LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ideal trunk subwoofer placement in a UCF20?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-13, 01:41 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ideal trunk subwoofer placement in a UCF20?

DISCLAIMER: I wasn't sure whether I should have posted this here or in the audio forum so I just posted here. Move this post if necessary.

I'm planning on adding a new head unit and two subwoofers in my car in the near future. Since I'm one of those OCD individuals obsessed with symmetry, I thought two shallow-mounted 10s (or 12s) tucked into the side portions of the trunk using a couple of these would be good while keeping the trunk functional (since I'm not really interested in a massive crate in my trunk).

Picture below for a better idea (the small areas like where the tool kit is).

Any ideas/recommendations on positions/shallow mount subs/amps? I was thinking Pioneer/Kicker subs with 2 mono/1 2-channel Rockford Fosgate amp(s).

Last edited by Sc0pe; 05-12-13 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-13-13, 02:15 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Custom 10's in the corner pockets would work well. The tire well is another option. I just got a PPI 8" put in the OEM location & w/ custom sealed box built around it. Sound deadening was placed on the top of the deck lid. I wanted all of my trunk space & in the end I gave up just over half a cubic foot, some of the box tucked into the dead space above the gas tank & behind the panel wall. After a month it just isn't working for me and now Im going with a 10".

Last edited by VanCityLS4; 06-09-13 at 02:06 AM. Reason: New feedback.
Old 05-13-13, 04:58 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
Custom 10's in the corner pockets would work well. Unless you wanna give up the tire well. I just got a PPI 8" put in the stock location & had a custom sealed box built around it. Extra sound deadening was needed on the deck lid. I didn't wanna give up any trunk space & in the end I gave up just over half a cubic foot since some of the box tucked into the dead space above the gas tank & behind the panel wall.
I listen to fairly bass heavy music (e.g. Dubstep, Electro, Trap, etc.) so I'm looking for a nice hard-hitting subwoofer. Not exactly looking something that could shatter windows but some nice sound quality which I can boost a little, if need be.
Old 05-24-13, 09:20 AM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well in the spaces on the sides, you might actually get better sound from three 8s because bigger subs are going to want more air than the little pockets are going to give them. The real difference will be loudness. I always preferred smaller subs for the CRISP and TIGHT lows. I hate that sloppy sounding bass. Plus 8's get just as low as others. Amp them properly and you should be all good.

two 8s on the sides and one 8 in stock location. You should be able to bang out on the highway with windows down and not be wanting for sound. Don't forget those interior components. I think I saw a diy also for installing 5.25" in the 4" boxes in your door panels.
Old 05-24-13, 12:10 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going through this myself. Don't want a wooden box in the middle of my trunk and I like cleanliness of a sound system that allows me to keep my trunk space. I think 1 on each side of the pockets would be ideal.
Old 05-27-13, 08:47 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by akitomk3
I'm going through this myself. Don't want a wooden box in the middle of my trunk and I like cleanliness of a sound system that allows me to keep my trunk space. I think 1 on each side of the pockets would be ideal.
I was thinking of doing a 12" sub (JBL or Alpine [Yep, I did research]) in a 1 cubic foot sealed box in the center like what SoloKaMGS did with the trunk in his GS300 (refer to the image below):

The problem I have with this particular way of setting it up, is that I'd have to relocate the air tank/compressors to the spare tire well (much later on, I'll be installing air suspension, and I want the tank and compressors to be the centerpiece of my trunk). I'm a total nut about symmetry lol.

On a related note, the kind of sound I'm looking for involves nice strong kicks (I listen primarly to Dubstep, Electro, House, Trance and the occasional Metal [if you've ever heard someone going double bass, think about feeling every one of those kicks. That's the kind of sound I'm going for,]) as far as subwoofers go. Not really looking for sound competition-grade audio. Just high quality with room to show off, so to speak. Any particular recommendations on subwoofer models? I would prefer if they were 10 or 12 inches in diameter.
Old 05-27-13, 10:58 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Dual 10" Diamond Audio is what I rock, as far as my setup, not what you're looking for at all, it's a temporary box taking up most of my trunk space currently.

Both my cars rock Diamond Audio sound systems, minus the amps (they cost an arm and a leg...). Can't go wrong with them. US-Based and I consider them top-end quality with a mid-range pricing.

