LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New LS Owner, 1998 VVTi, minor problems (video incl)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-13, 08:16 PM
Kardon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LS Owner, 1998 VVTi, minor problems (video incl)

Hi CL,

I just registered here, I just picked up a new car, a 1998 LS 400, car is clean:

Video of problem:

I've always been a huge toyota fan, here are some of the previous toyota's I've owned:

1992 Toyota Aristo (JZS147) - SOLD
1991 Toyota Land Cruiser (HDJ81) - SOLD
2006 Toyota X-Runner - SOLD
1992 Toyota Aristo (JZS147) - SOLD
1994 Toyota Hilux Surf (KZN130) - SOLD
1984 Toyota Corolla SR5

So yeah.. I like toyotas. So I bought their flagship last week to see whats what.

So far the car is good, amazing ride for the kilometers, engine is powerful, yada yada, here are the problems:

So the car needs brakes (warped rotors) - any recommendations? OEM replacement good enough?

But this is what I need help with, during WOT (wide open throttle) the car pauses, grabs a lower gear, and rockets ahead. This is all good, but it seems that when I roll the windows down and do a WOT pull, I hear a high pitch whistle/frequency.. I think it's coming from the engine bay, but I'm not entirely sure. I can't replicate the sound without actually driving the car (revving it in P does not cause the sound to happen). Any ideas?

I've seen the coolant temp sensor can increase throttle response? I might need to do this as I find the car seems to lack throttle response, still pulls hard during WOT though.

And finally, I'm going to have to keep an eye on it, but I think my coolant level is changing.. I swore when I first looked at the car I was maybe 1.5 cm low on the coolant reservoir, but after driving it today the coolant level looks to be above the 'high' mark. Also, when I shut off the car after a hard drive and popped the hood, I could hear fluid/air/bubbles coming from the lid of the coolant reservoir tank. - Coolant is pink, looks okay.

Thanks everybody!

Last edited by Kardon; 05-04-13 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-04-13, 10:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if its not rpm related its not a harmonics issue from dead mounts, so i would venture to guess and say a tiny pre-MAF intake leak, only making itself apparent under max vacuum.

check the entire intake and all vacuum lines.

possibly throttle body seal, though unlikely i think.
Old 05-04-13, 10:59 PM
Kardon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
if its not rpm related its not a harmonics issue from dead mounts, so i would venture to guess and say a tiny pre-MAF intake leak, only making itself apparent under max vacuum.

check the entire intake and all vacuum lines.

possibly throttle body seal, though unlikely i think.

I thought perhaps a possible vacuum leak, but it was my understanding that vacuum leaks are most apparent at idle, as that's when the engine creates the most vacuum in the intake manifold due to the throttle being shut.

I was talking to a bloke on xbox live, and he said that he's had something like that happen from crap building on the edge of the throttle plate, he called it a burr on the throttle plate. Sounds somewhat likely, as it sound my car makes seems to be a whistle, or something 'air' based. Perhaps a throttle body cleaning is in order..
Old 05-05-13, 08:05 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Can't hear much of the sound you are describing, but I suspect it is either air intake, or a small exhaust whistle that only shows up at maximum pressure (or vacuum). Just to create the sound longer for diagnosing where it might be coming from, try putting the trans in either 2nd or 3rd, and going WOT from about 10 mph. If you can do this next to a lane railing or concrete divider, it will reflect noises much better.
Also remove the air filter and see if that makes any difference; if it's clogged up, it may be causing very high vacuum in the MAF chamber which can cause whistling. A restricted exhaust pipe/converter could do the same thing.
Old 05-05-13, 11:58 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Post pictures of that 84' Corolla!
Old 05-05-13, 03:54 PM
Kardon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
Post pictures of that 84' Corolla!
Haha alrighty

I hear that a clogged cat can cause a big loss of power, thankfully it doesn't seem like the car is down on power.

Seems like the car has a k&n filter, I'll replace this with a new filter during my next service. Any suggestions for new filter?

Also, does anybody have a picture of the suspension with the strut rod bushing labeled? It might be the cause of my shaky front end during braking. Does this sound right? Car doesn't seem to have any shake until you apply the brakes, I figured it was warped rotors, but previous owner said he just had them turned, and they still look quite thick to me.
Old 05-05-13, 04:09 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by fixmiester
Can't hear much of the sound you are describing, but I suspect it is either air intake, or a small exhaust whistle that only shows up at maximum pressure (or vacuum). Just to create the sound longer for diagnosing where it might be coming from, try putting the trans in either 2nd or 3rd, and going WOT from about 10 mph. If you can do this next to a lane railing or concrete divider, it will reflect noises much better.
Also remove the air filter and see if that makes any difference; if it's clogged up, it may be causing very high vacuum in the MAF chamber which can cause whistling. A restricted exhaust pipe/converter could do the same thing.
I have experienced this below causing an intermittent whistle sound. The crack was at the lower side of the ventilation hose connected to the PCV valve and I could not see it before removing the hose.

I did not notice any big performance change before and after the fix. The only difference I noticed was the idle rpm. It dropped about 50rpm.
Old 05-05-13, 04:52 PM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a vacuum leak, spraying carb cleaner would find it and race the motor.
Old 11-18-13, 09:12 AM
shanjam
Driver School Candidate

check rubbers on MAF intake might have a small split?