LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Size matters! - let's put a BIG oil filter on our LS!

Old 05-26-13, 04:01 PM
diamondave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My gauge is working properly as i have tested it externally. Oil IS a coolant. That is mechanics 101. just like if your engine is running low on oil it will run a bit hotter the same is true if you can safely run more oil without overfilling your engine it will run cooler. Thats another reason why some people run external oil coolers.
Old 05-26-13, 04:11 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

I was thinking about this... And I would do it, only for longer service with a full synthetic. However, I have a fear of switching to full synthetic as for the last 100k miles or so, the only thing ran in my 1uz has been regular oil. Scared of leaks...

I currently run Mobil 1 High Mileage with Wix filters.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but just thought this larger oil filter would be a great idea, however with my 3,000 mile change intervals, i'm not so sure.
Old 05-26-13, 04:17 PM
diamondave
Driver

If you switch to a full synthetic like mobil 1 you could easy go double that between service. If you don't have leaks now i would change. I have 239k and i switched and 10k later still no leaks. Synthetic oil doesn't breakdown like conventional oil does. It also doesn't burn like conventional oil.
Old 05-26-13, 04:24 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiryo
I was thinking about this... And I would do it, only for longer service with a full synthetic. However, I have a fear of switching to full synthetic as for the last 100k miles or so, the only thing ran in my 1uz has been regular oil. Scared of leaks...

I currently run Mobil 1 High Mileage with Wix filters.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but just thought this larger oil filter would be a great idea, however with my 3,000 mile change intervals, i'm not so sure.
Myths about Synthetic Oils

The most often cited myth concerning synthetic oil is that it will wear down the seals in your engine and cause leaks. That just isn't true. Well, for the most part, anyway.

Like many myths, this one is based in fact. Early synthetics were made of esters, which were harder on seals, especially those made of neoprene. However, synthetic oils have come a long way since the early 1970s, and they're much nicer to delicate seals. But while synthetic oil won't create a leak, it will find one. Its streamlined molecular structure has no mercy for cracked or otherwise marginal seals. The oil and its additives may even clean deposits from the engine, which is good -- unless those deposits are acting like spackle on questionable seals.

Related to this is the myth that if you started with mineral oil in your car, you can't switch to synthetic oil. As long as your engine's seals are in decent shape, you can switch back and forth to your heart's content. You can mix and match, you can use blended synthetic and mineral oil or you can use mineral oil for 3,000 miles (4,828 kilometers) and synthetic oil for the next 5,000 miles (8,047 kilometers). You could even fill your reservoir with five different oils from five different manufacturers, and as long as they're the same weight, it will do your engine no harm, according to David Canitz, technical services manager at Royal Purple.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/switch...thetic-oil.htm
Old 05-26-13, 04:42 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Guys, let's keep this regarding filters. If the discussion continues with oil, I'll move those into one of the oil threads.
Old 05-26-13, 07:45 PM
diamondave
Driver

Lavrishevo you are exactly correct in that. Also because the molecular structure of synthetic being smaller if you have a leak it may make it worse but there is nothing harmful about synthetic oils. People have a lot of misconceptions about synthetic but i would use nothing else. I am loving this Mobil 1 M1-301 backed up with Mobil 1 full synthetic. I have actually seen people drain synthetic out and put it in another vehicle...lol while i don't recommend that I have seen it coming out of never motors and looks just like what your pouring in. Pretty amazing!
Old 05-27-13, 06:32 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchy
More oil has nothing to do with your coolant temperture, maby oil temperture goes down but is that better? Probaly the thermostat had his best time... Or the gauge is not working properly.
exactly..was just posting this exact same thought...these engines run for well over 300,000 on the original designed filter..why switch because someone on an internet forum says to?
Old 05-27-13, 08:31 AM
diamondave
Driver

Personally i have done this on several cars for years and i don't do things because someone says too. I research and check things out before doing them and first and foremost i do things because i think they are a good idea. what someone else thinks is really meaningless to me. LSCowboy did the research on this but i checked his research and followed through. My question is if some people don't agree with this mod why get on here and bash it or post negatively about it? Just move on guys. this should be a friendly forum
Old 05-27-13, 12:40 PM
python
Lexus Champion

it is friendly..just because some disagrees or thinks ur giving bad advice doesn't mean they aren't allowed to speak up..do what u want its ur car..stop being so thin skinned...its an internet forum with many different beliefs..some right, some wrong,its up to u to determine whats what..i know I have
just to add, another half a cup to a cup of oil isn't going to cool ur engine to the point of it showing on ur gauge,an oil cooler might have that effect.
good luck I hope u get the desired results u r looking for.
Old 05-27-13, 01:22 PM
diamondave
Driver

actually it does run quite a bit cooler and with that filter it holds exactly 1 extra quart. but believe what you want.
Old 05-27-13, 05:37 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by diamondave
My question is if some people don't agree with this mod why get on here and bash it or post negatively about it? Just move on guys. this should be a friendly forum
OK, do you understand how car forums work?

"Bashing" ideas that others don't agree with is completely appropriate on car forums. This is supposed to be a discussion and even a debate. As Python and others have been saying, LS400's have gone 400,000 to 500,000 miles on the standard OEM oil filter with no problems. I personally have driven a total of 311,500 miles in two LS400's (1990, 2000) since I purchased my first one new in 1990 while using only OEM oil filters usually purchased by the 10-pack for about $4.00 each (including the drain plug gasket) at Toyota dealers. My two LS400's never used a drop of oil between oil changes.

What some of us are telling you that focusing on aftermarket high capacity oil filters is a waste of your personal energy and could cause damage to your engine. Why bother?
Old 05-27-13, 06:20 PM
diamondave
Driver

ok i can understand to a certain extent people not understanding the benefits of doing this mod.. but harming your engine? If someone can truly make me believe that i would give them my car and buy them a stock oil filter.... haha
Old 05-27-13, 07:08 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by diamondave
ok i can understand to a certain extent people not understanding the benefits of doing this mod.. but harming your engine? If someone can truly make me believe that i would give them my car and buy them a stock oil filter.... haha
Yes, poorly designed, poorly fitting aftermarket oil filters can harm your engine. There are no demonstrated benefits to doing this mod - only the usual "urban myths".

There really aren't any secrets to making these cars last. All you have to do is follow the maintenance schedule, fix things when they break, and don't do anything stupid. It's no different than maintaining real estate or anything else. I'll bet my AARP card and TMC shares on it!
Old 05-27-13, 07:13 PM
diamondave
Driver

I am still not a believer. I have already seen the benefits such as a cooler running engine and with a bigger filter you can even go longer between service intervals. we can all agree to disagree but i have done this with a lot of different vehicles and never had any issues with it with the proper research
Old 05-27-13, 09:48 PM
python
Lexus Champion

lmao..ur wasting ur time and effort Kansas..diamond u just tried to fit a tractor filter on ur car! now that's friggen hilarious

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Size matters! - let's put a BIG oil filter on our LS!