LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Some photos for a 95-97 radio replacement

Old 05-05-13, 11:31 AM
ajahearn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some photos for a 95-97 radio replacement

I couldn't find any photos for this model year radio replacement. The procedure is very similar to the one posted on LexLS.com. Some steps to remember:
1) move the driver seat back, move the shifter to the 3rd gear position, and (if you care) write down all your radio presets, before disconnecting the electrical.
2) disconnect the electrical (shorting pins can easily ruin expensive electronics)
3) start by using thin flat blade screwdrivers at the side near the rear of the shifter base plate
The first picture (1269) shows the back of the shifter plate. I've circled the two tabs on the side. I guessed roughly where they were and used two screw drivers to pop the plate. Pull the plate towards the rear of the car being careful not to stress the wire connector at the top (near the ashtray). I didn't bother to disconnect the ashtray and instead just put the plate to the side
4) the second picture (1272) shows the connector and spot where the upper ventilator is located. There are two connectors which have to be removed to free the ventilator (one is obscuring the other). The connectors all have a middle detent that you can press to disconnect. Removing the upper ventilator is never easy. You have to pull it out. I gently use thin flat screwdrivers around the housing to free it up but it is not easy. Again you have to pull hard enough to get it to come out but not too hard to stress the wiring. Just take it slow and it will work.
5) the third picture (1273) shows with the radio/climate control housing removed. The radio/climate control is held in by 4 screws (wrench or phillips to remove). Be careful not to drop the bottom two as you could be searching for quite awhile. With the screws removed the entire assembly can come out. You need to remove all the back connectors to take it out. I started with the antenna connectors (in orange on the right and there are two of them), then the radio connectors (in green), and then the climate control connectors (in purple). Work slowly and do not rush things. Some connectors may not come out easily. With the climate control it was best to start with the connector on the left and then work towards the right given the way the wiring harness is situated.
6) Working at a table I removed the 6 screws, 3 on either side of the assembly circled in pink. The radio can then be taken out by spreading the two sides of the housing assembly.
7) installation is the reverse but it is also a good time to clean any grime away from the shifter plate area. Remember that when re-connecting that the order with which you put the connectors back can make it easier or harder on you. The climate control connectors should be put back starting from the right most one and then working towards the left.

As I was substituting one radio for another I did everything the same day. As a final tip make sure to check the radio before you tighten everything back up. I make sure all the connectors are done and that everything is working again (radio, climate control, clock on ventilator) before I push back in the ventilator, shifter plate, etc.

One last item, although I did not have any problems during my radio change, recently I had a case where the climate control would not work at all. I found out it was due to the cigarette lighter fuse had blown. So if for some reason you experience it not working after putting it back, check the fuse (its in the engine bay fuse box). You should not have this problem if you properly disconnect the battery before starting.
Attached Thumbnails Some photos for a 95-97 radio replacement-img_1269.jpg   Some photos for a 95-97 radio replacement-img_1272.jpg   Some photos for a 95-97 radio replacement-img_1273.jpg   Some photos for a 95-97 radio replacement-img_1274.jpg