LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New starter... still just clicks. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 05:12 PM
cpofwacotx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New starter... still just clicks. Help!

I recently purchased this 94 LS400 from a finance company. It was a repo and I was the high bidder at $475.00. I checked the car out as best as I could before bidding (oil, coolant, ect. looked good), but the battery was missing, so I couldn't try starting it. Got it home, tried starting it, and nothing but a single click from the solenoid / starter. After a getting a second opinion, I tackled the painful job of replacing the starter. Long story short, I finished the starter job and still nothing but a single click when I try to start it. The new (remanufactured) starter was tested when I bought it. The motor is not locked up (I've turned the crankshaft bolt by hand). I don't know the history behind the car, so I can't go by any past symptoms, ect.. I've only got about $600.00 in the car total, so I'm not ready to give up yet. Please help, any advise would be appreciated.
Old 05-06-13, 05:25 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i would check the battery. is it new and fully charged? have you tried jump starting it?
Old 05-06-13, 05:29 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cpofwacotx
I recently purchased this 94 LS400 from a finance company. It was a repo and I was the high bidder at $475.00. I checked the car out as best as I could before bidding (oil, coolant, ect. looked good), but the battery was missing, so I couldn't try starting it. Got it home, tried starting it, and nothing but a single click from the solenoid / starter. After a getting a second opinion, I tackled the painful job of replacing the starter. Long story short, I finished the starter job and still nothing but a single click when I try to start it. The new (remanufactured) starter was tested when I bought it. The motor is not locked up (I've turned the crankshaft bolt by hand). I don't know the history behind the car, so I can't go by any past symptoms, ect.. I've only got about $600.00 in the car total, so I'm not ready to give up yet. Please help, any advise would be appreciated.

What does it do when you turn on the lights,,,are they bright?

Did you check the main ground from the battery where it attaches to the block? Also, sometimes battery cables that appear good can be corroded internally.
Old 05-06-13, 05:33 PM
cpofwacotx
Driver School Candidate

I've tried a battery from one of my other vehicles. Maybe the cranking amps are not enough? Also tried a 400 amp jump box.
Old 05-06-13, 05:36 PM
cpofwacotx
Driver School Candidate

Honestly, I've never checked the lights. I do have instrument lights, ect.. I guess checking / changing the cables couldn't hurt. Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-07-13, 05:08 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i would check the battery. is it new and fully charged? have you tried jump starting it?
I agree with Timmy, & midwest, put in the proper battery and try jumping it and do check the ground cables...
Old 05-07-13, 12:09 PM
ReySC
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on a good find and wow the price! Im sure you can figure it out. Update us of development...As stated the right battery, cables connections/corrosion all those fun stuff. Motor is not locked up, new starter tested you would think it would at least crank....Have fun! Good Luck!
Old 05-08-13, 06:56 AM
fecker
Driver School Candidate

maybe check the electrical side going to the started maybe its not getting the full power its suppouse to get like dirty connection or ground going into or out from the starter it does not have to be from the battery since you used a battery that was good and tried a charger best of luck to you keep us informed ^_^
Old 05-08-13, 08:43 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

I'd check the battery and put in a known use battery with high CCA and see if she starts. Great price btw!