapter and had no check valve system, so at every start up it was a complete refill. It was a nice thing when it was time to change the filter as it wasn't too messy. And I would agree the best thing would be prelube, but millions of engines start every day that don't have that option.
I'd like to tell a story sometime about lack of oil in an engine. No time now.
Old 04-18-15, 07:51 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Toyota engineers must have been reading this thread since they are now using the HUGE oil filter shown in the attached photo on current Toyota and Lexus vehicles that have a 10,000 mile oil change frequency. Besides being HUGE, this oil filter is HEAVY at just over 1/2 ounce.

When I showed this oil filter to my wife, I told her that it was far larger than it appeared to be and that it got even bigger when it was in use.
Attached Thumbnails Size matters! - let's put a BIG oil filter on our LS!-oil-filter-2.jpg  
Old 04-18-15, 09:49 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

lol..nice reference kansas. the "filter" looks small to me
Old 04-18-15, 11:00 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by cgawelko
Odd. Neither of the ones I had leaked, and the AMSOIL filters I use from the same motor doesnt have any issues. Been using them for 26,000 miles now - only issue I have had so far is from not replacing the drain plug gasket.
I'm glad yours did not leak but mine did consistently. Not a lot but enough to see a line of oil running down the filter every time I checked. And yes, I know how to change a filter.
Old 08-12-15, 08:03 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Just thought I would revive and say hello to my old 400 pals. I have used the the Motorcraft with success and of course the stock Toyota as well as the Bosch filter. Going to give the Fram XG3600 a try this time around.

LSCowboyLS we miss you my friend! Too bad you are not around anymore. If you happen to still read these threads thank you for your dedication to helping others. Much appreciated.
Old 08-12-15, 09:23 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I'd like to tell a story sometime about lack of oil in an engine. No time now.
Let's hear it. I've got one too. I've got an old 88 Ford Ranger. I bought it in 92 and still own it. A while back the oil pressure gauge started showing low pressure. I changed the sender unit, but it still read low. Then it started reading zero. I thought the replacement sender was broken, as I wasn't having any issues with the way the truck ran. My theory is that the oil pickup screen was getting blocked, but allowed just enough oil through to mask any symptoms. One day I drove the truck down to Monterey and on the way back it just started making a hell of a racket. Just one of those sounds that you know are extremely serious. At the time I wasn't sure what the problem was, but it was oil starvation. I knew I should have it towed, but the truck was almost valueless monetarily, so I decided to just drive it as far as I could. As it turned out, it got me all the way home--about 30 miles up highway 1--with no oil pressure. I put a pressure gauge on it afterward and got nothing. After I parked it, I went shopping for another car and bought the Ls400. But the truck is still in the driveway. It starts and runs on the first turn of the key.
Old 08-13-15, 12:46 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
Let's hear it. I've got one too. I've got an old 88 Ford Ranger. I bought it in 92 and still own it. A while back the oil pressure gauge started showing low pressure. I changed the sender unit, but it still read low. Then it started reading zero. I thought the replacement sender was broken, as I wasn't having any issues with the way the truck ran. My theory is that the oil pickup screen was getting blocked, but allowed just enough oil through to mask any symptoms. One day I drove the truck down to Monterey and on the way back it just started making a hell of a racket. Just one of those sounds that you know are extremely serious. At the time I wasn't sure what the problem was, but it was oil starvation. I knew I should have it towed, but the truck was almost valueless monetarily, so I decided to just drive it as far as I could. As it turned out, it got me all the way home--about 30 miles up highway 1--with no oil pressure. I put a pressure gauge on it afterward and got nothing. After I parked it, I went shopping for another car and bought the Ls400. But the truck is still in the driveway. It starts and runs on the first turn of the key.
It could be a blocked passage to the gage too, they won't run for ever with out OP but it is surprising how long they will. My story is a friends car back in around the early 70's, aircooled engine leaked oil, one day it seized on us, lucky we were close to an auto parts store so got a couple of quarts of oil and put em in, and also lucky the road had a nice hill on it so we could coast it and put in gear to break it free. I lost count on how many times we had to do that in that car, teenagers you know and no bucks to fix it right. That engine lived a long time and never developed a knock and it was seized many times in its miserable life. And to seize it means there is pretty much zero oil on those bearings.
Old 08-14-15, 11:52 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I run an Amsoil EAO26, which is 1-1.5 inches longer than a Wix 51515. Works well for me! Mines a GS400, plenty of room.

I have a list of big filters somewhere, Donaldson makes some big ones that will fit, but usually pretty pricey.
Old 08-14-15, 10:44 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love reading threads like these... It's always entertaining to read arm-chair-cowboys and pseudo-engineers cite Internet forum posts on other sites, non-parrallel comparisons and hearsay as legitimate facts.

The size of the filter has ZERO impact on its ability to remove particulates, just the capacity of particulate it can store. They QUALITY of the filter is the important factor when selecting a filter to put on your car.

Buying a big honking filter =\= better, just like running synthetic =\= better than conventional oil just because it's synthetic.

If you are doing regular oil change intervals, your engine is clean internally, and the rest of your maintenance is well documented, then the concern of getting crap in your filter should be that of contracting polio in a completely vaccinated community. If you have never had the valve covers off or pulled the oil pan and have no idea what you are doing and bought a car without checking it out from somebody who didn't have reciepts... Then a big filter might give you some piece of mind but the size of the filter is not going to save your engine.

Change your oil and filter every 3500miles, and you'll likely be fine assuming you aren't buying crap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Size matters! - let's put a BIG oil filter on our LS!