LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Size matters! - let's put a BIG oil filter on our LS!

Old 05-19-13, 12:17 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by diamondave
i Run Mobil 1 full synthetic in everything i own. It is the #1 rated oil in the world. Amsoil use to be the best but Mobil 1 passed them a few years back. LS i usually agree with everything you say. I follow your posts like they are scripture but i have to disagree with you on this one. I personally cant stand fram anything. I have done alot of research on fram and they have had several lawsuits due to their faulty filters.
go read on that site that I linked to: Bob is the Oil Guy - these are the crazy guys who cut open and inspect and analyze every filter that comes out - that's how we know that the Mobil 1 filter and the K&N filter are the same inside, and made on the same assembly line, for example. After nearly 3 million forum posts, a whole lot of things have been figured out about oil and filters!

as far as which oil is best, what these oil geeks on this huge forum do is have the new and used oil analyzed for more things than a blood work up and analyze which oils really are working the best.

Mobil 1 may have been in a class of their own at one time, but the other manufacturers have caught up in many cases, so saying that Mobil 1 is the best these days is just opinion with no real facts to back it up.

I have been a professional mechanic for over 30 years and never seen a case of a properly installed Fram oil filter failing, but when you sell many hundreds of millions of filters every year, someone is gonna screw up their oil change and wanna sue someone!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 05-19-13 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-19-13, 12:23 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aman cowboy!
Old 05-19-13, 07:37 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

bigger filters doesnt equate to better filtration..a micron rating on a smaller filter..1348... is better than a filter of a larger size. oil only passes through ur filter at low rpms..once the rpms reach around 2000-2500 it by passes the filters simply because it cant filter and flow fast enough to lube the top end of the engine sufficiently
Old 05-19-13, 07:50 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by python
bigger filters doesnt equate to better filtration..a micron rating on a smaller filter..1348... is better than a filter of a larger size. oil only passes through ur filter at low rpms..once the rpms reach around 2000-2500 it by passes the filters simply because it cant filter and flow fast enough to lube the top end of the engine sufficiently
YEP, tell it like it is, just keep on changing oil & filter every 3 to 5k miles and you will be fine. it has worked for years.
Old 05-19-13, 09:58 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

It makes sense that a larger filter would perform better if the inside is quality. I'll have to check that out.
Old 05-19-13, 01:49 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by billydpowe
YEP, tell it like it is, just keep on changing oil & filter every 3 to 5k miles and you will be fine. it has worked for years.
I used to be hardcore about changing oil & filter every 3000, but modern full synthetics and/or modern diesel rated heavy duty oils as well as premium high end filters like the ones I listed have gotten so much better in the last 25 years that changing oil every 3000-5000 miles is becoming a bit silly
Old 05-19-13, 02:17 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been changing 8k - 10k depending how much low rpm driving I've done and color of oil on the dip stick.
Old 05-19-13, 03:20 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by python
If a larger or different design oil filter was indicated, Toyota engineers would have specified one. The regular size OEM oil filter is fine. My two LS400's clocked a total of 350,000 miles (312,000 of the miles by me) on the OEM oil filter and mostly Mobil 1 with no oil consumption between 5,000 mile interval changes. My first LS400, a 90 that I bought new and sold at 183,500 miles, was sold a couple of years ago by its second owner at nearly 300,000 miles. My understanding was that it was still running well.

It really isn't necessary to do weird stuff to make these cars last. All that has to be done is to religiously follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. And, very important, you can't "undo" poor or no maintenance from a previous owner.
Old 05-19-13, 04:36 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Several years back Toyota tried to change the OEM Landcruiser F engine oil filters to a little teeny one, and there was quite a protest over it. For those not familiar with them, the old Landcruiser OHV engine were MASSIVE and in turn had a MASSIVE filter. Toyota for some reason in the early 2000's decided that they were gonna change it to a filter 1/4 the size, and as a result people stopped buying OEM filters for them. i myself was one of those people! Sure enough, they reverted back to the larger design within less than a year.
Old 05-19-13, 04:50 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kansas
If a larger or different design oil filter was indicated, Toyota engineers would have specified one.
normally this is exactly like something I would say!

but I must admit I cannot see a downside to a larger and more technically advanced oil filter than these cars came with in the 90's, especially if the cost difference is minimal.

oils have improved as well, we have much better oils today than in the 90's, and I don't mind using them!

and I am the guy who lobbies folks to use genuine Toyota parts for almost everything and people think I am nuts!
Old 05-19-13, 05:21 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
people think I am nuts!

im sure the engineers at Toyota know a little more than most....
Old 05-19-13, 05:24 PM
diamondave
Driver

If you use a bigger filter with a better filter element as long as it is made for the same psi rating there is nothing wrong with it. Normally i would tell you to do your research before using a filter other than oem but LScowboy has already done this and shared his results. Personally as long as you are using a high quality filter i see it being very beneficial but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Thumbs up again LS
Old 05-20-13, 12:03 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

I'm surprised you guys forgot to add this one. http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2217 . I thought this was the best one for our motors.
Old 05-20-13, 01:24 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by j three
I'm surprised you guys forgot to add this one. http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2217 . I thought this was the best one for our motors.
i didn't include the OEM Toyota filter because this thread is focused on using a larger filter than the stock unit, Toyota does not make this size, nor does NipponDenso (the maker of the Toyota filter) as far as I can determine, nor does Toyota Racing Design (TRD)

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 05-20-13 at 02:17 AM.
Old 05-20-13, 02:06 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

To all of the Fram haters out there, I think you are not gonna be real pleased when you find out who makes the K&N, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and Toyota Racing Design (TRD) filters - hehe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Size matters! - let's put a BIG oil filter on our LS!