In my LS, I also rock a equalizer up front so i'm constantly adjusting the way my audio performs. I also listened to dubstep between 08-11, then went to just listening to whatever hip-hop is on Slacker Premium.... Past couple months I been listening to Trance/House since I been listening to that since 01. Mainstream killed Dubstep for me, trap is nice, but it'll walk down the same road as Dubstep did.

If I could do it over again, I would have gotten dual 8" Diamond Audio subs.... But as a side-note, the dual 10s can be heard from a block away and if parked in my driveway at half volume, the house rattles.... Bad. So if bass is what you're looking for, these will do the job perfectly.
Old 05-28-13, 08:34 AM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

subbing to this thread.

I am also looking for ideas for my trunk.

I want it clean looking and still want some usable trunk space.
Old 05-30-13, 10:25 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Best bet is to hang a 12" sub from the rear deck and run it infinate baffel or two 10" from the rear deck.

I have one 10 and I think if I got a nicer 10 it would hit pretty hard. It's right behind your head so it's louder than if it was in the trunk and no box means complete trunk space.

Here's what I did.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...s-oem-amp.html

This setup hits LOW, but not super hard because the OEM amp crossover is at 60hz. If you use the OEM amp on any setup it will not hit super hard.
Old 05-30-13, 01:00 PM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm telling you...... 3 8s will beat HARD. No pressure.
Old 05-30-13, 01:53 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

I was thinking about doing three 8's on the rear deck, however I think it might look like too much. But another concern I had is that right now, with the 10" sub box in the trunk, if it's really hitting, I could see that deck flexing all over the place, I wonder if there's a way to prevent that...
Old 05-30-13, 03:14 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

keep in mind the gas tank is between the rear seat and the trunk area. placing a sub against the tank is really not ideal in an LS (in a GS the gas tank is under the car). i see most people recess the sub into the floor, the sides, or the decklid.
Old 05-31-13, 07:35 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

You would need to reinforced the deck. That would fix any rattle and any flex. No biggie. That's easier than building a box. I think 8s that were designed for ib would work. typically 8s have a higher resonate frequency, so they don't hit as low. Especially in ib. A parametric eq could fix that problem.
Old 06-04-13, 01:42 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

So I've completely decided on my setup. One
10 inch subwoofer 10 inch subwoofer
in the left side pocket of the trunk, mounted in a 1 cubic foot box (0.77 cu internal volume) and powered by a 4000 watt (peak) amp running at 4 ohms (so 1000 watts peak and 500 RMS).

So now, here's my question - Which harness should I use (if I even need to) if I plan on just replacing the head unit and adding an amplifier and subwoofer?

On another note, not really sure if this factors into the question above but, I plan on adding a second subwoofer of the same model (in the right side pocket) to the mix (will also be rewiring to them to run at 2 ohms [so now, 2000 watts peak and 1000 watts RMS]) and throwing in a 1000 watt (peak) 4-channel amplifier running at 2 ohms (so 250 x 4 peak and 125 x 4 RMS) which will be used to power a set of 6.5 inch front components and rear speakers.
Old 06-04-13, 02:24 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
So I've completely decided on my setup. One 10 inch subwoofer in the left side pocket of the trunk, mounted in a 1 cubic foot box (0.77 cu internal volume) and powered by a 4000 watt (peak) amp running at 4 ohms (so 1000 watts peak and 500 RMS).

So now, here's my question - Which harness should I use (if I even need to) if I plan on just replacing the head unit and adding an amplifier and subwoofer?

On another note, not really sure if this factors into the question above but, I plan on adding a second subwoofer of the same model (in the right side pocket) to the mix (will also be rewiring to them to run at 2 ohms [so now, 2000 watts peak and 1000 watts RMS]) and throwing in a 1000 watt (peak) 4-channel amplifier running at 2 ohms (so 250 x 4 peak and 125 x 4 RMS) which will be used to power a set of 6.5 inch front components and rear speakers.
I believe you will have to hard wired your HU. I don't think there is a harness readily available for the LS400. It was, at least, true a couple years ago.

Quick Reply: Ideal trunk subwoofer placement in a UCF20?